Thread: Regular vs Remote Hi-Hat Stands

User Info Menu

Default Regular vs Remote Hi-Hat Stands

I was in Guitar Center checking out some equipment and played a set equipped completely with DW9000 hardware. On the left side there was a three leg hat stand with Sabian AA's. Next to that pedal sat another one with a remote cable going to the right side of the set and connected to some Wuhan 12" splash hats.
    For some reason I liked the feel behind the hydraulic cable more than the regular pedal and was inquiring the durability behind these things. I guess the reason I liked it more was because it had more "force" behind the step and you could really control it. I've heard alot of drummers say, however, that they're experience with these things aren't always so hot, so I figured I'd ask you guys before I did anything dumb

Peace
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default remote hi hats

I actually use a DW5000 remote hihat on the left side to put it in "11o'clock postion by my snare and dw closed hats on right side.....love it....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    I actually use a DW5000 remote hihat on the left side to put it in "11o'clock postion by my snare and dw closed hats on right side.....love it....
    Do you have a picture of your setup? I'd like to check it out. Blessings........

User Info Menu

Are they really hydraulic or are they cable? I haven't even looked at a 9000 remote hat. If you like the feel better, then purchase one and attach it to a cymbal stand. I have seen it done often and it really works well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    For some reason I liked the feel behind the hydraulic cable more than the regular pedal and was inquiring the durability behind these things. I guess the reason I liked it more was because it had more "force" behind the step and you could really control it. I've heard alot of drummers say, however, that they're experience with these things aren't always so hot, so I figured I'd ask you guys before I did anything dumb
    It's all in how you like the action. I like loose pedals... both bass drum pedals and hi hat pedals, so the remotes usually feel a bit slow for me.

User Info Menu

I have played with a DW 5000 remote cable hi hat set up for at least 15 years. It is used as my main hi-hat stand.
    This set up allows me to put the pedal where it is most comfortable for me. On my double bass kit, I actually put the hi hat pedal to the right, or the inside of my left bass drum pedal.
    On my single bass kits, I use one as well... because I like my main hi hat cymbals to be in a little bit different spot than my pedal.

However...

I have broken my share of cables.
    I would never suggest that the DW 5000 are not well made... they are made very well..
    But, Im one of the guys that literally bounces my left foot up and down about 8 inches, to the quarter notes of the song Im playing. This action beats the poop out of any cable.

Gibraltar now has a hi hat that lets me position my cymbals in a different spot than my foot pedal, by as much as 8 inches. It looks like it might work out for me and eliminate the need for me always have a cable hi hat.

As for feel...
    Maybe Im not as picky as some... but I dont feel enough of a difference between standard type hi-hat stands, and cable stands, to really have a preference.

Its hard to tell in this pic... but my hi-hat pedal, and the vertical post are off-set from one another by about 6 inches.

Matt

Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies...

I guess, Vegas, that my experience with PDP hardware and their lowest grade hi hat pedal has made my playing with DW's and whatnot seem like a dream come true.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

DW IMHO is arguably some of the best hardware on the market hand down!

User Info Menu

they are cool. i want the 9000 remote pretty bad. as vd69 said...you will break cables but they are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

User Info Menu

Cool

Gibraltar Hi Hat Looks Interesting Worth A Look,,,,i Alwaysuggest Spares Of Everything,,,,cos Ya Never Know.....my Dw5000 Has 6yrson It And Still Works Great......faster Smoother Pedals Might Lead Me Look At Axis....now That They Make Hats( But Not Remote)
    I Always Feel It Important The Pedals Be Da Same For Consistency...i Used To Use "ghost" Pedals(had 9 At One Time) Great Speed Lacked Power... But Coulnt "slam On Da One" Thnk God For Good Mics!!!!

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Phrogge, I noticed you are from Phoenix. where about in the valley do you reside. I grew up there so post approx streets and ill most likely know where you are talking about?

User Info Menu

BTD....send me an email "phroggerz@yahoo.com"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

so far west PHOENIX,I"ve called it EAST LA!!!!!

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I got ya, Out by Phoenix international racreway, or as far as Palo verde power plant?