Thread: Some in the drumming community are comical

User Info Menu

Default Some in the drumming community are comical

Bare with me here as I rant a little, while laughing.

I'm a member if several drummer groups on social media, and it never ceases to amaze me at the guys who act like if you don't do things their way, you're doing it wrong. They literally act like their way is the only way, period.

I just laugh at it all. Most likely it's someone who may have had one too many drinks (I call it Posting While Intoxicated lol) or that are just trying to be a keyboard cowboy and act all tough behind a screen.

In regards to this, I posted my "pillow or no pillow" post in a few places. This is one of those questions where you can go to different drum sites and get 200 different answers. Let's not forget to mention the YouTube videos.

Some have mentioned tuning, and thats a valid thing to discuss. However, that is a whole other bag there as well.

Search "drum tuning" on YouTube and you'll find 15 different videos with 15 different ways to tune.

This is why I laugh when people act like their way is the right way that is set in stone. No, it's not. Different people like different things for different styles, and everyone does it different. Some tell you to use a drum dial. Some tell you to use a TuneBot. Some tell you to hand tighten then press down and tune until the wrinkles are out. John Good tells you to tap on the shell and tune to the note, lol.

Like I said, there's so many ways to do different things, and for someone to act like their way is the only way is comical to me. Maybe this is just me ranting a bit and maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but it is quite comical. It's also one of the big reasons this is my favorite drum site. People here are laid back and always willing to help.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Some in the drumming community are comical

Well said DrumWhipper I agree with you. DC is the place.

User Info Menu

Agree completely. It's amazing how tough people can act, when they are hiding behind a keyboard.

Tex

User Info Menu

I think it's kind of like swing mechanics in baseball. If you watch the pros, you'll notice that most of them have different styles when they're at the plate. Their swings appear to be different but if you slow down the video, you'll see that their swing mechanics are just the same when the bat goes into the zone on plane with the ball all the way through contact.

It's just that there are a lot of different ways to arrive at the same result which is a tuned drum. There is no wright nor wrong ... we just end up picking the method that works best for us ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 06-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.

User Info Menu

This may be a little off-topic, but I have been bashed for the last month (another forum) for using B8/ZBT cymbals to get the sound I needed for a friend's project! Creating music is a personal thing, and I don't mind advice, but don't try to tell me I'm doing it wrong!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    This may be a little off-topic, but I have been bashed for the last month (another forum) for using B8/ZBT cymbals to get the sound I needed for a friend's project! Creating music is a personal thing, and I don't mind advice, but don't try to tell me I'm doing it wrong!!!
    I play Sabian B8X cymbals currently. I have played numerous gigs where people were impressed with the sound, and it blew their minds when I told them what series they are.

Do I eventually want to upgrade? Absolutely. I want to upgrade my kit also, but I enjoy playing what I have for now. Even my little Mapex Horizon kit, too. LOL.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Yup, many different approaches to drumming just as life itself. You can do whatever you want to do.

Great to hear about you liking this forum because of the people. That's what DrumChat is known for. We don't tolerate bad mouthing and putting people down, etc. It happens now and then but it's rare.

User Info Menu

This is my "Bust Tom" week.

"Yup, many different approaches to drumming just as life itself. You can do whatever you want to do".

Well there Tom, no you can't do whatever you want.

I've been told, and I tend to believe it, that, if I go grab Jennifer Lawrence, there are some people, mainly those that go under the name "POLICE", tend to frown upon things like that and are likely to put me in something called a "cell", whatever that is. Something that is, so I've been told, 6'x12', does not sound like a nice place to spend the Holidays, whichever 1's they might be.

So, the correct way to put it would be: "You can do "ALMOST" anything, but not quite everything, that you want.

This is going to be a fun week. Be afraid Tom, be very afraid.

User Info Menu

Boy isn't that the truth. All those other people have no idea what they are doing.

You want it right and real....check with Bish....yeah, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I've been told, and I tend to believe it, that, if I go grab Jennifer Lawrence, there are some people, mainly those that go under the name "POLICE", tend to frown upon things like that and are likely to put me in something called a "cell", whatever that is. Something that is, so I've been told, 6'x12', does not sound like a nice place to spend the Holidays, whichever 1's they might be.
    I hope this isn't from personal experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

"I hope this isn't from personal experience. :eh":[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is. 3 days in Hudson County Jail back in the '70's.

When I was divorced from wife #1 and the support for my kids was worked out. I had it taken from my disability money (the trick is to be wounded, but not killed) and on the 1st of the month, she would get a government check covering the support payments.

The problem was that I didn't go through NJ or NC and let them know about the check, so as far as both states were concerned, I wasn't paying support.

I came out of college 1 day and my car is gone. I call the local police and I'm told that, being it was on Kennedy (Hudson) Blvd., I would have to go to the county troopers office on Duncan Ave in Jersey City and see if they towed my car (they did). I thought I was parked in a legal zone but I obviously wasn't. I paid the find and the trooper in charge says he has to make a phone call to make sure that there are no warrants out for me (there was). He comes out from behind the counter, throws me against the wall, and cuffs me. I had no idea why I was being arrested. I asked the trooper who was driving me to the jail why I was being arrested and he said that I would find out soon enough.

Anyway, it took them 3 days to sort it out. I spent those 3 days in a blue leisure suit, didn't take a shower, (something about dropping the soap) and smelled like something the cat would not drag in. I played gin rummy with a guy called Blood, who was about 6' 14" tall, and weighed about as much as 2 of the front 4 of the Cowboys. He had been waiting 8 months for arraignment on murder charges in Newark. I made sure I lost every game we played just to be on the safe side.

In the computer age, it would have been sorted out in about 10 minutes. Back in those days, you had to wait for the Pony Express. It was another adventure in my life. Not really a big deal, but I just made sure I stayed on the good side of the Hulk.

This story is true, the names have been changed to protect the stupid.

User Info Menu

I don't even bother on other sites anymore

User Info Menu

Rick you cease to amaze me.. lol thanks for the story and laugh... sorry but i did laugh
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

"Rick you (never) cease to amaze me.. lol thanks for the story and laugh... sorry but i did laugh"

Glad I could bring a little sunshine into your life. I laughed after they released me, but I never laughed across from the Hulk.

Never laugh at anybody who has to have reinforced toilet seats.

User Info Menu

Someone change his name to "RickTheOutlaw" lol

User Info Menu

Edit - (I intended to quote Hippychip's post here, but didn't.....)

Expressing an opinion on that particular site can be like playing Russian Roulette - I believe it would be useful if they included 'Approved Opinions' in addition to their Forum Rules. If you attract the attentions of their overactive Opinion Police make sure you are wearing flame retardant clothing.

Its great coming here in the knowledge that members understand what the phrase 'in my opinion' means and expressing it will probably result in other members replying with their own opinions or alternative suggestions instead of ridicule and character assassination.
    Last edited by crispycritters; 06-27-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Stupidity