Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Hey, their not bad, their good cymbals, but they just dont give a good representation as the best paiste sound, but the alphas are amazing in my book, professional cymbals at great prices, and a pretty good sound =) but the alphas dont touch the surface to paiste sounds, start getting up into the reflector ranges, where its 450 for a cymbal, those are amazing sounds
    The alphas i tried were clangy and had high-pitched ring.

User Info Menu

Man, how do you crack a high hat cymbal? I mean you really have to work at hitting one to crack it. What was he using for sticks base ball bats? I have 14" Zildjian quick beats and I have hit them pretty hard and I know I haven't begun to hit them hard enough to crack them. I am not a really hard hitter any how, but I can't imagine anyone finding it necessary to hit them so hard that you could crack one. It sounds like the person they were purchased from had a technique issue. The crack itself though probably won't make to much of an issue sound wise as long as it doesn't spread.

User Info Menu

That's what I'm worried about... If these cracked that easily, could there possibly be a defect?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Man, how do you crack a high hat cymbal? I mean you really have to work at hitting one to crack it. What was he using for sticks base ball bats? I have 14" Zildjian quick beats and I have hit them pretty hard and I know I haven't begun to hit them hard enough to crack them. I am not a really hard hitter any how, but I can't imagine anyone finding it necessary to hit them so hard that you could crack one. It sounds like the person they were purchased from had a technique issue. The crack itself though probably won't make to much of an issue sound wise as long as it doesn't spread.
    Ive broken many, many cymbals. Hi-hats included. Even the heaviest.
    Playing extremly loud rock music, with extremely loud guitar players makes breaking stuff easy!
    I use 5a sticks as well... and always have.

Im pretty sure its not a technique issue for me... Im just a hard hitting fool!

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

I would go with the Paragons if you really don't like them, Guitar Center should give you $100 in trade on the Pastie hats laterwhen you can afford them. They normally give you 40% of what they will sell them for. I believe Dave Weckle plays Paragon cymbals at least from what I remember of the Sabian literature I have seen) so they can't be a bad cymbal. Maybe not the exact sound you're going for but the resale value should be good, I don't think you'll have any problem getting your money back as long as you get and keep them in good condition.
    Last edited by Church Drummer; 12-04-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post
    Ive broken many, many cymbals. Hi-hats included. Even the heaviest.
    Playing extremly loud rock music, with extremely loud guitar players makes breaking stuff easy!
    I use 5a sticks as well... and always have.

Im pretty sure its not a technique issue for me... Im just a hard hitting fool!

Matt
    I would agree cymbals are breakable.. But High hat cymbals are generally pretty thick and hardy. that is why the sound more like a ride cymbal when played individually than a crash cymbal. You also have the bottom cymbal to help offset the strike too. Just seems crazy to hit them hard enough to break them that's all! Can't ever see the need or reason to.

User Info Menu

has anyone considered that the cracked hat was due to poor transportation and handling? I could see a roadie, or even the drummer dropping the hat, and it cracking... doesn't have to be insanely hard play. I'd still go with the paragons though, again; if it's good enough for neil, it's good enough for me.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I would go with the Paragons if you really don't like them, Guitar Center should give you $100 in trade on the Pastie hats laterwhen you can afford them. They normally give you 40% of what they will sell them for. I believe Dave Weckle plays Paragon cymbals at least from what I remember of the Sabian literature I have seen) so they can't be a bad cymbal. Maybe not the exact sound you're going for but the resale value should be good, I don't think you'll have any problem getting your money back as long as you get and keep them in good condition.
    Do you think Guitar Center would give me $100 resale on a cracked hi-hat? From what I know, that's all that's wrong with them... The guy said he hasn't owned them that long, but how do you just crack a hi-hat after a short time like that?

Bactodrum... I agree, hi-hats probably don't need to be played that hard when they have a decent dynamic range. Paiste makes hats with many different volumes like Traditionals, which are to be played quietly, and Rudes, which are to absorb every bit of your rage lol. That's what attracted me to the Reflector line at first was how many different sounds you could get... I want the entire set of them
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    how do you just crack a hi-hat after a short time like that?

Did you fail to read my post? I think I addressed this pretty well.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

wait, the paragons are cracked? Meh, i woudlnt screw around in cracked cymbals, but thats jsut me,

User Info Menu

eh i would say its a no go man
    im always sketchy about cymbals that have cracked
    that means they were beat on
    and thats not good
    who knows when they will crack next

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    has anyone considered that the cracked hat was due to poor transportation and handling? I could see a roadie, or even the drummer dropping the hat, and it cracking... doesn't have to be insanely hard play. I'd still go with the paragons though, again; if it's good enough for neil, it's good enough for me.
    You know that makes a whole lot more sense to me than hitting one hard enough to crack it...the thought hadn't yet occured to me that they may have been dropped. It would seem though that you could expect a flat spot or crush spot rather than a line crack had they been dropped but who's to say! anything is possiable I guess. Either way they have been abused

User Info Menu

what the heck.. the prevoius owner musta bashed the crap outa those hats, its hard to beleived there cracked already. well not to dampen your hopes but my stock cymbal (or should i say garbadge can lid) cracked and i drilled like 3 holes and none of the cracks stopped, problly cuase me hole was so small though. but the cymbal has lost about 50% if its volume, and souunds like someones hand is lighty chocking the cymbal at all times. mind you the crack was about 4 inchs long and i had to cut away alot of the cymbal, so thats why I lost the sound. i dont really know were im goin here with this. im just a bit suspicous bout that pargon hat.