Thread: Advice on building speed.

User Info Menu

Default Advice on building speed.

What is the best advice on building speed besides practice? I have been working on my single stroke roll. Right now i'm at 250 bpm and want to get faster. I am using promark forward 5b select balance sticks and a practice pad. Is it just practice or is time a factor? I bought the sound track to whiplash and have seen the movie and would like to be able to play that fast someday. That is my goal for this year.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice on building speed.

French grip. You move the stick with your fingers more instead of all wrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Pillows!!

User Info Menu

Practice!

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

i think it just comes with time and getting more confident in what and how you can do things. I'm referring to playing fast with a band, I never worked on technical things or really cared to. Maybe that makes me a bad drummer or maybe not I'm not sure.

to me playing fast is easier than playing slow.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You're just going to have to put the time in Gregg. It's mostly about the practice. That's awesome that you've set yourself goals. That's how you do it man!

User Info Menu

Tottally agree with Rick
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy60 View Post
    What is the best advice on building speed besides practice?
    There is no other way. Put the time in. Work with a metronome. Keep increasing the speed. Don't move to a higher speed until you make no mistakes. Want to get better/faster? Go to the woodshed...............there are no shortcuts.

User Info Menu

if you just play drums and don't do anything else ie. no social life , no computer, no parties on the weekend , if you go to a bar its only to play music ...then its possible to get that good quick but its crazy and not particularly healthy. playing slow is the key, building muscle memory from endurance will help with playing fast more than 30 seconds of playing quickly to a metronome.

User Info Menu

All of the above.......

What I will add, we all have our physical limits. We can all improve our speed to a degree...............but I know in my case, I'm not able to pull off the crazy fast stuff............even if I worked at it for years. Just like anything else in life, some people are just naturally able to go faster than others.

Luckily, music is not a race!

User Info Menu

I would love to be faster. Like most people, if my left hand was as fast as my right, I'd be satisfied. At every gig, my right hand plays 1/8 notes, triplets, shuffles, etc., for 4hrs. Meanwhile, my left only is playing every 3rd or 4th beat.
    Also, learning stick control and being able to control stick rebound and take advantage of it can make playing fast much easier. Unfortunately, I suck at that too. I can keep up with the rest of my band for the songs we play, so that hinders my motivation as well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham