Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Band Bring In Stage Lights?

User Info Menu

Default Does Your Band Bring In Stage Lights?

One of the guys in the band wants to invest in some stage lights out of his own pocket. I have two PAR 64 slim LED lights that I was planning on using on the floor next to the kit to simply point them upwards. I have no DMX controller, just two singles plugged into the A/C outlet. Right now, I got both of them hung from the garage door bracket. One is aimed at the band banner and the other is directly over my kit and the lights give the garage a vibe and some atmosphere.

For those of you who bring in stage lights at gigs:

• What are you using for lights?
    • What are some of the "pitfalls" you encountered as in overloading circuits in a small venue?
    • Who sets up and operates the lights or are they on auto pilot?

The plan is to eventually go with this set up pictured below. We are going to rely on a remote foot switch and have pre-set scenes set up for different songs but here's the catch. The foot switch will be operated by ME. I'm not quite sure if this would work but I'm willing to give it a try.

I have enough pedals to deal with since I'm using a double bass drum set up but apparently the programming will be simple enough to set up lighting scenes in accordance to the set list where certain songs will have certain key lights activated by me and of course I will need to hit the black out after certain songs. You see any issues with this? Are you drumming and operating lights too?
    Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

$600-$700 USD without the cable free D-Fi USB.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does Your Band Bring In Stage Lights?

Rich, we bring in our lights about 75% of the time - just depends on the venue. I wish I could tell you exactly what we have but I'm ignorant on this subject. So...I've attached a picture below. If we bring all our guns out, it would include the lights you see behind me on the rack system up high; also look on our mains - there are two light bars pointing back at the band; and finally, the 'spots' under my kit shining up through the toms. These are all synced to some fancy system that rotates, spins, sparkles, and makes us look better than we actually are. It's fairly impressive - the only thing it's lacking is the ability to bring me a Shiner Bock between songs. Hope this helps a little.

Tex
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Texdrumr; 03-28-2017 at 11:28 AM.

User Info Menu

We have 4 rack bars (each on its own tripod and riser pole) of 4 thin LEDs and wireless controller ran from a laptop.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The band I was in for 12 years had their own sound and lights; my current band has neither.
    The clubs we play have both....................one has excellent both.
    When we play private gigs, we hire a friend of ours that has the best (ever) sound system and good lighting too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

We have a very small pair of LED bars that we use on occasion. We just set one on top of each PA main speaker or on the floor somewhere. They don't flash and are not sound activated...they just change colors every so often. Only use them for ambiance lighting. They're small and light (no stands), so we carry them everywhere and use if needed. If it's a bigger place or outdoor gig, our lead player brings his LED light racks w/stands. Here's a stage pic of us Saturday night using his full light setup.

IMG_0826.jpg

LED's are awesome. Lightweight, compact and high output of multi-colors. They draw nothing for power and don't give off heat.

One caveat- our lead singer is 67yrs old and sufferers from occasional seizures. I'm very careful that we NEVER have any flashing lights on stage that might set him off, LOL. That's him standing back by me, blowing on his harp.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Rich, we bring in our lights about 75% of the time - just depends on the venue. I wish I could tell you exactly what we have but I'm ignorant on this subject. So...I've attached a picture below. If we bring all our guns out, it would include the lights you see behind me on the rack system up high; also look on our mains - there are two light bars pointing back at the band; and finally, the 'spots' under my kit shining up through the toms. These are all synced to some fancy system that rotates, spins, sparkles, and makes us look better than we actually are. It's fairly impressive - the only thing it's lacking is the ability to bring me a Shiner Bock between songs. Hope this helps a little.

Tex
    image.jpg
    Thanks man! You guys look great under those lights, especially the lights that shine up from under your kit! Makes me want to fly out from Cali to see you guys play! Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    We have 4 rack bars (each on its own tripod and riser pole) of 4 thin LEDs and wireless controller ran from a laptop.
    That's a sweet set up Mark. Four rack bars with 4 thin LEDS on each. Is the laptop running sequenced program that you guys set up using a software program? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The band I was in for 12 years had their own sound and lights; my current band has neither.
    The clubs we play have both....................one has excellent both.
    When we play private gigs, we hire a friend of ours that has the best (ever) sound system and good lighting too.
    That's a cool arrangement! The guys are starting to think of stage aesthetics which would include lighting, maybe a bucket riser for the kit but were also conscience of hauling too much gear around. Looks like we might end up using my 8 channel PA system to start out with but that means I'm hauling a double bass kit and the PA. The lights and the set up will have to be handled by somebody else in the band. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and get stuck setting up lights too. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    We have a very small pair of LED bars that we use on occasion. We just set one on top of each PA main speaker or on the floor somewhere. They don't flash and are not sound activated...they just change colors every so often. Only use them for ambiance lighting. They're small and light (no stands), so we carry them everywhere and use if needed. If it's a bigger place or outdoor gig, our lead player brings his LED light racks w/stands. Here's a stage pic of us Saturday night using his full light setup.

IMG_0826.jpg

LED's are awesome. Lightweight, compact and high output of multi-colors. They draw nothing for power and don't give off heat.

One caveat- our lead singer is 67yrs old and sufferers from occasional seizures. I'm very careful that we NEVER have any flashing lights on stage that might set him off, LOL. That's him standing back by me, blowing on his harp.
    Man that looks so professional Brian thank you! That blue lighting looks really nice! It gives me plenty of ideas on where to set them up. I like the lights on the mains pointing back and I also like the light bar behind Tex's kit. It looks like a theatre setting. It's amazing how lights can add so much to the image of the band.
    Last edited by late8; 03-28-2017 at 03:11 PM.

User Info Menu

We got by with 2 candles and a flashlight.

Nobody in the crowd knew who was playing, but if we had a bad night, that could be a good thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

Nobody in the crowd knew who was playing, but if we had a bad night, that could be a good thing.
    Lol!! Classic rickthedrummer response!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Lol!! Classic rickthedrummer response!!
    Rich, that's why they paid me the big bucks.

User Info Menu

We bring 6 to 12 DMX-512 18 LED RGB Stage Par Lights to every show that doesn't have stage lights. I have 2 with me at all gigs to uplight the kit.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

I have to believe this since it has happened even though there are no pictures to prove it. The cameras back then didn't do so well in low light.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There was a reason they used candles and flashlights back in Rick's day. It didn't draw attention from the cops. Then....several years later.....Prohibition was repealed and it was safe to go back to electric lighting.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I have to believe this since it has happened even though there are no pictures to prove it. The cameras back then didn't do so well in low light.
    I do still have the flashlight.

There was a reason they used candles and flashlights back in Rick's day. It didn't draw attention from the cops. Then....several years later.....Prohibition was repealed and it was safe to go back to electric lighting.
    Ah, bathtub gin, those were the days.

More people drank during Prohibition then before or after it.

User Info Menu

We bring lighting to about 90% of the gigs. When we don't it's because the venue provides them. We have (2) Chauvet DJ 4Bar w/wireless foot pedals and DMX controller. (2) Chauvet DJ Intimidator Spots. An assortment of PAR 64's that are placed on stands, trusses, or on the floor depending on the venue. It's all programmed, although we don't always activate the programming. Sometimes I'll control everything via foot pedal.

We've never had any issues with overloading the venue's electrical capacity. Everything is LED and we run them through junction boxes.

The stuff you're considering getting is easy to use, lightweight. You'll be fine with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    We bring 6 to 12 DMX-512 18 LED RGB Stage Par Lights to every show that doesn't have stage lights. I have 2 with me at all gigs to uplight the kit.
    Nice!

hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    We bring lighting to about 90% of the gigs. When we don't it's because the venue provides them. We have (2) Chauvet DJ 4Bar w/wireless foot pedals and DMX controller. (2) Chauvet DJ Intimidator Spots. An assortment of PAR 64's that are placed on stands, trusses, or on the floor depending on the venue. It's all programmed, although we don't always activate the programming. Sometimes I'll control everything via foot pedal.

We've never had any issues with overloading the venue's electrical capacity. Everything is LED and we run them through junction boxes.

The stuff you're considering getting is easy to use, lightweight. You'll be fine with that.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

One time to be fancy, we ran a string of Christmas lights along the front of the stage and it wasn't even Christmas!

Never did the light thing. (except as provided by the venue) I always figured there was enough crap to lug around just to get a sound.

I realize of course that in some genres impressive lighting is required to make it real.

all the best...

User Info Menu

As many others have mentioned: We only bring in lights for nighttime gigs if the venue does not have lights. When we bring them, we have about 10 LED pars and two light stands. Sometimes I do the up light the kit thing too, it's cliche, but so easy and it looks good. We have a 575w ETC S4 Leko with a gobo if there's a cool place to aim it we will do that also to further get the branding out there, it cant hurt.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Wow,,, Very cool. A Leko...does the gobo have your band logo cut into it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    One time to be fancy, we ran a string of Christmas lights along the front of the stage and it wasn't even Christmas!

Never did the light thing. (except as provided by the venue) I always figured there was enough crap to lug around just to get a sound.

I realize of course that in some genres impressive lighting is required to make it real.

all the best...
    I have a cheap ($5) string of LED X-mas lights that run off of four AA batteries. I keep them in my hardware bag. Once in a while I would throw them in the kick drum to light up the front reso head. Since I swapped out to black reso heads on most of my gig kits, it's not really effective.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Sort of. Our band is The Blue Moon Band. The gobo is a moon with a blue gel. Here it is projected on the stage left proscenium.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    Sort of. Our band is The Blue Moon Band. The gobo is a moon with a blue gel. Here it is projected on the stage left proscenium.
    Wow! Now that's just too cool!! Thanks for sharing this idea. I can see how we can use this type of lighting too! Man..that kit looks so sweet. I love the black!!

User Info Menu

Yeah I sold that PDP Platinum kit. It was Black Mirra, which I really liked, but I got a chance at a Performance Series DW, so away it went. If you need a contact for getting gobos made custom I would recommend Inlight Gobos. They make all their gobos on glass for great quality and durability. I have had several made by them for other events and they have always turned out cool. As long as you do 1 color the price is reasonable. You get into full color and the cost is sky high, plus in my experience the color really kills the contrast and the image looses that "punch". It's better to aim a couple of really saturated colors at a wall or surface, and then hit it with a bright white gobo. Maximum impact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    Yeah I sold that PDP Platinum kit. It was Black Mirra, which I really liked, but I got a chance at a Performance Series DW, so away it went. If you need a contact for getting gobos made custom I would recommend Inlight Gobos. They make all their gobos on glass for great quality and durability. I have had several made by them for other events and they have always turned out cool. As long as you do 1 color the price is reasonable. You get into full color and the cost is sky high, plus in my experience the color really kills the contrast and the image looses that "punch". It's better to aim a couple of really saturated colors at a wall or surface, and then hit it with a bright white gobo. Maximum impact.
    Thanks for the tip on the gobo company and will do only one color!. I'll pass this on to my band mates and show them your band pic. Awesome stage presence...lighting makes a world of difference now that I see all of the pics you guys are posting!

User Info Menu

I like those gobos.

User Info Menu

It's much different now but here's how we old timers did it back in the day. We hauled around a fairly sizable light show as well as a massive P.A. System. Packed it all into a 24 foot box truck. We had a bunch of Par 64 cans , most clubs had metal piping above the stage where they could be mounted. For the gigs that had no piping we also had some trusses and two genie lifts. We also had a Spot light that was used in the bigger clubs that had the room back by the lighting and sound board area. We employed a full time light man and sound engineer. If anyone is cusious the kit is a Fibes Fiberglass shell kit 2- 24 x 14 kicks, 10,12,14 rack toms 16, 18 fl toms 5.5 x14 snare, the 6,8,10 concert are Gretsch maple shell, evans hydralic heads , All Zildjian cymbals.

Here's an old video clip from 1982 when i was a wee lad of 22 years of age. We are doing an original tune call Upside Down from Here. you can see the lights in the vid. Transferred from 1982 video tape so the sound quality isn't the greatest.

https://youtu.be/3MnSG2riDV8
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 04-03-2017 at 08:18 AM.