Thread: Floor Tom

User Info Menu

Default Floor Tom

Hi all
    my floor tom is missing the bottom rim and skin. it has the mounting lugs. replace it or go without bottom resonator ?....also on the same note (no pun intended)....I read somewhere to lose the legs mounted to the shell and go with legs mounted to the (missing) bottom ring. suggestions.
    thanks
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Riff, without the resonant head the tom will have the thuddy, dead 70's sound. For a more current sound, or to be able to play a wider variety of styles, the resonant head would be important. As to the legs mounted to the rim rather than the shell, it would certainly let the shell resonate more (which would suggest that you indeed should get the resonant head, if you are considering more resonance). I have never seen legs mounted to the bottom rim of the floor tom, so I'll let the more experienced drummers speak to that one.

Btw, what kind of batter heads are you using now?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I would get a reso on there with a hoop if you can get hold of one. Rim mounts really arent necessary to be honest- just use 1 ply heads and you can get a good resonant sound. Rim mounts seem like a bit of a fad to me and dont seem to be too differential soundwise.

Hope I could help
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

what pastor bob said, but ill ephisize it, it will sound deader then dead.

User Info Menu

There are feet available that I have heard about that I believe are manufactured by Pearl and they go on the bottom of the floor tom legs. They are quite a bit bigger, and they advertise that it isolates the drum similar to having it in a cage rim mount. I will tell you though just putting a resonant head on the drum will wake it up so much more than it is now. As others have stated I don't think the cage rim mount is really necessary. i would try the rubber feet that pearl makes first.

User Info Menu

deffinately get a reso!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

RESO! RESO! RESO!! gotta got the RESO!

LOL to Lafirin on that overemphasize of PB's comments

User Info Menu

Cool Floor Tom

I've never seen--or heard--a floor tom with the legs mounted to the lower rim. If they were, Riff, your floor tom would be flat on the floor right now since you're minus the reso head and hoop ...

I played a floor tom without the reso head and, as PB said, you'd have "that (not-so-great) 70s sound" ... depending on the set you're playing, you should be able to order a replacement hoop (or maybe even find one in stock), so you can put a reso head on the bottom...

Good luck, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Bongobro, the rims mount with legs is made by Gauger and attaches similar to the reagular rims mounting to the tuning rods on the bottom of the drum, and it creates kind of a basket or cage that the drum rests in. If I knew how to post a link I would post it because I am not doing a good job of describing it. but it isolates the drum and the legs attach to the basket. I really do not think they are necessary and don't make that much difference to a floor tom. But that is just my take on it.

User Info Menu

wow
    thanks for all the responses. guess i won't be bothering to get the "fancy legs". The system I was refering to is a RIMS, but I have no idea what it looks like, other than you need a wider drum case when installed?
    will be shopping for some drum stuff next week. was going to install "pin stripes" on the floor tom. I think I can pick up the bottom ring, as I think it is standard 8 lug X 16".
    will probably upgrade 1 drum at a time.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Riff Wrath, Gauger was the original owner and I believe held the first patents for the rims style mounts. He sold the company and the name "rims". he still sells rims style mounts through his company by the name of gauger. There is a lot of companies selling rims style mounts. My suspicion is when the patents expired a number of companies then started to manufacture them. I am not sure how many of them sell the floor tom basket however, but I know that gauger does. I've heard somewhere that DW particularly PDP was the company that bought the original rights to rims mounts. My kit has the old style rims mounts. I don't know if that is true or not but I know I heard or read that somewhere. Also the gauger style rims are now aluminum as opposed to chromed steel so they are lighter in weight.

If any one here can shed a more accurate light on this subject. or if I am miss informed, please post the correct information for us all. I am not a fan of spreading miss information. But what I have posted is how I understand the issue to be!

User Info Menu

thanks backtodrum....I know very little drum stuff, and with half the stuff I google it seems to make me more confused. I live near 2 cities with 3 very good music stores, but I seldom get out to shop...the GAS is way too tempting...LOL...also before I got my kit I was focused on guitar stuff. As mentioned, I am going to go drum by drum and upgrade.

also I have nothing for cymbals yet, so lots of reading required on previous threads & posts.

appreciate your interest.
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dynamount.html

It's gauger, and he still calls them RIMS
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Interesting. Thanks for the thread Riff. I had no idea that these actually existed.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

http://www.sjcdrums.com/productdetail.php?id=707

another set of gauger mounts
    on an sjc =]
    drools

User Info Menu

well......someone is going to have to buy the mounting kit so they can tell us how effective the system is.....being a newbie and all....I should not spend the money until advised to do so....LOL...
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Klbakke2, Those are the exact gauger rims I was refering too. I don't know how to post pictures or links, Or i would have done it myself. Thank you!

User Info Menu

yup...that must be them.....seeing as I'm a newbie and all...perhaps someone else should lay out the coin and buy the system and report back...LOL
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

there is also a system....ISS..?....that I read somewhere for mounting the smaller toms..instead of attaching them to the bass drum.
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Riff Wrath, you never asked us what they cost, or if they were cheap. You just asked it there was a supension system for a floor tom.. Again i don't think that the cost justifies the return on investment sound wise to make them worth it IMHO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    there is also a system....ISS..?....that I read somewhere for mounting the smaller toms..instead of attaching them to the bass drum.
    RIFF
    Riff, ISS and several other mounting methods are used to keep from mounting the toms with an arm that puts a large hole in shell of the tom (as is usually the case with the entry level kits). If you want a mounting system that takes the mount off the bass drum (known as having a "virgin bass/kick" because there is no mounting hole in the bass drum), then you will need to mount the ride toms on a stand so that they are suspended over the bass drum. That configuration can be found on more professional quality kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Klbakke2, Those are the exact gauger rims I was refering too. I don't know how to post pictures or links, Or i would have done it myself. Thank you!
    welcome bud =]

oh and in case anybody was wondering
    my name is kjell
    feel free to refer to me by it
    or give me a random nickname and roll with it hahaha

User Info Menu

oh and if you look at the link i posted earlier the rack toms have suspension mount on them as well

(my kit does to =])

User Info Menu

Isn't the Iss system developed by Yamaha. Or is it pearl. A number drum companies have their own system. I think one of the best is DW where they mount off of the lugs and not the tuning rods.

User Info Menu

Cool Floor Tom

Riff, thanks for bringin' up a topic none of us thought about before...that's the cool part of this forum...we all share in what you bring to the table...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck