Thread: I unexpectedly found the missing 16x16 floor tom to my kit!

User Info Menu

Default I unexpectedly found the missing 16x16 floor tom to my kit!

When I bought my ludwig classic maple kit, I bought it as a 3 piece. 14x26, 12x14 and 16x18. I kept searching for a matching 16x16 floor tom to go with it, looking online, calling local drum shops ect... A couple weeks went by of not looking and I figured I would give it another go. I just googled what I was looking for and started looking at images. I found one that had the same badge that I needed and it happened to be for a really old ebay listing that ended, but said unsold.

So I sent the seller a question, asked if he just happened to still have it because it went unsold. He said no and I went on about my business. The next day I went into the music store where I bought the drums and was telling the guy that sold them to me I thought I had found a floor tom. He's like, that was you that sent me a message on ebay? So at that point, he told me that was the original 16x16 that came with my kit and he knew who had it. After a couple phone calls, I got it!

I can't say enough how much I love these huge drum sizes. They are all cannons.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I unexpectedly found the missing 16x16 floor tom to my kit!

What are the odds of that? Very lucky find! It must be nice having a true bonham kit. Beautiful! Some day I'll own one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

That's an awesome story! Awesome drums, too. I'm dedicated to getting one of my Ludwig kits completed for a big outdoor jam in mid-August. It will be 14x28, 10x14 and 14x16, all with the long "mach" lugs. I'd love to find a 16x18, but I can't even afford the bare shell for one.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    What are the odds of that? Very lucky find! It must be nice having a true bonham kit. Beautiful! Some day I'll own one.
    Thanks! I was very surprised finding the exact one. I wish I could say it's a true Bonham kit, but it's not, just an off the shelf kit built with his sizes. That being said, I have always been a big fan of gold sparkle so I am glad I found this kit instead of green sparkle, stainless or amber vistalite.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    That's an awesome story! Awesome drums, too. I'm dedicated to getting one of my Ludwig kits completed for a big outdoor jam in mid-August. It will be 14x28, 10x14 and 14x16, all with the long "mach" lugs. I'd love to find a 16x18, but I can't even afford the bare shell for one.
    Thanks! Your kit is going to be nice when you get it done, especially with that 28" kick! I definitely want to see pictures when you get it all put together!

User Info Menu

Very lucky find and great looking kit!

User Info Menu

That is a cool set of drums..........I also love the old gold sparkle kits...........did you buy those after 1998 ?
    (I think) The Bonham green sparkle kit would have been a 3-ply, like the Legacy shell ?
    Either way, I like the sound of the Ludwig Classic Maples; I can show you a few takes from Yes albums wherein Alan White has some great sounding (CM) toms.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Very lucky find and great looking kit!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    That is a cool set of drums..........I also love the old gold sparkle kits...........did you buy those after 1998 ?
    (I think) The Bonham green sparkle kit would have been a 3-ply, like the Legacy shell ?
    Either way, I like the sound of the Ludwig Classic Maples; I can show you a few takes from Yes albums wherein Alan White has some great sounding (CM) toms.
    Yes they are quite a few years newer than 1998. As far as I know and I could very easily be wrong, I was under the assumption that all the Bonham kits were 6 ply classic maple. Like I said though, I could be wrong. I bet if they did have a legacy 3 ply Bonham kit though it would be a absurd amount of money.

I have a 3 ply kit with clear interior shells, all same sizes except a 24x14 kick, I am in the middle of a re wrap. Now that I love this 14x26 so much, I will probably hunt down one of those in 3 ply to match. It's going to be turquoise sparkle wrap.

If you have some videos, throw them up here. I would live to hear them!

User Info Menu

great looking set. liked the story
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    Yes they are quite a few years newer than 1998. As far as I know and I could very easily be wrong, I was under the assumption that all the Bonham kits were 6 ply classic maple.
    If you have some videos, throw them up here. I would live to hear them!
    The reason I asked about 1998 is that was supposedly the introduction of the Ludwig Classic Maple; Bonham was gone in 1980.

One great example of White's classic maple sound:
    Go to youtube..................in the search box type in "can you imagine yes"

Turn it up................it is a short song from the album MAGNIFICATION...............recorded in very high quality hi-fi with a symphony.
    This song was written by Squire and he sings the lead...............White enters in about half way through and his drums sound completely awesome.
    Tell me if you like it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Great story !! I love it when it all comes together . Beautiful looking kit by the way .

User Info Menu

Congrats!

I know how you feel. I never thought I'd find a 16x16 floor to match my Downbeat kit identically, unless I bought a complete 1964 Super Classic kit. After 3 years of searching , it appeared and I jumped on it.

Last edited by Rotarded; 04-11-2017 at 09:51 PM.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

That's awesome. Congrats on the find.. I've been looking for a matching 14" floor tom for my Silverstars ever since I bought them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    Congrats!

I know how you feel. I never thought I'd find a 16x16 floor to match my Downbeat kit identically, unless I bought a complete 1964 Super Classic kit. After 3 years of searching , it appeared and I jumped on it.

That is a great looking kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    That's awesome. Congrats on the find.. I've been looking for a matching 14" floor tom for my Silverstars ever since I bought them.
    Don't give up on the search, you will eventually find one!

User Info Menu

I search every week for my Yamaha Maple Custom lol

and I had searched every day for my PDP till I finally found what I needed.

Nice work! Great Kit!

User Info Menu

It took me almost a year to find a 12x14" rack tom with the same factory wrap in Pearl's Flash Yellow. I dropped it down next to the 16x16 floor tom. I share the joy in finding rare or hard to find add ons.

User Info Menu

^worth the wait. Looks great

User Info Menu

That is just a bad azz kit right there love the color too.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^worth the wait. Looks great
    Thanks Spaz!

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    That is just a bad azz kit right there love the color too.
    Thanks CB700!

User Info Menu

Awesome story, congrats on the find! Great looking kit as well.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal