Thread: Why 2 floor toms

User Info Menu

Default Why 2 floor toms

Hi guys
    I always wondered why so many drummers use 2 floor toms. What is the main reason for this?
    Fyi, i just started playing the drums after 25 years( yes, 25 years). Lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why 2 floor toms

I think it all a preference. I have seen drummers (Chris Layton is one of them) who will use two floor toms, but have one on each side of the kit, and they are able to do some cool things with them that way.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I like one up, but don't like a 4 piece. Not enough drums. The next best thing, 1 up 2 down
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    Hi guys
    I always wondered why so many drummers use 2 floor toms. What is the main reason for this?
    The main reason for me.....................
    I want my ride cymbal in the conventional position; 1-up, 2-down is the perfect configuration to accommodate this.
    I have played many different set-ups over the last 50 years and I have settled on this 1-up, 2-down set-up and it feels very good.
    My second choice would be 1-up, 1-down because I would still have my ride cymbal where I want it..................and that is important.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

It's often just a trend or a fad. Sort of like the 4 pc drum setups now. You can point back to them through the years, like when someone started playing the extra snare drum on the left side, then everyone started doing it. There are also the remote hats, the sandwiched pangs, the double pedals, the kickports, etc.

User Info Menu

*raises hand*

Have the double pedals and kickport. lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    *raises hand*

Have the double pedals and kickport. lol
    And a second snare on the left.

User Info Menu

I guess the reason that I play a kit with a second floor tom is for the same reason that I have more than just a couple of cymbals on the kit - I love the additional sound palette. It also doesn't feel strange to me because I've been playing a six piece kit from the beginning (I started playing playing at 52). I also have a 4 piece kit for when I play in a smaller spaces, and I use a smaller number of cymbals when I play it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have two floor toms on my right... two extra snares on my left... remote hi-hat and kickports...
    I'm one of the cool kids in my class...

I enjoy 1 up and 2 down because it's very comfortable and I also agree I like where my ride cymbal sits.

User Info Menu

It's all a preference thing and whilst there will always be fads, certain trends start for a reason; they just work!

For me, when setting up a new kit, or modifying my current setup, I start with the central, fundamental elements: snare, kick and hi-hat. Once these are set and comfortable, I then add the ride. I like this in front of me in the two o'clock position (I'm right handed). Only then do I begin to add toms and other cymbals. Due to my preference for a two o'clock ride position, this precludes a 1 up tom setup as having two rack toms would impede the either the ride or the hihat position. As I like to have options, I then have two floor toms to my right and will go down to one when there is no need for me to have a third tom or space is very tight.

So, I don't start with the idea of having a certain tom configuration. Rather, my setup is driven by the position of the four key elements of any kit that I play; snare, kick, hihat and ride. Anything else must fit around these as they are what I will play maybe 80% of the time so I insist on ensuring these are comfortable and have very little tolerance for any compromise of their position. Conversely, I will compromise, to an extent, the position of a crash over the position of the hihat and the position of a tom over the ride, etc.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

My approach is a little different. I look at the music we're going to be playing and determine what sounds I might need. Then I work these into the configuration. While the core setup doesn't change much, I like to play a variety of genres and one less tom or one more cymbal is always workable and everything is always pretty close to where I expect it to be. The setup certainly needs to be comfortable but when the song and my ears need a 10 and the closest I have is a 12 - I hate that!
    Last edited by G-man; 04-24-2017 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    (I started playing playing at 52).
    I still can't believe that! You're amazing!!!

User Info Menu

Like many others have said I believe it's preference. I was watching a video on Lars and he was talking about his early years having 2 floor toms. Fast forward to present setup according to that video he plays only one floor tom. He said the reason why is that with his prior set he really never used it . At one point he was using it as a table, he would put his drinks and food on the second tom. I guess he felt it was not needed anymore.

User Info Menu

I keep a drink on my second FT, along with the set list. Together these items act as really good mutes for the ringy tom. Just have to make sure to hit the head where it's clear.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Ride placement and I like the deep tones 16x16 16x18 on the floor
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I just snagged a used 6pc Mapex Armory kit w/ a 14x14 and a 16x16. Love it! I'd played 6pc at rehearsal places but never owned one. I like having more options on the lower range and the ability to play some really cool thundery patterns is the best!
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone