Thread: Bought a ludwig acrolite snare drum today.

User Info Menu

Default Bought a ludwig acrolite snare drum today.

Today I went after work to a music store. And bought a Ludwig acrolite snare drum from the early 70's. It needs a lot of work like cleaning and new heads on it. I think it will be a fun project and when I get it finished and tuned up it will sound great. Got it for $100.00 I didn't think that was bad at all.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bought a ludwig acrolite snare drum today.

Congrats! You'll love it. $100 sounds like a very fair price...especially for an early '70 version. I see them everywhere from $75 for ones that are all beat up to around $150 for pristine examples.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

$100 is fair , a friend of mine got one at a pawn shop with case for $50 decent shape. A YouTube guy named rdavidr got one at Goodwill for $29 that was in great shape. In my neck of the woods the cheapest I've seen is $129. I'm looking for one myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    $100 is fair , a friend of mine got one at a pawn shop with case for $50 decent shape. A YouTube guy named rdavidr got one at Goodwill for $29 that was in great shape. In my neck of the woods the cheapest I've seen is $129. I'm looking for one myself.
    Love watching David. I'm still looking for an acrolite here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    What would you be willing to spend?

Sorry for the blurry pic.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats!

IMO, The acro is the best "bang for the buck" you can get in drumming.

An amazing snare for the price

User Info Menu

It's not just a great-bang-for-the-buck snare, it's a just a great snare, regardless of the cost. I had a mid-70's acro that I sold a couple years ago (who needs all those snares, you can only play one at a time right?) that I wish I still had. I want another one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    What would you be willing to spend?

Sorry for the blurry pic.

My money is a little funny right now, but if the drum is still available in October I'll make an offer.

User Info Menu

I'm basically retired from professional drumming but for the occasional special event or favor, and I'm having difficulty resisting the urge to start collecting snare drums. I would have difficulty justifying it. I've had a few over the years, including a mid 60s Supraphonic that was stolen from me. Wish I still had that baby!
    At this point I only own my pride and joy Exotic Edge and an acrylic Fibes. (with kit)
    I'm thinking a modest collection may still be in the offing... "need" a (few) metal (s) and perhaps a birch et al...