Thread: PDP Concept Direct Drive Pedal Review

User Info Menu

Default PDP Concept Direct Drive Pedal Review

I couldn't resist. They only sell for $119 and they had a 15% holiday sale.

It arrived yesterday, so all I've had time to do is inspect it and mess with it for about 20 minutes. First impression; this thing is VERY impressive. Lightweight, solid (DW build quality), simple (only 2 adjustments) and as close to the feel of my old Speed King as I've found. It's like DW designed it with the optimum geometry and just built it that way. There is ZERO play or side-to-side slop in the footboard. It's as smooth as my Pearl Demon Drive. We'll see what I think after I play it for a 4hr gig.
    IMG_0877.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Concept Direct Drive Pedal Review

Thanks. Been wondering about these.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I couldn't resist. They only sell for $119 and they had a 15% holiday sale.

It arrived yesterday, so all I've had time to do is inspect it and mess with it for about 20 minutes. First impression; this thing is VERY impressive. Lightweight, solid (DW build quality), simple (only 2 adjustments) and as close to the feel of my old Speed King as I've found. It's like DW designed it with the optimum geometry and just built it that way. There is ZERO play or side-to-side slop in the footboard. It's as smooth as my Pearl Demon Drive. We'll see what I think after I play it for a 4hr gig.
    IMG_0877.jpg
    Yes please do a review after you've played it ! Very interested in getting one for my niece .

User Info Menu

Wanted to get into more detail, but it wouldn't be a fair assessment until I put it in action. Things always seem "great" at first. I WILL say this; I was worried because the on-line pics make it look kinda cheap and chintzy. In person, it's a darn solid piece of hardware. I'm definitely not a high intensity, demanding player, so even my post-gig assessment should be taken in context.
    I really like my Pearl Demon Drive, but I've yet to get the "SK feel" I desire from it. This PDP was much closer right out of the box. There's also some peace in knowing that there's only 2 possible areas of adjustment that can be made. I don't have to worry about all the "what if" settings like on the Pearl Demon. Interesting enough, I watched a video of a DW design engineer talking about it. He said they took their "favorite setting" from the MDD and basically built the Concept pedal based on that geometry. We'll see if it it lacks the power that many direct drive pedals do.

IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Update-
    I got to play the new pedal for about 4hrs today at band practice. It's very nice. Great feel and power. My only criticism after extended play time; the spring could be a little stronger for my taste. I have it adjusted about as strong as I can get it, and it's still just a touch on the light side. It would probably be OK for playing heel down, but I play heel up. I like enough spring pressure that the beater doesn't touch the head when I rest my foot on the board. I had to move my foot back on the board more than normal to reduce my leverage. I THINK I can buy a stiffer replacement spring (?).

As a side note; I think it's the compression spring design that gives the old Speed Kings their feel.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Thanks for the update ! I know DW makes a "heavy duty" spring ...which I have..and it will give you what you want . I got the spring to replace the failing spring on the single 5000 that broke durring a gig . But it was a bit too stiff for my tastes so I went back to the standard spring .
    I just might get one for my niece . She's on that search for the perfect pedal for her . We've all been on that search ... lol .

User Info Menu

It really is a very smooth and responsive pedal. The only thing that may create an issue for your niece would be the extended length board. I wear a size 11 shoe, and the PDP board feels noticeably longer than standard...even compared to my Pearl Demon in "long board" configuration. It felt strange at first. I have an actual gig next Saturday, so we'll see how it does with a new spring. For $119 (or less on sale), it's pretty impressive.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

It really is a very smooth and responsive pedal. The only thing that may create an issue for your niece would be the extended length board. I wear a size 11 shoe, and the PDP board feels noticeably longer than standard...even compared to my Pearl Demon in "long board" configuration. It felt strange at first. I have an actual gig next Saturday, so we'll see how it does with a new spring. For $119 (or less on sale), it's pretty impressive.
    That's nice to hear because I've been looking for some decent longboards that don't break the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Funny I was just about to ask on the floorboard length ! She has the Yamaha Flying Dragons right now . I had , for a short time , a Mapex Raptor pedal and the boards were just a little longer than both the DW's and the Yamaha's . And she really liked the feel ! So this might just be the pedal for her . Going up to Phoenix tomorrow to see her .... maybe we'll go shopping for one .
    Thanks !

User Info Menu

I've heard great things about these pedals.
    Thanks for the information!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I got one coming any day now. I'll let you guys know!

User Info Menu

I have the PDP chain drive pedal. I thought is was a pretty good pedal. They are solidly built and, being I play heel down, I found it to be easy to work with.

User Info Menu

BE CAREFUL WITH THESE I played these pedals on my home kit (not currently gigged) and I broke main side drive bar connecting piece. Not the blue connecting bar but the screw-on piece that connects the blue bar to the footboard.

Now I'm probably a very heavy hitter. I don't tend to damage heads to any significant extent but I blew out 4 DW footboard hinges and ended up switching to the Concept chain drive to escape that hinge design.

It seems to me that the connecting piece is too long and probably gets significant bending force near the footboard. That's where mine broke. It is a cheaply-made casting, probably of zinc.

Just be careful. You'd be REALLY sunk if that piece were to break while playing live.

User Info Menu

Huh, I always assumed it was a chain drive I guess not
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

geez Italian what are you doing?! Gorilla stomping those pedals!!!???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Yeah Spaz, I have one and it's my No.1 single pedal now! Of course I did some modifications on it like changed the upper spring rocker bearing ( stock one is plastic,good, but I have an issue w/ plastic)
    with a 9000 DW pedal series bearing,much better and put a Tama speed cobra spring on it. The Tama spring much more heavier duty, thicker gauge. I also colored in the pedal logo circle and 'by DW' in black and 'pdp' and 'Concept' in purple. Also put a Trick beater on it. The pedal now is FAST,SILENT and DEADLY!!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 04-24-2018 at 02:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd like to see what you did with the bearings.

I haven't used mine since the second gig. The spring was just too light. I bought the heavier duty DW spring, but haven't tried it yet.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

DSC01519.jpgDSC01517.jpgDSC01583.jpg You can see the DW 9000 series upper spring bearing w/the spring directly attached.(refer to my previous post for more info)
    Last edited by drummerMD; 04-24-2018 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I’ll havd to look into that bearing swap. I bought a new DW heavy spring, but it won’t hook up directly in place of the original spring without some modification. When I realized that, I just stuck it on the shelf and went back to using my Pearl Demon.
    I REALLY wish Ludwig would make a modern, pro quality version of the Speed King....Compression spring design, same exact linkage geometry, but put it on a solid base with needle bearing hinge, ball bearings on the link ends....and make it all out of high strength alloy.
    I’d pay the price.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Thanks! I’ll havd to look into that bearing swap. I bought a new DW heavy spring, but it won’t hook up directly in place of the original spring without some modification. When I realized that, I just stuck it on the shelf and went back to using my Pearl Demon.
    I REALLY wish Ludwig would make a modern, pro quality version of the Speed King....Compression spring design, same exact linkage geometry, but put it on a solid base with needle bearing hinge, ball bearings on the link ends....and make it all out of high strength alloy.
    I’d pay the price.
    You know, that would be a great idea! That would help them a lot! I just wish they would make a stupid Black P86 snare throw! all they have is chrome and Brass or Bronze or whatever! I want one for my Black Magic!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    DSC01519.jpgDSC01517.jpgDSC01583.jpg You can see the DW 9000 series upper spring bearing w/the spring directly attached.(refer to my previous post for more info)
    That is killer! Great work and great information on your changes.
    I'd love to test it out!

User Info Menu

I discovered this pedal very recently - and fell in love. I now own 2 of them. Best pedal I have used in a long time. Feels like an ultimate version of a Speed King to me. Great pedal, great price.