Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you grunt when you play the drums?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Do you grunt when you play the drums?

We often talk about the faces drummer's make while playing. Have you ever noticed that some drummers seem to grunt or make weird vocal sounds when they play? Weird.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you grunt when you play the drums?

Yes I did ...but not anymore . Back when I first got back to playing I was doing small Jazz-ish type gigs and the piano player loved playing sambas . So I use to do this low long grunt when the shin muscle on my bass drum leg would start to tense up . I don't do it anymore . But for some reason now when I play a samba groove I have to stare at the bass drum beater or I loose the groove .

User Info Menu

I do and always did grunt when playing drums also when I am passing cars and shifting gears I grunt with the engine revs lol.

User Info Menu

not grunt but apparently my tongue comes out a lot during harder fills and beats lol

User Info Menu

I know a pro soundman that talks about drummers that wear headset microphones.................big mistake !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Can't say I ever "grunt", but sometimes I get caught up watching dancers or the TV behind the bar while I'm playing. On occasion, I may let out a "woo-hoo" or "yee-haaa" during an appropriate song. I've also noticed that one of our lead guitar players moves his tongue around in his mouth when he's playing a solo. It's like he's singing his solo with his mouth closed.

This is gonna be a funny thread. LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I wouldn't call it a grunt but more of melodically humming to the beats.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

More of a singing sound...filling in inside my head the instruments that I hear that aren't there I guess.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I think I do what's called"keening" (high pitched humming) and I don't know why.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

No grunts or sounds of any kind. Louie Belson, Shawn, Blakey, and more than a few others did.

What bothered me were the drummers that made stupid faces that even Charlie Callas couldn't make.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    No grunts or sounds of any kind. Louie Belson, Shawn, Blakey, and more than a few others did.

What bothered me were the drummers that made stupid faces that even Charlie Callas couldn't make.
    There's a name I haven't heard in 30 years! Charlie Callas was made of rubber.

User Info Menu

Yup. Keep a microphone away from my face! I make all sorts of violent noises when I play. I'm a bit of a maniac though. When I make all those crazy faces, they are accompanied by equally crazy sounds. Thankfully hidden by the music.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I had to learn how to keep breathing during fills. I found myself breathing normal during the groove but once I threw in a fill, I found myself holding my breath until I got back into the pocket which led to some low grunts but I finally broke out of that bad habit when I started singing back up harmony which meant I had to always had to be ready to sing at any given moment during the chorus and having a mic next to my mouth always meant I was always "on". The grunting could of easily been picked up by the open mic but many who heard me sing in the past may of thought the grunting was my attempt to sing?

User Info Menu

Only during fills with lots of power. Or when I smash my knuckles on the floor tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Or when I smash my knuckles on the floor tom.

Winner!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Negative. Only grunt when confronted by stupid people.

User Info Menu

Only when our bassist forgets where he is in a song and stops playing. I found grunting at him to be less violent than a flying drumstick in his right ear.

Tex

User Info Menu

I click my teeth when I'm counting.

I know, I'm a weirdo.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I click my teeth when I'm counting.

I know, I'm a weirdo.
    Me too! Not when counting but in general when I'm playing. It's rather annoying.

User Info Menu

No grunting, but I will yell at myself when I screw up a part that I am playing lol
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    No grunting, but I will yell at myself when I screw up a part that I am playing lol
    Me too! I also clench my jaw and grind my teeth in time.

User Info Menu

Me too! Not when counting but in general when I'm playing. It's rather annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    This might sound weird but when not behind my kit I play drum beats with my teeth. Worn out a few front ones doing it. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
    Me too! I also clench my jaw and grind my teeth in time.
    OK, I don't feel so bad about doing this now. LOL!

I find myself clicking my teeth quietly for the bass drum and a little louder for the snare. For fills and such, I grind them back and forth! LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post

I find myself clicking my teeth quietly for the bass drum and a little louder for the snare. For fills and such, I grind them back and forth! LOL!
    Geez, I hope you keep your drum solos short...

edentulous.jpg

User Info Menu

Good lord that's scary. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

This might sound weird but when not behind my kit I play drum beats with my teeth. Worn out a few front ones doing it. lol