Thread: If you could only have ONE cymbal which one?

User Info Menu

Default If you could only have ONE cymbal which one?

Besides hi hats, which i find indispensable, if you could only afford to get one cymbal what would you go with? A crash? A ride? And what size? What brand (for affordability) and why?
    More info from me, as a beginner, i am trying to learn many styles, bossa, reggae, country, funk. I love playing to pop songs and especially the Blues!
    Enjoy the little things in life because one day you`ll look back and realize they were the big things.

-Karrie

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could only have ONE cymbal which one?

Probably a large crash with a good bell would be my preference over a ride/crash ride - I don't own one but I'd probably be checking out the Sabian 'Omni' cymbals

User Info Menu

My Sabian HH 21" raw bell dry ride. Lots of stick definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

18" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash. Use it for anything and everything.
    Last edited by G-man; 06-15-2017 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

For a beginner, I would think a 20/22" Zildjian A Medium Ride would be my choice. These cymbals are pro-grade, nice sounding, versatile, affordable/plentiful on the used market, and have been around forever. I will admit that I don't know much about the other brands.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 06-15-2017 at 05:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Thank you

User Info Menu

I played on a 20" Meinl sand ride a few weeks back and I seriously got to have one. I am debating on selling my K hybrids and buying the Benny Greb set
    Last edited by MDK; 11-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thumbs up for the Sand Ride. Just picked one up used with no flaws, only a heavy patina. Great bell, very nice stick, crashable, and I can build a big wash if I want. It instantly went to the top of my list. Now if I could only work it like Benny Greb does.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    Dream Bliss and Contact
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The "quiet time" things:
    Zildjian L80 low volume cymbals
    Aquarian Super-Pads
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

User Info Menu

Definitely a ride. I think I'd have to go with my 21" Bosphrous Master Vintage. Great for everything, doubles as a crash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    18" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash. Use it for anything and everything.
    This is absolutely true. You can crash it and ride it. it's biggest weakness is that when doing soft mallet rolls it doesn't really speak well at dynamics of mp or below, but it's fine from mf and up.

My other suggestion is my new Zildjan K Hybrid 20" ride. Beautiful ride cymbal, very crashable, and is beautifully dark and sensitive with soft mallets. It's only weakness is it has a really long sustain when crashed and I find myself having to damp it a lot more than with other cymbals.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    My Sabian HH 21" raw bell dry ride. Lots of stick definition.
    Have to agree on the HH- RBDR..one awesome cymbal.

User Info Menu

The blonde one with the great bell, good projection with a minimum of wash and, when crashed, fast decay. A nice ping when played close to the bell with great stick definition.

Yep, that's the 1.

User Info Menu

That is an easy question to answer. My Sabian AA El Sabor 18 is the bomb. It has a great bell (best I ever played), is a great crash, and is a good ride. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

I have a 20" AAX Metal crash... and I tell you what I now use it as a ride cymbal and it is just unbelievably versatile.
    Being a "metal" crash you'd think it would be to thick and heavy but it's awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    That is an easy question to answer. My Sabian AA El Sabor 18 is the bomb. It has a great bell (best I ever played), is a great crash, and is a good ride. Peace and goodwill.
    The only problem is that I do not have it anymore. I gave it away! But I now have a Sabian SR2 18" Thin that is a better crash-ride than the El Sabor because it has a better ride sound. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Zildjian 22" K Custom Dark Ride
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Zultan Raw 22'' jazz ride... great jazz ride and great huge crash. But basically some high end big crash/jazz ride!