Thread: cold sticks

User Info Menu

Default cold sticks

I have just played a Christmas parade with frozen hands. I am determined to find an insulating material that reflects body heat and makes the sticks feel warm. If you place your hand against styrofoam it feels warm. But that is just your body heat being reflected back. A sticky sided tape would be ideal.
    Any ideas.

User Info Menu

before our performances we keep handwarmers in our hands.they sell them in music stores(i think,we get ours from our band director).they look like the silica gel packs that come in shoe boxes but once u expose them to air they start to heat up and feel real toasty.
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

yea, those heating pads work wonders, they can go for like 3 hours to, so warm up your sticks, then at the game, stick the butt end in your pocket along with a pad to keep them warm

User Info Menu

Lol
    <Chuck Norris voice> You just gotta bite through the pain!

Lol, just kiddin.
    I have the same problem too. Cold sticks make playing really hard, and to make matters worse I live in the middle of nowhere (where you have to drive two hours to get to anywhere where they MIGHT sell hand warmers.)
    I usually just get my other snare to crank his volume while I warm my hands for a few seconds, then I crank my volume while he warms his.
    No very effective, I know, but its the best we got. Lol.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

search online.
    bandshoppe.com they sell boxes of them
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

Got Chops?

User Info Menu

dude, i have no idea what to tell you, but that would be an aweosme idea if you pull thru w/ it. good luck
    DRUMMERBOCK

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm gonna say the hand warmers idea works the best. I use those for football games ('cept I'm in the pads, not with the drum then) and I usually stick them in my gloves til I have to go play. Then I pull 'em out and throw 'em at another cold football player lol.

User Info Menu

Cool cold sticks

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhawkDrummer View Post
    before our performances we keep handwarmers in our hands.they sell them in music stores(i think,we get ours from our band director).they look like the silica gel packs that come in shoe boxes but once u expose them to air they start to heat up and feel real toasty.
    Hey, 'Hawk...I think you can find something similar in the sporting goods department at Kmart, Wal-Mart, etc....same basic idea...

hopes this helps ya, stickery ...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yea, you can find those heating pads at those sections of any store really

Their a big use for hunters, and you can even find some that stay warm for like, 8 hours or so, hunters like to put those in their boots

User Info Menu

I could never wear gloves and drum, well, to look uniform, you need band gloves, and those are nice and slippery, So, gloves are pretty much out of the question for most lines

Especially since, well me at least, i need to feel the stick, athe wood, not fabric