Thread: Gig question

User Info Menu

Default Gig question

For those that are gigging how often do you guys play in a month or two month period?
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gig question

2 gigs in January, 5 February gigs, 6 in March, only 2 gigs booked so far in April, but that'll change.

User Info Menu

Being that 3/4 of us are married with kids and careers, and we are not a cover band (like for extra income or whatever) we try to play once a month in different areas. Sometimes twice if we're asked to play with a national that's coming through and we already have another show in the same month. We feel that it's enough to keep the locals in each area "into" us, and not too much to where they don't want to come to every show because they just saw us 2 weeks ago.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

My band played 17 gigs last calendar year.
    We don't live in a big market and we were actually gigging too much at one specific bar.
    We have decided to back off a little bit this year and keep it to a once-per-month average..............maybe even less.
    We also like to constantly work up new material, which as we all know, takes some time too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

the band I'm covering for only played 14 shows last year...

The band I was in last year played 97....

I'll enjoy the once a month sessions.

User Info Menu

1-2 times per month. We could, if we wanted to, gig Thursday-Saturday of every week. Live music is still doing well here.

User Info Menu

Cool just wonder what you guys were doing.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Being that I do this for a living I play three to four times a week . Sometimes you play two gigs on Saturday or Sunday . There is a big market for live music but it doesn't pay much . The band I'm in plays a Motown thing for big shows and dances . And we also do an all Blues thing so we play at all the Blues Festivals and such . And of coarse the top 40 thing for the clubs and louges . But I also will do a small jazz trio thing durring the week or play a big Latin dance with my Mexican friends . There's a lot of jockeying and hustle to make a living in this small town and you have to be able to play lots of different styles competently . Being single , never been married , with no kids helps . So does having a truck and a strong back LOL .

User Info Menu

We're a cover band and all have day jobs and families. We play 3-4 times a month usually.

User Info Menu

We like to have at least one gig per month, but try to limit it to no more than three. We also avoid back-to-back nights. We played around 20 gigs last year and looks like we'll be playing around 25-30 this year. Same reasons as everyone else; family & work come first, plus we never want to be over-exposed in one particular area. Two of the venues we play regularly at are almost 200 miles away from each other. We stay within 2hrs of home in any direction.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We are just getting started as a new band but are planning on gigging twice a month. So far, March and April are in the books!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm in a cover band with a married couple (with kids), the guitar player has grown kids, and the bass player is retired. We have 30 gigs scheduled for this entire year. We play around a resort town with a lake, so 3-4 times a month in the summer and 1-2 during the off season in neighboring towns.

User Info Menu

Roughly 25 gigs a year. It's a side/for fun thing for us. "Be as good as you can be given the time allowed and just have fun with it" is our frame of mind.

User Info Menu

4-5 nights a week for 45-48 weeks a year, for 32 years. (Average)

I didn't get tired of playing, I got tired of traveling and, as more and more clubs closed, we all got tired of dealing with club owners who made it sound like the decline in clubs (some of those club owners were on the verge of closing) was the fault of the bands and what they had to pay for "good" bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    got tired of dealing with club owners who made it sound like the decline in clubs (some of those club owners were on the verge of closing) was the fault of the bands and what they had to pay for "good" bands.
    We are still dealing with that kind of idiot.
    One guy shorted us last year because he didn't have the crowd he expected.
    We told him his bad service and watery drinks are being discussed by the patrons.

We played six nights per week in the 70s because that is what the club-contract called for.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

The band I am in now does 1 a month average and then we play with an Elvis Impersonator 4 times a year as well, 3 in summer and once for NY's eve. I would play more if the right situation came along but I ma fine with current set up.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    We are still dealing with that kind of idiot.
    One guy shorted us last year because he didn't have the crowd he expected.
    We told him his bad service and watery drinks are being discussed by the patrons.
    I've noticed (locally) that the venue and type of patrons seem to be the dominant factor. The places that establish a rep for good live music and great atmosphere seem to always have a great turnout (as long as the band is decent and doesn't chase people out). It used to bother me when we have a poor turnout, but I learned to quit worrying about It. People always have a great time at our shows and compliment us during breaks, so I figure that's all any bar owner can ask. It's unrealistic to expect the band to impact a venue's established business model for 4 hours out of the week/month/year.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm old, let's face it. I'd like to play 2X a month but it doesn't work like that. I've worked hard to make more per gig, to play nicer places and work less often. The fact is that I've ended up playing way more than that. It's a great act and therefore highly desirable so I roll with it. These things that we do are finite and will ultimately come to an end. So I embrace it. I was completely out of the business five years ago. I was burned out. When I decided to get back in, it was with a plan and a few requirements. Things change though. I'm doing things now that I've never done before and it's forced me to modify my game plan. I have to do these shows. This doesn't just come along every day. I get to do some things that most drummers never experience and I know that it won't last forever. So I'm doing it now. For all the joy and the headaches. I know that someday I will look back on this time and miss it.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    We played six nights per week in the 70s because that is what the club-contract called for.

Yeah, we had weeks like that, too. On top of that try working 60 - 80 hour work weeks in retail, back then. No wonder I look like I've been around since the days of the dinosaur.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    It used to bother me when we have a poor turnout, but I learned to quit worrying about It. People always have a great time at our shows and compliment us during breaks, so I figure that's all any bar owner can ask. It's unrealistic to expect the band to impact a venue's established business model for 4 hours out of the week/month/year.
    Amen, Brother..................I'll also add that this specific bar-owner asked us to move our date from a Friday to a Saturday during football season.
    I knew immediately that we would not have a great crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I'm old, let's face it. It's a great act and therefore highly desirable so I roll with it. These things that we do are finite and will ultimately come to an end. So I embrace it. I was completely out of the business five years ago. I was burned out. I have to do these shows. This doesn't just come along every day. For all the joy and the headaches. I know that someday I will look back on this time and miss it.
    Well said, Dog. We have more in common than you think.
    I'm currently in a band that has some really good players and I'm making sure I give all I've got because this feels like the last opportunity (at least for this type of music).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

My "main" band only gigged a few times last year. We are hoping to up it this year. My new band has played twice in the past month but have more gigs coming. I am hoping to stay really busy this year with both bands.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Yeah, we had weeks like that, too. On top of that try working 60 - 80 hour work weeks in retail, back then. No wonder I look like I've been around since the days of the dinosaur.
    Bish, I don't know how to break this to you, but you have been around since the days of the dinosaur, but, don't feel bad because I'm running to stay ahead of dirt.

I'm old, let's face it. I'd like to play 2X a month but it doesn't work like that. I've worked hard to make more per gig, to play nicer places and work less often. The fact is that I've ended up playing way more than that. It's a great act and therefore highly desirable so I roll with it. These things that we do are finite and will ultimately come to an end. So I embrace it. I was completely out of the business five years ago. I was burned out. When I decided to get back in, it was with a plan and a few requirements. Things change though. I'm doing things now that I've never done before and it's forced me to modify my game plan. I have to do these shows. This doesn't just come along every day. I get to do some things that most drummers never experience and I know that it won't last forever. So I'm doing it now. For all the joy and the headaches. I know that someday I will look back on this time and miss it.
    The days that I (we) grew up playing with, are long gone. My 1st band was 1961. We would play anything as long as it was done by the Ventures or Sandy Nelson. I have no idea how many times I played "Let There Be Drums"

While there have been so many way more technically difficult drum solo's, I don't think any of them was as "Bada$$" sounding as "Let There Be Drums".

User Info Menu

I'm old, let's face it. I get to do some things that most drummers never experience and I know that it won't last forever. So I'm doing it now. For all the joy and the headaches. I know that someday I will look back on this time and miss it.

What is your age and what things do you get to do that most of us do not?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO