Thread: Good medium priced direct drive single pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Good medium priced direct drive single pedal?

So I am thinking of picking up a direct drive single pedal to try out, any suggestions on good medium priced ($200 and below) direct drive pedals? I am leaning towards a longboard style. I haven't found much selection at my local GC to try out so I figured I would tap the knowledge base here for input. I would definitely consider used high end as well (demon drive, axis, etc.) if they fall into that price range. Thanks!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good medium priced direct drive single pedal?

I had a Mapex double for a while . I did pick it up used tho . But the new ones are moderately priced and the foot board is i bit longer than the standard Yamaha , Pearl , Tama and DW . Might want to look into those ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I had a Mapex double for a while . I did pick it up used tho . But the new ones are moderately priced and the foot board is i bit longer than the standard Yamaha , Pearl , Tama and DW . Might want to look into those ....
    Thanks, was it the Falcon line?
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Thanks, was it the Falcon line?
    No it was the Raptor . The double Raptor's aren't that great because of the way the main pedal is set up . But the single pedal is very good .

User Info Menu

Looks like you're using a bass drum pedal that matches your hihat stand and by the looks of it could it be hardware from the mid '90s, maybe from the Premier line? The reason why I'm asking is what don't you like about it? Does the beater and pedal feel too heavy or maybe it's simply time to upgrade to direct drive with a longer footboard?

I have tried the Axis Longboard and the Pearl Demon 3000 series pedals while still using the Pearl P2000 Eliminators and the DW5002A double pedals to compare the direct drive verses chain drive cams and I found that I preferred the chain drive suited my playing style due to the weight and feel of the chain. I don't play music that requires fast bass drum beats or use triggers which some drummers who do, may prefer using the direct drive pedal. I felt that the cam in which the chain uses as a fulcrum point provided more swing in the beater as it hit the batter opposed to the up and down mechanical motion of the direct drive which left me wanting more power behind every pedal stroke.

With that being said, this Axis X Longboard retails for $219 for a single. It's light and fast and maybe it's one you should go try out at your local music store. My analogy to compare the direct drive verses chain drive when hitting the bass drum batter is like a fly-swatter (direct drive) verses a rolled up newspaper (chain-drive). Keep us updated because I'm very interested in your findings! Good luck on the hunt!

1.jpg

User Info Menu

If you're lucky you might find one of these in a pawn shop for around fifty or less .
    This one's mine and I use it daily on the practice kit . I normally use a DW double but sometimes I gig this one because I like it so much .

Speed King.jpg

User Info Menu

If you're lucky you might find one of these in a pawn shop for around fifty or less .
    This one's mine and I use it daily on the practice kit . I normally use a DW double but sometimes I gig this one because I like it so much .

Speed King.jpg
    That's a sweet pedal Rudy and it looks like it's in great shape! I read a DIY on how to teardown and rebuild the SpeedKing with new bearings.

User Info Menu

Yep, I vote for the old Speed King. You can find a good one that's not worn out for around $100. If you're handy, they are easy to rebuild.
    What Rich said is spot-on from my experience. I like my Demon Direct, and gig with it 99% of the time, but at times is does feel like it's "weak" compared to my Iron Cobra w/chain. On the flip side, my old Speed King is by FAR my favorite pedal. It doesn't really have that "weak" feel.

You may also check out Gibraltar. They make a direct drive that is very reasonable in price.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have an older Yamaha flying dragon direct drive and it's killer

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I knew I would find a lot of good info/opinions here. Late8, my current pedal is a Yamaha single chain and my main complaint is when trying to play anything with "fast" bass parts, playing heel down the pedal lacks power and playing heel up there is so much slack in the chain that it doesn't play every note that I am trying to play (if that makes sense). I have tried adjusting the footboard, changing the tension, etc. but can't find a setting that makes it feel "right" to me.

I will keep an eye out for any and all pedals you guys mentioned. Spaz do you know if the newer Yamaha Direct Drive (9500D I believe) is similar to the old Flying Dragon?

User Info Menu

If your current pedal is worn out, you may find that a new(er) chain may have what you're looking for. Maybe go to the nearest GC, drum shop, etc. and try out Iron Cobras, Speed Cobras, DW 5000.....you get the idea.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I knew I would find a lot of good info/opinions here. Late8, my current pedal is a Yamaha single chain and my main complaint is when trying to play anything with "fast" bass parts, playing heel down the pedal lacks power and playing heel up there is so much slack in the chain that it doesn't play every note that I am trying to play (if that makes sense). I have tried adjusting the footboard, changing the tension, etc. but can't find a setting that makes it feel "right" to me.
    Yes I had one of those single chain Yamy's ..it was a double . I know exactly what you mean as I felt the same about it . I think I gave it away to a student . I had the Flying Dragon double that I gave to my 16 year old niece . It is a good solid pedal , she LOVES it . I currently use the DW 9000 double .
    I'm a cheapskate admittedly , a proud one at that . So all my pedals I've acquired used from pawn shops or Craigslist . You might want to look into that and you might be able to get some of the top end pedals . And if you don't like that particular pedal you can put it back on the market and , depending on what you payed , make your money back and try something else . Just a thought .
    Happy hunting !

User Info Menu

I've seen new speed king pedals at my local shop some with chain drive also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I've seen new speed king pedals at my local shop some with chain drive also.
    Blasphemy!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

plenty of SC under 100 on local ads. i love mine, got it used.for 120. replaced the return spring and added a fresh cobra coil. it is no trick pedals, but those are great for 180bpm and over. in slower stuff they lack weight. the cobra is a great all rounder.
    tama SC/BB anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12-16-bd 22reference snare14x5cymbals HHX's/AAX'shardware tama

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Blasphemy!
    I know!!!!

User Info Menu

Ok..I see how an upgrade in a new pedal will help. In my opinion, I think working on building more muscle memory in your legs will help even more. Heal down or up or heel to toe techniques requires a lot of muscle training. My "go to" pedal is the DW9000 single pedal. I use the DW5002A doubles only when the music requires using a lot of double bass strokes which my current band's music doesn't require such a technique.

On a unrelated issue, I found that any time I use the 5002A doubles, my hihat needs to be moved several inches to the left and makes reaching for it very uncomfortable. I feel the same when I use a second bass drum. I guess I'm "old school". I didn't start using a double pedal or a double bass set up until I joined DrumChat back in 2009. The younger members who were into the "machine gun" type of double strokes on the bass drum was something very new to me and I finally figured out that it was the music or song that required such heavy use on the double strokes not necessarily the need to have a second pedal.

Wherever you go to "test drive" your next pedal, don't fall for this display set up and base you opinion about the pedal by merely using this as the final deal breaker. Banging the beater on a foam covered wooden plank does not even come close to having the pedal clamped to a real bass drum. If the sales person doesn't accommodate you by letting you actually sit down behind a kit to try a new or used pedal...WALK OUT!

Last edited by late8; 04-03-2017 at 09:28 AM.

User Info Menu

PDP now offers their Concept pedal in a direct drive. And it's inexpensive ($119). I have one loaded in "the cart" of my favorite website. Just waiting for pay day, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    PDP now offers their Concept pedal in a direct drive. And it's inexpensive ($119). I have one loaded in "the cart" of my favorite website. Just waiting for pay day, LOL.
    Yea... ! I forgot about that one . I've read some very good reviews on it . A "sleeper" pedal .

User Info Menu

Well I spent the last 2 days hitting up the local GC and other various music stores. Tried everything from single chain to direct drive and settled on a Tama Iron Cobra 600 series double chain drive. There were a couple that I may have liked a hair better (DW9000, etc.) but they were all at least over $100 more. Very happy with the purchase. Moved the old Yamaha to my youngest son's kit to replace his gammons pedal and we are good to go! Thanks again everyone for your input!
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 04-03-2017 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats! You can't go wrong with an IC.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Great ! Tama makes great pedals . I use to use their Flexi Flyer pedal , the strap drive one . Still have it at my brothers recording studio .
    Anyway ...great thread . Soon you'll be giving US advice .

User Info Menu

Great ! Tama makes great pedals . I use to use their Flexi Flyer pedal , the strap drive one . Still have it at my brothers recording studio .
    Anyway ...great thread . Soon you'll be giving US advice .
    No delusions on that one, still a noob but loving the journey. I visit this place daily just to read the latest threads and try to pick up a tip or 2. My son and I have both been on the kit with the new pedal and love it. The wife hopes the GAS is gone for a while, lol.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Tama pedal. Their roots run deep when DW and Tama both bought out Camco many years ago.