Thread: "Tell Me Something Good" , Rufus w/ Chaka Kahn

User Info Menu

Default "Tell Me Something Good" , Rufus w/ Chaka Kahn

I know this has probably been gone over many times , but I'd appreciate your help now.

Tell Me Something Good. A fine song. I now wish I'd learned it in 1974 when it came out. My brain was 23, and more flexible than now. Now I'm 65(sixty-six in 2 weeks), the group wants to do this, and I need assistance. I've listened to it numerous times, but If anyone has an accurate drumset TAB for this song, could you point me to your source? The site? Forward a copy to me via e-mail? I've found some sort of TABS, but they are not conducive to fast learning.

Please help me out if you can. I do not want to let my group mates, myself, and/or especially the song down.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: "Tell Me Something Good" , Rufus w/ Chaka Kahn

I'm learning 8 original songs with no drum tabs. I have headphones, mp3 player and a metronome all hooked together through a small mixer. The kit is not mic'd so I have to have the right balance in the headphones in order to hear all four elements. I wish there was an easier way to learn these songs but I'm not expected to play the 8 "note for note"; just as long as I keep the right feel of what the original drummer had in mind, it's acceptable to the guy who wrote the music. In my opinion, learning the arrangement of the song and where the dynamic changes are located within the song(s) is the key to learning quickly. I hope this helped.

User Info Menu

Thanks ! I agree with what you posted. I'd just ike to nail it, if possible, so as not to have to take any crap if its not note for note perfect. Sometimes I am expected to toe a tougher line than other players, and its fun to do so, I voted NOT to add this song, not for MY lack of familiarity with the part, but because its just not one I think would go over now. Not many retirees can move to the groove, and the youn people.....I foresee broken ankles, dancing into walls, and dizzy swoons into sweaty heaps on the dance floor. Cheap entertainment, but hopefully we wil get asked back to venues in which we have entertained others.

Thanks!!! And good luck with your musical endeavors !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trommel View Post
    Thanks ! I agree with what you posted. I'd just ike to nail it, if possible, so as not to have to take any crap if its not note for note perfect. Sometimes I am expected to toe a tougher line than other players, and its fun to do so, I voted NOT to add this song, not for MY lack of familiarity with the part, but because its just not one I think would go over now. Not many retirees can move to the groove, and the youn people.....I foresee broken ankles, dancing into walls, and dizzy swoons into sweaty heaps on the dance floor. Cheap entertainment, but hopefully we wil get asked back to venues in which we have entertained others.

Thanks!!! And good luck with your musical endeavors !!!
    Hahaha! "Sweaty heaps on the floor"! Love that one! Good luck and I know you'll nail it!

User Info Menu

Honestly, with that song, I doubt anyone would ever know if you did or didn't cover it note-for-note. Its a 100% "feel" song. Even if you play it note-for-note, if it doesn't have that feel, it won't come off. That goes even more so for the guitar, keyboard and vocals than the drums. After watching a video of it, the drum part appears (to me) to be pretty simple technically. The hard part for the whole band will probably be not over-playing it but still getting the proper feel. I think the rest of your band will be more challenged then you will!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Haha! That's NOT the video I watched! It was this one

Just a SLIGHT difference in the song, LOL

To me, that shows that you can play it like you feel it and are capable of. In both cases, I think the drummer (and the whole band) was just jamming. (Not sure if it was the same drummer?) Probably never plays it exactly the same way twice. In my opinion, if you're gonna play with feeling and give the "magic" of live music a chance to happen, you gotta have some freedom.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 04-07-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Haha! That's NOT the video I watched! It was this one

Just a SLIGHT difference in the song, LOL

To me, that shows that you can play it like you feel it and are capable of. In both cases, I think the drummer (and the whole band) was just jamming. (Not sure if it was the same drummer?) Probably never plays it exactly the same way twice. In my opinion, if you're gonna play with feeling and give the "magic" of live music a chance to happen, you gotta have some freedom.
    I thought the "Midnight Special" version was up tempo compared to the one you posted. What a difference in "feel" between both. I like the faster version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I thought the "Midnight Special" version was up tempo compared to the one you posted. What a difference in "feel" between both. I like the faster version.
    I totally agree. Not only faster tempo but a lot more going on with all the instruments. I can see where a tab would come in handy for the second version, LOL. All I can say is "good luck" to whoever is gonna sing it. Glad it's not me. I don't look that great in tight bell-bottoms and a sequined tank top anyway.

On a side note, we have one of those talk-box hose things to play guitar through. I'm trying to get our fiddle player to try it out on some funky Bluegrass stuff, but no luck so far. It's just to cool not to try, LOL
    -Brian