Thread: New cymbal

User Info Menu

Default New cymbal

Since I haven't bought any new drum stuff in a couple of years. Decided to buy a new cymbal it's a 20" Zildjian K custom dry light. I tried to download a pic. of it but am having trouble doing it. I really like the cymbal it will be good for my jazz practice. Also found out that Tommy Igo uses the same cymbal so it must be a good one. Now to just clean it if I can figure that out.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: New cymbal

You are right K cymbal are great man you made a good purchase. As for cleaning you mean it is dirty. I always use water and vinegar to clean my Zildjians. I think there is a thread on cymbal cleaning.

User Info Menu

Excellent choice! I assume since it's the "dry" version, it's probably darker and dull in color like this?
    IMG_0948.JPG

If so, it's the patina that gives it the desired sound. Just use dish soap and water with a soft cotton rag (like an old t-shirt).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Congrats! You will enjoy it.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new cymbal. I agree with N2Bluz' comment about cleaning - just wash it with regular dishwashing detergent and carefully buff it till its bone dry. Part of the character of the cymbal is the patina finish which helps mellow the sound - using chemical cleaners will remove the patina, change the sound and destroy its resale value should you ever need to sell it.

User Info Menu

Very nice, congrats!

User Info Menu

I've got two K crashes and a fantastic pair of 13 inch hats..................simply the best.
    Glad you joined the family................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Let me get onboard with others here. Do not polish this cymbal. I play only traditional finish cymbals for the very reason that they patina. Brilliant finish cymbals never patina in an attractive way and must be polished eventually. To clean your cymbal (BTW, very nice) just use a lemon. No seriously, it's an excellent cymbal cleaner. Cut one in half and use it like you would a sponge. Rinse and dry with a towel. It will remove all the grime, fingerprints, stick wax, etc. without harming the ink or finish.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

^Agree.

It's what I do.. except for I use lime. But same concept.