Thread: Coated white heads

User Info Menu

Default Coated white heads

In all my years drumming, I've always used clear heads(crazy huh). Well I've been checking on some coated white heads and since I'm a Evans guy, I ordered a couple of UV1's. Without spending a lot of cash I decided to put them on my smallest kit. . . . .My Sonor Safari's. I'll get them tomorrow. I've heard good things about them, but if they sound funky I could fall back on my clear g2's.Or I might try the g2 coated 360's....... i'll let you know! I ordered one 10" & one 14".

User Info Menu

Default Re: Coated white heads

I went from clear 2ply to coated Ambassadors on my Bop kit (10" & 13"FT). I really liked the change in sound. I think the added warmth and resonance gave them a much fuller sound. I've heard about the UV's and will be interested in your results!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I tried 3 different heads on my Black Brass snare, and couldn't get the sound I wanted. Finally I switched to a UV1 with a 200 reso. Now I like what I'm hearing!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I absolutely love my coated heads. I have coated heads on 4 of my kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I went from clear 2ply to coated Ambassadors on my Bop kit (10" & 13"FT). I really liked the change in sound. I think the added warmth and resonance gave them a much fuller sound. I've heard about the UV's and will be interested in your results!
    I just put them on. . . . . . and WOW! I like'em! I recommend them. I guess they silk screen the coating on them and drying them under heat lamps instead of spraying the coating on and air drying, like the other heads they have. I'm sure they would sound good on some snare drums,but snare drums are a different breed. lol Oh, yeah the Xs 20 ride I bought used cheap and it was wasted. When I cleaned it up I wasted the logos almost gone! I brought the logos back w/a black sharpie. It worked great! It's been on awhile and no fade! Those logos were almost gone!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 06-26-2017 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

logo's look good. can't tell they were touched up
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I like those clear dots so much nicer than moon gel big blue rectangles. Need to get me some of those

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I absolutely love my coated heads. I have coated heads on 4 of my kits.
    Spaz, are you using remos or Evans, two or one ply batters?
    I still have the stock DW remos on my Collectors and want to try some coated remos, probably single ply as I don't want to damp too much...