Thread: Recording

User Info Menu

Default Recording

Hi, I have an electric drum set and I've been having troubles with recording. I just wanna know if there are any electric drumset users on this thing that record their drumming. I just wanna know how you guys do it. Don't ask me how I do it, just tell me how YOU do it lol. Thank you.

User Info Menu

What electric set are you playing?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'm not exactly sure what the exact name for it is but here's the link to what it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/OSP-DD502-DIGITA...QQcmdZViewItem

User Info Menu

get some way of recording all the seperate pads into a computer. Then use a drum brain inside your computer to record :> Thats how im gonna do it. Easier to change the samples.

Or just take stereo outs into your computer...... Make sure you process your sound with the brain as much as you can because mixing is hard....

Or on the TD's the outputs seperate cymbals from toms and snares and bass kick. which are your basic groups for mixing which will be the other way i record eventually.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I don't have much experience with electric sets outside the Roland models, but I'm sure their design and function can't be much different...
    You should be able to record from the console or brain of the set. Normally it will let you record them and play them back, but if you got some kind of output connection to your computer or a small amp and mic, you could record beats and double track them.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    get some way of recording all the seperate pads into a computer. Then use a drum brain inside your computer to record :> Thats how im gonna do it. Easier to change the samples.

Or just take stereo outs into your computer...... Make sure you process your sound with the brain as much as you can because mixing is hard....

Or on the TD's the outputs seperate cymbals from toms and snares and bass kick. which are your basic groups for mixing which will be the other way i record eventually.

I appreciate your help Stevo, but I just wanna know how you do this..the seperating the different pads onto different tracks. If you mean recording each pad seperately (like listening to the song and only playing the snare part, then restart and only play the high tom and so on) then I'm not interested. But if there's a way to record every pad seperately but not have to play every pad individually over and over, then please tell me. Thanks a lot . Just go into a good amount of detail on how you do it. Equiptment, computer programs...EVERYTHING! PLEASE! Thanks a ton lol. Take care.

User Info Menu

You really shouldn't have to "mix" an electronic drum kit....even if you do, you can do it on the brain before you record. My buddy used my lil old TD6's on his latest rock recordings and the drums sound pretty amazing. The only "touch-ups" he did were adding a few sample cymbal sounds. All the drums were left alone. All you use is one track for the line in. I'll share this recording as soon as he's done with it. Blessings....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    You really shouldn't have to "mix" an electronic drum kit....even if you do, you can do it on the brain before you record. My buddy used my lil old TD6's on his latest rock recordings and the drums sound pretty amazing. The only "touch-ups" he did were adding a few sample cymbal sounds. All the drums were left alone. All you use is one track for the line in. I'll share this recording as soon as he's done with it. Blessings....
    My electric kit doesn't let me record to the brain unfortunately. I have to hook it up to a mixer that hooks to the computer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weslapootayn View Post
    My electric kit doesn't let me record to the brain unfortunately. I have to hook it up to a mixer that hooks to the computer.
    No, sorry if you got confused here. I didn't mean record directly onto the drum brain. I said mix the levels on the brain before you record, if the brain allows it. Out of curiosity, what brain do you have for your kit? Blessings.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weslapootayn View Post
    your brain should have a mode that allows you to mix the independent volumes of each tom and the kick, snare, each cymbal etc

then you use the output from the brain to record to a computer program

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    your brain should have a mode that allows you to mix the independent volumes of each tom and the kick, snare, each cymbal etc

then you use the output from the brain to record to a computer program
    It seems like we're getting away from my original question. I know how to record drums, they just don't come out that great. I want to know what you guys do. THAT'S ALL. Don't ask me how I do it, for the love of god..it's not going anywhere. I just wanna know what programs you use. That's it. Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

One thing here....ask specific and you get specific. When you say "they just don't come out great", what does that mean? Are you talking levels, bad tones, clipping, etc? I figured you had the DAW figured out since you already know how to record drums. Are you having interface issues with your plug ins, or is it something else? There's no reason to get mad here. I personally want to help you but I just need specified information to do so. BTW, my TD6's were recorded by a Boss 1680. Blessings........

User Info Menu

You wrote....I have an electric drum set and I've been having troubles with recording.

What's the major problems you're having? Blessings....