Thread: Not Sure Where To Start....

User Info Menu

Default Not Sure Where To Start....

Hey folks.
    I just recently got back into drumming after a long stretch as a bassist. I'm having a hell of a time getting the sound I want out of my Mapex Horizon kit. I really don't know all that much about tuning drums, as I was drumming in a punk band that didn't really care much about the quality of the drum sound, so much as just making loud punk rock. Now that I want a decent sound, I have no clue what I'm doing.
    Any tuning tips for a re-newbie? I'm playing more Metal (Motorhead)/Old School Hardcore (Agnostic Front/Madball) stuff, if that helps.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Not Sure Where To Start....

What heads are you currently using and how old are they?

User Info Menu

To actually get a "sound" you want, will require experimentation with different heads.

As for tuning a drum, there are tons of tuning videos on YouTube that can take you 100 different directions. Everyone has their own preference and technique as to what works best. You, too, will find one you like once you've done some tuning yourself.

Simplest basic set of steps, that work for me....

I usually start with the lowest tom and go for the best sound as low as possible.
    Then:
    1. Loosen the heads.
    2. Start with reso and finger tighten all lugs.
    3. Give each lug one half turn with a drum key.
    4. If you need to, continue using quarter turns but the goal is to get the lugs the same pitch. Once you have a desired resonance or sustain, repeat with the batter head.
    5. Move up to the next smallest drum until you have them all completed.

Eventually you'll start to know where the sweet spots are for your ears.

Good luck, have fun, don't give up. Your sound is out there.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hi Rob, I haven't welcomed you to the forum yet, so welcome.

In addition to tuning, which Bish covered pretty well, there are a variety of heads that you can choose from to get the sound that you want. If you're looking for a more wide open sound, you'll want a single or double ply head on top (batter), with a single ply head on the bottom (resonant). For a little less openness, you could go with a coated head. I prefer a more controlled sound, so I use a double ply with with built in overtone control ring (Evans EC2 Clear) as the batter on my toms, with a single ply resonant head. I also use a, Evans HD Dry batter head on my snare, with a single ply Evans 300 head on the snare side.

If you want to get an idea of what different heads will do for your tone, then I would suggest going to the Evans site and go through their drum heads.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm using Remo heads. I'm not exactly sure how old they are, since I bought the kit used, this past summer. They're due for replacing, but they're still in relatively decent shape.
    I Play Drums, Because I Can't Hit People With Sticks.

User Info Menu

Awesome. Thank you so much for the advice.
    I Play Drums, Because I Can't Hit People With Sticks.

User Info Menu

So, how did it turn out? Did you get new heads or put up with the old ones?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yes, I agree with Bish. I have been tuning my drums that way for years. It is the starting point to tuning and then you take it from there and tweak up or down till you find you're sound. Good luck and have fun tunning.