Thread: More fun with a cheap ride cymbal

User Info Menu

Default More fun with a cheap ride cymbal

A couple weeks ago I picked up a cheap ($70) Chinese made ride cymbal. It's a generic prototype sample made as demo unit for private label branding (drum shows, sales demos for distribution, etc.) The only marking was "Jinshengyuan", which is the foundry that made it. There were others that literally said, "customer name here", . It's B20, lathed and hand hammered, with a nice big bell. I was surprised at how good it sounded. It has a real mellow sound with plenty of stick definition and a nice complex & full wash. No "trashy" overtones. I used it for our last gig and really liked it. My only complaint was it sounded a little on the dull and dead side.
    It had a natural finish (like Zildjian A) and had been painted with what looked to me like clear lacquer, which gave it a satin gloss look. I assume it was mostly to protect it from all the handling. I decided to try stripping it and seeing how close I could get to a mirror polished finish like my Wuhan crashes. So....I broke out the paint stripper, 220grit and 400grit foam sanding blocks, 1000grit sandpaper, "000" steel wool, an 18V DeWalt drill, Mothers Mag Wheel polishing compound and a foam "powerball" attachment.
    I spent about 2hrs stripping the clear, progressively hand sanding and finally buffing it with the cordless drill and mag wheel compound. So, here's the "before & after"

BEFORE
    IMG_0949.jpg
    It looks better in the pic than in person. The shine is 99% due to the clear coat. You can judge it by the depth and clarity of the reflection here
    IMG_0957.jpg

And here's the AFTER
    IMG_0954.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: More fun with a cheap ride cymbal

Here's more AFTER pics. You can really notice the difference in the depth and clarity of the reflection
    IMG_0955.jpg
    and here's some more AFTER pics. The difference is pretty dramatic in person. It now looks very close to the mirror finish on A Customs. It matches my Wuhan crashes perfectly and HOPEFULLY, it will have a more open and resonate sound. We'll see.
    IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

So did the sound change ? Did it loosen up after the clear coat came off ?

User Info Menu

Yes, it seems to have helped. It seems to have more sustain and a more prevalent wash. Also noticed more higher pitched overtones and ring. It's a subtle change, but hard to say how much. It doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference in sound out in front from the audience.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Very nice! It looks like the exact same finish as my Wuhan splashes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Played it this morning at band practice. Polishing definitely opened it up. Much more "glassy" sounding now....and the higher pitched overtones come through more. Can't decide if I like it better or not, LOL. I'll have to hear some sounds clips of the band to see what it sounds like in a mix. Either way, it sounds pretty darn good for a $70 ride....and it was a lot of fun messing around with it. So now, on to the next endeavor.

I have an 18" Zildjian A Medium ride (natural finish) that I picked up for $80 last year. I also have a huge pile of dark black topsoil in my back yard. I'm thinking about burying the Zildjian for a year, just to see what comes of it, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Very nice! It looks like the exact same finish as my Wuhan splashes.
    Actually, it now looks identical to the Wuhan splashes and crashes that I have....although not quite as pronounced hammering as my Wuhan 18" C/R. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same cymbal Wuhan sells as a 20" Heavy ride.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Good job Brian.

I've attempted to do the same thing to a regular finish B20 Stagg Ride. Well tbh I only did one side! I repeatedly scrubbed it with a scouring pad (for non-stick saucepans) and BKF, and finally polished with Brasso - it was very laborious and looked good, except there are still faint areas of lacquer remaining - Argggh! I've repeated the BKF treatment a few times but the coating that remains is very stubborn and only a tiny amount is removed each time.

Thanks for the tip about paint stripper - that should get rid of the pesky clear coat and halve the time for doing the other side. I think I've found the necessary enthusiasm to finish a job I started over 1 year ago!

User Info Menu

I have a Camber 300 series made in Germany red logo 18" crash/ride. Don't know the alloy maybe B8 as a crash horrible, as a ride sounds pretty good not tinny at all, good stick definition and a small bell but has a nice ping. I'm thinking about polishing it up as well. Played it at band practice tonight outside on a patio, I was impressed.

User Info Menu

sometimes theres a hidden gem with inexpensive cymbals.There was some Chinese cymbal at a local store that made me say wow! when I hit it.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

wow you put some work into that!!