Thread: cheap heads = trouble

User Info Menu

Default cheap heads = trouble

I tried a no name head on my snare and it was terrible. actually i've been sitting on them for awhile, bought two. it's kind of like a pinstripe but the main problem I think is the collar and glue.

it seemed to stretch out right away and dented in the middle which made it pretty much useless to play.

this is why i've always liked Aquarian. they are locked into the collar well to avoid premature failure. Remo too of course.

some things you just can't go cheap on.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: cheap heads = trouble

Someone gave me a whole set of head for Xmas and they were horrible. They were Dixon heads lol

User Info Menu

yeah sorry to be un politically correct but all those kinds of heads that we had were probably from China
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I use Remo heads 90 percent of the time, and I always stick with the big 3---heads are cheap---and not the place to cut corners!

User Info Menu

I guess I've never seen any other brands for sale besides Remo, Evans and Aquarian....brand new, anyway. I do occasionally see some off-brand or OEM take-off heads in the "used parts" bin at MGR.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

yeah definitely a no go for me.. . I like what I've used and I stick to what I like and know.

User Info Menu

Same here I have used all 3 big makers but in the end chose Evans.

User Info Menu

I'll economise by buying packs of Evans or Remo batter heads, or clear G1/Ambos for resos, in 10,12,14 or 12, 13, 16 for my drums instead of buying heads individually - occasionally there will be a freebie coated Ambo or pair of Vic Firth 5A sticks included. This works out only a few pounds more expensive than buying mystery brand heads so I don't see any point in risking it.

One thing that really bugs me is seeing used high end drums for sale on eBay boasting 'new heads just fitted' - on close inspection of the pics you generally find the seller has bought a set of no-name junk heads. I always buy used drums and know I will have to budget to change all the heads fairly quickly - but I'd prefer a set of high mileage Evans/Remo/Aquarian heads to those things.

User Info Menu

The only way I buy heads is in a pack with all my sizes in it. Cheaper than buying individually it just makes buying sense.

User Info Menu

I tend to go for the multi-pacs, too.

Fusion, baby, all the way.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I tried a no name head on my snare and it was terrible. actually i've been sitting on them for awhile, bought two. it's kind of like a pinstripe but the main problem I think is the collar and glue.

it seemed to stretch out right away and dented in the middle which made it pretty much useless to play.

this is why i've always liked Aquarian. they are locked into the collar well to avoid premature failure. Remo too of course.

some things you just can't go cheap on.
    I found out early on that when it comes to drum gear cheap anything means trouble. There is a difference between affordable and cheap.

User Info Menu

I've tried Attack drum heads and for the most part are great heads.
    They're just a pain in the butt to find locally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnnlO-XWIsE
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I stick to Remo heads aren't that expensive Never tried Evans at some point I will try them to see which I like best. There are enough cheap heads on kits off the shelf and after switching to a quality head I never looked back
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

i have all my drums at home finally so now i can put all the new ones i got a couple weeks ago on. tops n bottoms! all Aqaurian and 1 DW head for the 13'' reso.

i forgot to leave feedback on those cheap heads n the seller asked how i liked them just wrote 'yeah they were cool'
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

non brand heads or seconds?