Thread: iDrumTuner APP

User Info Menu

Default iDrumTuner APP

I stumbled onto the iDrumTuner app yesterday. The full version has to be purchased via the App Store, but there's a free "lite" version available to try. All the "lite" version does is register the fundamental pitch of the drum in Hz and give you a read out with respect to notes. The full version will also register individual lug pitch as well as other functions.

That said, I found it to work VERY WELL. You still need to understand how to tune a drum, but as far as registering the free fundamental pitch, it's easy to use and accurate. The developer used special algorithms to filter out overtones. I thought I had my 10" & 13" toms tuned to a 5th, but it just didn't sound exactly right. I tested them using the App, and it said I was 1/2 step flat on the 13" and almost a whole step too high on the 10". I found it hard to believe my ears were that far off, but adjusted them using the App and target frequencies. Once I had them retuned, I tested them by ear....and sure enough, they sounded great. I'll be buying the full App....and it's dirt cheap.
    Anyone with an iPhone should check it out. Here's a screen shot;
    IMG_0992.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: iDrumTuner APP

iv been using a for a few years

it works especially when my ears are thrashed out after a long day.

end of the day the best app i have is still me own ears

User Info Menu

I use it too. Cool little app.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Isn't it funny how some of the best sounding drums came out of the '50's, '60's, and '70's when all you had was 1 company making heads and your ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Isn't it funny how some of the best sounding drums came out of the '50's, '60's, and '70's when all you had was 1 company making heads and your ears.
    Agreed, I've seen dozens of tuning gadgets come and go. Never tried any of them. I know how I want my drums to sound and I trust my ears. I'm sure the app is good if you need to tune your drums to a certain note but I find each drum will tell you the pitch at which it sounds best.

User Info Menu

Got a Tunebot, and although I know how to tune, I found it was helpful.

FYI was listening to a Modern Drummer podcast about tuning and one of the things we don't realize when we tune "just with our ears" is that our ears are not equidistant from each drum, or even each lug, which can affect "perceived" pitch.

As for older drum recordings sounding better, that is an opinion not everyone holds.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Got a Tunebot, and although I know how to tune, I found it was helpful.

FYI was listening to a Modern Drummer podcast about tuning and one of the things we don't realize when we tune "just with our ears" is that our ears are not equidistant from each drum, or even each lug, which can affect "perceived" pitch.

As for older drum recordings sounding better, that is an opinion not everyone holds.

"Perceived pitch"

Are you going to worry about "perceived pitch", on a instrument that, if moved 10' forward, backward, or to the side, the sound will change. Moved from 1 venue that holds 200 people to a venue that holds 350 people, the "perceived pitch" will change quickly, and sometimes drastically.

As for older recordings. I would suggest that 1 revisit those years, remembering that, by todays standards, the equipment they were recorded on would be considered "primitive" compared to what's available today. Keeping that in mind, the drummers of that era got a better sound out of their drums with nothing more than Remo's and a tuning key.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this Brian. I was about to shell out $99 for a Tune-Bot but I'll look into buying the full app. for my phone.

User Info Menu

I just downloaded the app as we are putting all new heads on our kit tomorrow, thanks for the tip!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I changed my snare batter the other day and it sounds like poop. I am getting frustrated with it, so I may give this a try.

It's a Remo control sound reverse dot and it rings and rings....

Edit: I was missing a tension rod on my snare side. Got a new one and some blasters and sounds awesome.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 01-13-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: updated
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....