Thread: Which Pearl Export? Or something else?

User Info Menu

Default Which Pearl Export? Or something else?

So I've been saving up for a new kit since I've been gigging a lot more and the one I have now is a piece of crap. I've been seriously considering some Pearl Exports but saw that there are 2 kinds, the EXX and the EXL. Has anyone played either of these? And, besides the price, what's the difference? I have also been thinking about the Mapex Armory. Does anyone know what they are like?

The most important thing for a kit to have for me, besides being fairly cheap, is versitility. I play in one punk band, one soft rock/pop band and play the blues in the summer so i need something that i can use for all of these.

Thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Pearl Export? Or something else?

A good used kit is the best value; we are now in a strong buyers market.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I would agree with looking at the used market to get a better kit at a good price, especially since you have money saved up for the purchase.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Used gets my vote. Have no experience with the Pearls, but Yamaha Stage Custom used is a nice road to go.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I have a set of Pearl Exports EXL that I bought 4-5 years ago. I don't play out or in a band, but I LOVE my drumset. I also have an electronic kit and I bet I haven't sat down at it more than twice since I bought the Exports.

The EX, ELX, and EXR are the same drums, just with a different finish. thats all there is. The ELXs are more expensive because they are laquered., whereas the others are wrapped.

I have the ELX. I haven't heard of the EXX until you mentioned it.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

My Exports were used and are in excellent shape! I would definately buy used Exports again!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Very wise advice about the used drum market but sometimes buying a brand new kit with a warranty may be a path for some. You asked about the Mapex Armory kit? This particular model caught my eye. I'm a sucker for wood finishes especially walnut. What is your budget? The kit I posted below retails for $899 new. Look around your local CL or browse the used gear section on most big box online music stores or go to your local independent music store and see what $899 can buy you new or used. See how much further you can move "up" to a used kit within $899.

mapex.jpg

Tech Specs
    Finish- Transparent Walnut
    Configuration- Shell pack with snare
    Number of Drums- 6
    Snare (Depth x Diameter)- 5.5" x 14"
    Mounted Toms (Depth x Diameter)- 7" x 10", 8" x 12"
    Floor Toms (Depth x Diameter)- 12" x 14", 14" x 16"
    Bass Drums (Depth x Diameter)- 18" x 22"
    Shell Material- Birch/Maple shells, stainless steel snare

User Info Menu

At the Guitar Center out here and in Phoenix I've seen the Gretsch Marque shell packs going for $699 new .
    I'm of the opinion that you can use ANY kit in any situation . Any kit will get you through all the different bands you mentioned .
    If you plan on gigging a lot I would suggest you get something in a wrap . Stained shells are nice but they do tend to show wear a lot sooner . You might say "oh I'll be careful" but things happen beyond your control and you start getting a nick here and another there ... I do this for a living and I gig a lot so I know what I'm talking about .
    The Pearl Exports are good drums but if you plan on doing this a lot , like you suggested , I would go up the food chain a little and go for the Decade Maples .

User Info Menu

Another vote for buying a used mid range shell pack rather than a new Export.

If you decide you must have a new set the Birch Mapex Mars shell packs are available for a similar price to a new Export set (well they are in the UK!), they are available in several sizes/configurations - all wrapped so, as Jedi stated above, more suitable for regular gigging. The range of colours is rather limited, but they are good, well made drums if you can live with the plain Jane looks. On the bang for buck ratio Mapex are hard to beat.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the advice! I'll make sure to check out CL as soon as I can

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll make sure to check out CL as soon as I can
    I sold 5 full shell packs on my local CL and here's a few tips on the buying end of the process. Some are common sense suggestions:

• None of my transactions were made on my property.
    • All of the prospected buyers knew enough of the characteristics of the shell packs they were interested in so no "test drives" were necessary. They just inspected the shells for scratches and the hoops for pitting or corrosion.
    • All of my transactions took place during daylight in the parking lot of my local independent music stores. Security cameras were facing out into the parking lot and the music store staff were made aware of my intentions at the time I was on their property.
    • Most sellers are trying to re-coup their cost back so ignore those listings where the prices are comparable to "Big Box Store" used shell packs. (Figure 1/2 price off of what's listed online as "used")
    • Look for sellers that offer free cases for the shell pack. I made sure I scrounged around for some old cases I could "give away" with each shell pack I sold.

Good luck. I had great luck on finding good "homes" for the shell packs I sold but I made sure the prices I posted were too good to walk away from.
    Last edited by late8; 03-22-2017 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Good advise Rich cause you sold quite a few kits over the years so you know the pros and cons of selling .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Good advise Rich cause you sold quite a few kits over the years so you know the pros and cons of selling .
    Thanks Gilles! I wish I didn't have to sell my 2006 Pearl Sessions or the 2007 Pearl ECX kits but I can't look back...only moving forward. At least I found a good deal on the '89 Export double bass birch kit. In my opinion, that kits sounds so much better than the modern offerings of today's Pearl Export line...

$400 for this kit including the factory snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I made sure the prices I posted were too good to walk away from.
    That he did..................I remember a few.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Buying used is good advise. Good deals to be had out there. There are some very, very good new kits available that are very affordable. One example is the Mapex Meridian Maple. A 5 pc shell pack can be had for $599. There are others. Look at all your options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Buying used is good advise. Good deals to be had out there. There are some very, very good new kits available that are very affordable. One example is the Mapex Meridian Maple. A 5 pc shell pack can be had for $599. There are others. Look at all your options.
    PM'd Ramona. I've been looking to sell my Meridian Maple kit since I got the Starclassic B/B's. Great drums, just don't need them anymore.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle