Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

User Info Menu

Default Help!!

I've asked a whole bunch of people this and explained the situation, but have yet to get a straight answer...
    Which should I get!?
    Sabian Paragon 14" Hi Hats or Paiste Reflector 14" Hi Hats?

Here's the deal, I've been saving up for the Reflectors for a long time and asking for gift cards to Guitar Center for $20 each so that I can afford them and work to pay back all the money. These things would cost me $350 even.
    However, just the other night, my father who barely recognizes me as a human told me about a buddy of his giving away (quoted from his words) "Somethin with a 'P' I think, but I'm no expert." ...
    Turns out they were Paragons, and the dude's giving them away for $100. I know they're alright, but I've only tried them out twice and thought they were questionable, however, the Paiste's are never compared. I'm just worried that if I get these, I'll lose my loyalty to Paiste and feel bad lol.
    Help me out.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

You certainly have a tough choice on your hands. I kind of wonder how you feel about your relationship with your dad. If you want it to be better, you might bite the bullet and get the Paragons just because he turned you on to them. It would make him feel good for helping you, and you just might end up with something even more important than hi-hat cymbals.

I don't pretend to know your situation at home, but I do know that our relationships in here tell me just how important relationships are to us all. I respect you enough to want the best for you 32HB!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My situation is nothing rough, Pastor... Divorced parents, Dad who doesn't push the realationship past child support, that's all. I don't care really, I'm still alive and drumming, so it's all good.
    He picked me up today on schedule and we talked a good bit about the Paragons, but he's so flimsy on the subject of drums that it was nothing special lol. We talked the most after a black cat had run out in to the street in front of us and explored the bottom of the tire... It ran off, but it did go under first, so it probably died later.

Anyone have any advice for these hi hats? If I end up getting them it will be next week...

User Info Menu

In your situation I'd take the Paragons. They not only sound as good as the reflectors (I haven't heard the reflectors so I'm guessing that they are the same quality when you take the money out of it.) but you'll probably strengthen your relationship with your dad and really wouldn't that make things better even if you got hi-hat cymbals don't give you the exact sound you like.

User Info Menu

If you'll excuse me for sounding too harsh, I think brand loyalty is kindof silly. If a company other than paisty has a sound that you're looking for (at 1/3 the price) then go for it. Why pay three times more for the same quality. I'm a pearl man, but I bought a 7 piece Tama, because it was around 1/3 the price of what it's worth. Take the deal, I mean if it's good enough for Peart, then it should be good enough for you!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

The price you are getting on the PAISTEs is too high... Seriously... Call "DJ" over at MusicGearAlley (www.musicgearalleyonline.com) and he will beat that price.

As for brand loyalty...

Everyone knows I love PAISTE. I do play other cymbals at practice though.
    I dont use my vast PAISTE collection for rehesal. Live and recording only.

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a brand.
    I will always chose Paiste over anyone elses products.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a brand. I will always chose Paiste over anyone elses products.
    Even if another brand sounds better? I understand being loyal, if you were an endorser... but just for the sake of being loyal? I still think it's silly.

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your replies, it's reallly helping me along. I think what I'm going to end up doing is accepting the Paragons and saving up for Reflectors later on.
    The thing is though... The Reflectors and Paragons don't really have a bit of the same quality, which is what I tried to mention. I would buy the Paistes without even hearing them live because I know how good they are... The Sabians I have heard live before, and have had some comparable thoughts about.
    It's all good though, I'm actually looking forward to adding these in my collection, it's not like they're low class cymbals, they're very good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Even if another brand sounds better? I understand being loyal, if you were an endorser... but just for the sake of being loyal? I still think it's silly.
    Sound better than Paiste? Like what? LOL.

I am loyal because they sound better, look better and are perfect to my ears.
    If Sabian wanted to give me free cymbals, I would play them... but I would still have a vast collection of Paistes.

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

That's what I'm talkin about, Vegas.

User Info Menu

It may be pertinent that I've never played a paiste, so perhaps there's just something there that I'm not seeing.

User Info Menu

Id take the Paragons. They cant be 250 dollars worse than reflectors.

User Info Menu

*points at vinny* yeah! what he said!

User Info Menu

As id take the paragons to, as long as their in great shape, you saved yourself 250 dollars if you do, thats enough for another cymbal, or some heads or something

User Info Menu

i must admit
    i find the brand loyalty thing a bit silly
    but i currently play all sabians

with the exception of a paiste thin crash (alpha)
    and the metal x splash

now i may be shunned
    but i dont really care for how they sound much
    theres just something i dont like about them

look guys lets not get hostile
    but i dont think you should deny a possibly great set of hi-hats just because they arent paistes

User Info Menu

well the pargons should be in good shape.. there not THAT old of sereis.

User Info Menu

KJbakke2, I have no problem with anyone playing, buying, supporting or recomending a brand other than Paiste. To each their own...
    However, Im hoping that your Alpha is not the only Paiste you have played... The alpha series is hardly a good representation of the Paiste sound. :-)

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

The alpha series is hardly a good representation of the Paiste sound. :-)
    So true! Paiste make some great cybals but the Alphas are HORIBLE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    So true! Paiste make some great cybals but the Alphas are HORIBLE.
    Hey, their not bad, their good cymbals, but they just dont give a good representation as the best paiste sound, but the alphas are amazing in my book, professional cymbals at great prices, and a pretty good sound =) but the alphas dont touch the surface to paiste sounds, start getting up into the reflector ranges, where its 450 for a cymbal, those are amazing sounds

User Info Menu

what would be a good repsentation of a good pastie sounding cymbal?

User Info Menu

2002 up are the best Paiste cymbals... And that leaves a good bit. No brand has that consistent tremendous quality in a multitude of cymbal families and still has the capability to make them each unique IMO.

User Info Menu

I have played alot of different Paiste, Sabian, and Zildjians over my life on my kit, backline kits and my friends kits. They all make incrediable cymbals. You can't go wrong owning any of these companies products. I am fairly partial to Zildjian's myself, but I have heard terrific cymbals in all of the companies referenced. I hear that UFIP has some nice stuff, as well as Istambul. My only experience with UFIP has been with a 10 1/2"splash. I haven't had occasion to play anything else yet but welcome the chance. I guess what I am trying to say is try not to be close minded by only thinking that you will be happy with the paisties. You may find a sound that you will really like with the parogons
    Last edited by backtodrum; 12-04-2007 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

KJbakke2, I have no problem with anyone playing, buying, supporting or recomending a brand other than Paiste. To each their own...
    However, Im hoping that your Alpha is not the only Paiste you have played... The alpha series is hardly a good representation of the Paiste sound. :-)

Matt

oh no dont get me wrong
    im not bashing paiste at all
    i like alot of their stuff
    i was jsut stating that particular crash sucked
    hahaha

i like paiste

too pricey for me

and i really like to lay into my cymbals

thats why i like sabian
    they soudn great and their warranty policy is second to none

User Info Menu

yea, thats the only problem i find iwth paiste, their insanly expensive

User Info Menu

Buuuuuuuut, with the right amunt of searching and connections, you can get great prices. Paiste comes with warranties as well if you purchase a cymbal over $300.

Ok, so turns out these Paragons have a bit of a catch... There was a small crack in the top hat, but appearently the guy caught it in time before it turned into anything and cut the piece out. Not too sure about cutting into a top hat, but I've heard stories of where people drill holes in the bottom to make them sound like they have a soundwave. Could the piece cut out enhance the sound at all? And what are my chances of having this little crack turn into a huge problem like with my Wuhan splash...

Thanks