Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evans hydraulic drum heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans hydraulic drum heads

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Check out this video below (with some terrific drumming); to all that think the Hydraulics are for the heavy hitters, not necessarily.
    Depending on your shell selection and your tuning methods, you can get some delicate tones just like other heads (and still benefit from the durability).
    I could swear I see Gadd using the blue heads here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3btjXdHak4
    Look closer and you will see that he is using the REMO Pinstripes . Lighting can play tricks on the eyes ..

User Info Menu

Is there any difference between the Evans Hydraulics and Remo Pinstipes? They both say 2 ply, 7 mils, and oil filled.

I've used Pinstripes off and on for years. I've found that it may not always be the best sound for toms, but I can at least always get a good, usable sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    Is there any difference between the Evans Hydraulics and Remo Pinstipes? They both say 2 ply, 7 mils, and oil filled.

I've used Pinstripes off and on for years. I've found that it may not always be the best sound for toms, but I can at least always get a good, usable sound.
    From what I've been told by various REMO reps ... no there is no oil in the Pinstripes .
    Back in the day I would take a used Pinstripe and strip the top layer off . Then cut around an inch from the rim then again at the hoop and then place that under the snare head . Sorta like the Power Strokes have now . Never did I feel any type of oil film on the heads after I cut them .
    The Evens tho did have a slight bit of oil ...as if someone took an oily rag and wiped the inside of the heads with it .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Look closer and you will see that he is using the REMO Pinstripes.
    I could not tell with any certainty....................hence my hedge.
    But it all sounded fine to me.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have noticed that some clear twin ply heads appear to have oil between the plies but in reality they don't. When I fitted new Evans G2 batters last summer the multi-coloured 'oil on water' effect was easy to see when I took them out of the packaging - as I progressively tightened the 'oil' seemed to recede from the centre of the heads until there was a faint ring close to the bearing edges. I think its just a trick of the light as G2s don't have oil between the plies. Maybe mylar is made from oil by-products and the light shining through causes this effect?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I have noticed that some clear twin ply heads appear to have oil between the plies but in reality they don't. When I fitted new Evans G2 batters last summer the multi-coloured 'oil on water' effect was easy to see when I took them out of the packaging - as I progressively tightened the 'oil' seemed to recede from the centre of the heads until there was a faint ring close to the bearing edges. I think its just a trick of the light as G2s don't have oil between the plies. Maybe mylar is made from oil by-products and the light shining through causes this effect?
    It's called the "prism" effect. Although no oil is present between 2 ply clear heads, light shining through it will refract between the plies and cause what appears to be a rainbow effect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    It's called the "prism" effect. Although no oil is present between 2 ply clear heads, light shining through it will refract between the plies and cause what appears to be a rainbow effect.
    Thank you ! Ya beat me to it ..ha ha .

User Info Menu

I believe Evans used a drop or two of hydraulic oil between the plies, hence the name. The theory at the time was that the oil was an absorber of energy, giving the heads that classic "deadened" sound.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks - I knew there had to be some logical explanation. I bought a second hand cheapo 14" FT about 4 years ago that had a no-name twin ply Pinstripe knock-off fitted - this effect was very noticeable and I was absolutely convinced that it had oil between the plies (I had it tuned as low as possible and if I pressed the head with my finger the 'oil' appeared to move around inside the head). When I fitted a replacement batter I cut up the old head to make a damping ring to lay on top of my snare head - it was bone dry and there was definitely no oil between the plies - that one had me confused.

User Info Menu

I use them on a couple of vintage kits.Toms on a Ludwig Vistalite & Fibes Chrystallite.Love the sound.