Thread: Can you play with half of a double bass drum pedal setup..?

User Info Menu

Default Can you play with half of a double bass drum pedal setup..?

Hello to all on the Drum Chat site.
    I recently got a Gibraltar double bass drum pedal setup which is missing the bar connecting the two pedals.
    Is it possible to modify the pedal with the two beaters so that the second beater will hit the bass drum head a few nano-seconds after the first strike for a "bah-DUM" type of effect?
    (Currently the second beater is loose and unresponsive without the bar connecting the two pedals to trigger its movement).
    Any comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Peace.
    Last edited by doozer; 04-25-2017 at 02:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can you play with half of a double bass drum pedal setup..?

There's a pedal out there called the Duallist that does what you're describing, which is operate both beaters with one pedal. I've yet to see one in person, so I can't comment on whether or not they actually are worthwhile.

To your original question, without the bar it isn't going to function as a double pedal. On many models you can disconnect the bar, move the beater to the slave slide, and voila, you now have two single pedals...just add second bass drum.

You should be able to buy a replacement bar...emphasis on should. Gibraltar if I'm not mistaken has been purchased by DW and Spaz on here purchased curved rack bars that appeared to be manufactured differently than ones he already had on hand.

For the specific sound you describe, basically ghost notes on a bass drum, it is possible with just a single pedal and beater. I do it often. It can take some practice but it is possible.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm not sure why you would want to flam on a bass drum. It seems like it would get less precise and somewhat vague/messy sounding.
    You could find a rod, complete the double pedal and play flams when desired if it sounds good to you, then you wouldn't be committed to it constantly. Or you could tune more openly if a big sound is what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

I'd say just work on your foot speed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I'm not sure why you would want to flam on a bass drum. It seems like it would get less precise and somewhat vague/messy sounding.
    You could find a rod, complete the double pedal and play flams when desired if it sounds good to you, then you wouldn't be committed to it constantly. Or you could tune more openly if a big sound is what you're looking for.
    It's not a flam. It's two distinct notes. Followed by a snare note it becomes a triplet or a three stroke ruff. To the OP, you can play this with a regular pedal, ....well I can. You can do it with some practice. You don't need a special doo hickey. Bonham did it with a Speed King.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass