Thread: Just got my Gibraltar rack and got the kit set up

User Info Menu

Default Just got my Gibraltar rack and got the kit set up

I ordered my shellpack in May and got it in Sept (this year). I've been buying cymbals, hardware and bits and pieces since then. Now, this week, my Gibraltar rack system arrived. I put this together yesterday, but I know I'll be changing stuff around for a while. I'm still waiting for my Axis AL-2 pedals and I need a few more cymbal and bell arms.

Here it is:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Good kit there. A little cluttered for my liking, but great kit.

User Info Menu

Nice setup! why the 10" tom over the floor tom though?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Looks nice
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool set-up. Odd configuration... but still very cool.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

what made you go for mahogany drums? why not maple or birch?

User Info Menu

Kona excellent looking kit puzzled by the tom set up.

User Info Menu

whoa... just realized that you're rack toms are set up in reverse, but you're floor toms aren't.... wierd. vadrum sets his up a bit like that
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

can I come over

User Info Menu

Kona, that's a nice looking set up. I assume that the ride set up is about a sound you like on you fills. I'd sure like to hear about it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default 10 tom over the floor tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Nice setup! why the 10" tom over the floor tom though?
    It works for me with the setup here. I can have the "Bonham-type" large tom and two floors and then I can go with the 10" tom, and my Mini Gretsch snare with the Valje bongos over that. On my left side I have the Rotos up top. It gives me some versitility without just always going from left to right (I'm right handed) all the time. After I decided to place the rack toms that way I saw a photo where Billy Cobham and Kenny Arnoff had the same reverse rack tom setup - just a coincidence that I also tried it. I'm not quite in that calibre of drumming (yet).
    Gary

User Info Menu

i would love to play that kit. those cymbals are classy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    what made you go for mahogany drums? why not maple or birch?
    Khaya senegalensis African Mahogany

My neighbors are from Africa - I've been reading a lot about that country lately. Then I spotted the shellpack on the net and had an urger that I should try to buy them. It was nothing to do with comparing to another wood such as maple or birch. I guess if I was a seasoned pro that might have entered into the decision process.

There were only 60 shellpacks made each of the two shellpack configuration (4pc and 6pc) worldwide. So I had to make my mind up quick if I was going get one of these. I was going to buy a Gretsch USA Custom kit in a red or green sparkle. Quite a departure from that choice I must admit.

I contacted the Canadian Gretsch Rep. and he told me there were only a few of these shellpacks left so I went for it.

The rest is history. I think I made a good choice.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default ride sound - config - setup

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Kona, that's a nice looking set up. I assume that the ride set up is about a sound you like on you fills. I'd sure like to hear about it.

I really don't know exactly what I like yet. I've never played a kit this large and I've been away from playing a 'kit' since 1976. I have looked around a lot though and got some ideas (the forums, drum mags and concerts on DVD). I still have a 22" ride to fit in there somewhere - I'll be moving stuff around for sure. However; I do know that I like to play my ride nice and low on the right - kind of like between a floor and rack tom height. There are so many styles and configurations out there and so many good drummers to be influenced by - it's a good thing.
    Gary

Shazane Guest

Do I see a roto tom?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I really don't know exactly what I like yet. I've never played a kit this large and I've been away from playing a 'kit' since 1976. I have looked around a lot though and got some ideas (the forums, drum mags and concerts on DVD). I still have a 22" ride to fit in there somewhere - I'll be moving stuff around for sure. However; I do know that I like to play my ride nice and low on the right - kind of like between a floor and rack tom height. There are so many styles and configurations out there and so many good drummers to be influenced by - it's a good thing.
    It's all about the creativity, isn't it!!!! You might even create a new set up that no one else ever thought of! Every set up started that way. LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Nice kit! Nice Cymbals, enough said!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just got my Gibraltar rack and got the kit set up

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Good kit there. A little cluttered for my liking, but great kit.
    Tore the kit right down to only my Blackhawk Mighty Mini! Will leave the drums packed away and "shred" on this little beauty for now - love it.......

And.........the set-up is not "cluttered" lol

Couldn't stand not having them set up - sooooooooooo last night I put the rack back together and today I have my shellpack up and running. I've got my mighty mini Gretsch Blackhawk in the mix here and my double pedals are "rolling" - lotsa noise - I love it. I've got some Mel Lewis Istanbul Agop 14" hats but I'm using a 10" Alchemy Bell (top) and 10" Agop Splash (bottome). Nice and piercing - good effect with the double kick going on here. I took this photo today as I was getting down with the new pedals.........

Kona
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kona; 05-04-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: ADDED MORE STUFF
    Gary

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity, what made you tear it down and pack it away Kona?

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS KONA *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS GREAT IT will only HELP you enhance your ARTISTRY Mi amigo GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what made you tear it down and pack it away Kona?
    Hi PB and STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON
    How's the drumming going?

If you really want to know the details:

I bought a very nice Protection Racket 47" hardware bag. I wanted to see if all my hardware would fit into it. Everything fits nicely.

I'm still waiting for four (4) DW 3/4" cymbal posts to fit to my Gibraltar 9813DP Tom Tripod stands (2 of them) - I will then have enough hardware to set all my 14 cymbals and various percussion up in and around my Gibraltar GRS - 850DBL rack - I hope.

Beacuse I'm kind of new at setting up a Rack system this is giving me a breather while I check around on the 'net' for some good ideas on how to set this rack system up.

I'm not 'gigging' but if I was packing everything up and down I would certainly go with a MUCH smaller kit.

Also, this is giving me a chance to set my Valje congas up along with just my Gretsch bass and new double pedals. Kind of a hybrid Conga/kit setup - Fun stuff.

CHANGES MADE HERE. SEE ABOVE. I couldn't stand not having the drums up and running so I changed my mind and set them up today (May 4th) See photo added above.

Cheers,

Kona
    Last edited by kona; 05-04-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: changes made
    Gary

User Info Menu

i also have a gibraltor drum rack, it makes my set look much better