Thread: Sugardaddys - Second gig report (Sort of)

User Info Menu

Default Sugardaddys - Second gig report (Sort of)

Small story. Pause this and go get your drink and something to snack on....I'll wait......

Ok, ready?

We had our 2nd gig on Saturday. It went well, nothing great, no catastrophes. Now on to the (Sort of)...

2 weeks ago a friend posted on FB about an annual memorial held for his brother who passed several years ago. This is a family of blues players to the max. The Pena brothers are legendary in our area. They are all around my age but since they were all into blues and more of a family band, I never played with them, but have known them for probably 40 years.

This event is open season for any and all musicians to come up and play of few songs with other musicians and just have a huge jam session, this one last from 3-7 the following day of our performance. This is also the 5th year running for this event.

So I messaged him asking if he'd need anything since we would have a full stage of gear already there. (He didn't know this nor did he know my band was playing, when I asked him.) He messaged back he needed a sound guy. This family and friends bring their own gear and they rent a P/A system and self coordinate the entire event. I told him I'd see if I could come up with something.

Our guitarist runs our sound and also runs his own sound system for many other bands in our area and is highly acclaimed. I approached him with the idea of him donating his time to assist and SINCE our P/A would already be there, let them use it. I had already decided I was going to let them use my drums and all they should need was guitar and bass amps. We also supplied a keyboard if necessary. He agreed.

We finished our gig Saturday night. Left without having to tear down any gear which was nice and then came back to the bar around 2 the following afternoon to make sure everything went well. After the show, we torn down our gear and myself and the guitarist loaded up the drums and P/A since we didn't have to the previous night.

All in all the night was a success and the family and all the 20 some other musicians that got up and played were very grateful for our ability to help them enjoy their afternoon. For me it was a good feeling to be part of something so special to so many people.

Here's a couple photos.

First one is the kit we used for the weekend which sounded so good it was unbelievable. The second picture is of the two guys my age on drums and guitar (on the right in the picture) and two very good musicians which are the grandsons of the drummer and guitarist. It was cool to watch and I know the kids were having a great time.

Thanks for reading.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sugardaddys - Second gig report (Sort of)

Good story..................very gracious of you to provide resources to musician-friends................happy to know all went well.
    The drums look good up there (so does that amp-rack).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That is what it is all about. Musicians helping other musicians and friends.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Way to go Mark! Very gracious and generous of you! Kit looks amazing under them lights!

User Info Menu

That sounds like alot fun bud..Nice of you to donate like that. What kit is that?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Cool! Sounds fun
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments!!!

The kit is made up of Ddrum maples and Remo Pins ======get this====== top AND bottom!!!!! BAM!

Best setup yet that I've found for maple and micing. (Not sure on birch or B/B yet) Soon.....LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

As an aside...

Here's the kit in my basement after getting them from auction last summer.

Thought I'd posted these before but here they are.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Mark, this is one of those stories that just reinforces what we all know - you're a classy guy. BTW, I remember seeing pics of those drums when you got them, and man are those good looking!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Mark, this is one of those stories that just reinforces what we all know - you're a classy guy. BTW, I remember seeing pics of those drums when you got them, and man are those good looking!

Thank you, PB!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cool story Bish love the kit too
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Thanks, Conrad!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow...I thought for sure the kit was Tama SC. ddrum makes some nice kits. Love the fade sparkle. Is it a wrap or a lacquered finish? Thanks...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow...I thought for sure the kit was Tama SC. ddrum makes some nice kits. Love the fade sparkle. Is it a wrap or a lacquered finish? Thanks...
    Embarrassingly I can't tell. It looks like a wrap but there is no seam.
    Signature here