Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Hi, Anyone have suggestions on a sturdy light weight throne that can support a 220lb. drummer? I'm replacing all hardware with lighter stands. The only thing I need now is a sturdy lighter throne. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    is there such a thing ?

    last time i looked all decent thrones are just that, a throne and not a flimsy barn stool not a milk create ..

    best thing i ever did was get a really nice throne

    gibraltar , tama , pearl , dw ..have a look at the mid range

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Thanks for the reply itchie. Way back when I started drumming in the 60's light drum thrones were common. I guess there's a reason they don't make thrones like that any more. Thanks again, I may have to get one of the mid level thrones.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    I use the Gibraltar 9608 round. Not lightweight, but incredibly solid and comfy
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    I have a Gibraltar 9600 throne with an oversized motorcycle top and backrest. It's extremely heavy in weight....probably as much as all my DW lightweight hi-hat, cymbal and snare stands put together. It's also very awkward to pack and takes up a lot of room in the bag. I would love to find a lighter weight throne that is still solid and supportive on my hips and back. However, I can now play a 4+ hour gig and not get lower back pain. To me, it's worth the trade off. I've found that thrones that wobble, have a loose seat top or lots of soft padding are the worst for me. They make my hip and back muscles constantly work to keep my body stable. A solid seat with firm padding that doesn't wobble or spin allows me to sit in a relaxed position and use my muscles for playing and not for maintaining stability.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    I understand wanting to lighten the load when hauling your gear around, but a throne is not something I would skimp on---you are a big boy, and you need a big boy chair!

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Take a 3 legged wooden kitchen stool. Saw off legs to desired height. VOILA!! Solid. Lightweight. Never wobbles.

    all the best...

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Don't know that I would go light-weight at 220. You're in the "I need sturdy" range.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a Gibraltar 9600 throne with an oversized motorcycle top and backrest. It's extremely heavy in weight....probably as much as all my DW lightweight hi-hat, cymbal and snare stands put together. It's also very awkward to pack and takes up a lot of room in the bag. I would love to find a lighter weight throne that is still solid and supportive on my hips and back. However, I can now play a 4+ hour gig and not get lower back pain. To me, it's worth the trade off. I've found that thrones that wobble, have a loose seat top or lots of soft padding are the worst for me. They make my hip and back muscles constantly work to keep my body stable. A solid seat with firm padding that doesn't wobble or spin allows me to sit in a relaxed position and use my muscles for playing and not for maintaining stability.
    Have you had any issue with the seat spinning? The shaft that connects to the seat is completely round.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Have you had any issue with the seat spinning? The shaft that connects to the seat is completely round.
    Sometimes. I usually check and re-tighten the seat clamp about mid-gig. My only real complaint is the threaded seat shaft has a little slop where it threads into the base. Even with the additional keyed thread lock clamp, it still turns just a little bit in the base. I suspect it's due to the clearance in the threads. I WILL say, it's definitely a "heavy duty" built throne.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    go sit on a bunch of thrones and let your butt make the decision

    if all fails, cant go wrong with gibraltar 9000 series

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    R&S Nitro three legged has been a very good sturdy throne for me. Not the lightest or the heaviest I would say in between.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    It's been said above so here it is again.

    Lightweight....don't bother. It has to serve you well for many hours at a time and durability and comfort are better built in to better built thrones. Hmmm. think I'm going to patent that phrase....BRB...

    OK, I'm back.

    Don't skimp on that, ever! You'll be kicking yourself in the rear if you go that route once you realize it wasn't worth skimping on. Of course your rear will be numb so at least you won't feel the butt kicking.

    Now to answer your question, some of the best built single braced drum hardware comes from Yamaha, in my personal opinion. If they make a light weight frame, I'd bank on it being well built. But then you have to make sure the seat is what you want and sitting on one for two minutes won't give you important feedback. You need to sit on one for a good 15-20 minutes to see if you get fatigued at all. If so, that throne is not for you.

    Again all the above is my opinion or from my experiences. Yours may vary but probably not by much. Good luck finding YOUR throne.


    Personally, (again) all I use is Roc-n-Soc tractor style seats. I have several bases that are either thread adjustable or hydraulic.
    Last edited by Bish; 07-12-2017 at 03:03 PM.
    Signature here

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Thanks for all of the recommendations and help guys. After pondering what you guys have said I think I'll stick with my heavy Yamaha seat that I've had for 30 or so years. I'm truly greatfull for all replies. Sincerely, Don
    Last edited by alba359; 07-12-2017 at 05:20 AM.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a Gibraltar 9600 throne with an oversized motorcycle top and backrest. It's extremely heavy in weight....probably as much as all my DW lightweight hi-hat, cymbal and snare stands put together. It's also very awkward to pack and takes up a lot of room in the bag. I would love to find a lighter weight throne that is still solid and supportive on my hips and back. However, I can now play a 4+ hour gig and not get lower back pain. To me, it's worth the trade off. I've found that thrones that wobble, have a loose seat top or lots of soft padding are the worst for me. They make my hip and back muscles constantly work to keep my body stable. A solid seat with firm padding that doesn't wobble or spin allows me to sit in a relaxed position and use my muscles for playing and not for maintaining stability.
    You described the "Big Boy" Pork Pie throne to a tee. It's way too cushy for my tastes and has loosened up during playing.



    If I go down this path again, my next throne would be the Ahead throne:


  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    you know some of these thones nowadays are like lazy boy recliners. I get wanting comfort it sucks sitting on a rock for 3 hrs but I don't like to get too comfy. i still like round tops with good foam that are half the size of a lot of stuff that's available.
    Last edited by slinky; 09-09-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    you know some of these thones nowadays are like lazy boy recliners. I get wanting comfort it sucks sitting on a rock for 3 hrs but I don't like to get too comfy. i still like round tops with good foam that are half the size of a lot of stuff that's available.
    +1

    ... and can fit inside of a drum cases for hauling around ...

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    I realize this thread is a bit old now but just for future reference for someone....I recently just got my Roland TD11 kit and I also ordered the Pearl D50 lightweight throne with it. It was $30 and it's terrible. I weigh just a few pounds more than the OP and my butt hurts after not even an hour of practicing. It even starts going to sleep. I have to get up and give myself a break before I continue playing.
    Last edited by drummerboy2015; 09-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    I realize this thread is a bit old now but just for future reference for someone....I recently just got my Roland TD11 kit and I also ordered the Pearl D50 lightweight throne with it. It was $30 and it's terrible. I weigh just a few pounds more than the OP and my butt hurts after not even an hour of practicing. It even starts going to sleep. I have to get up and give myself a break before I continue playing.
    No worries about bumping threads up; it gives guys like me who've missed it a chance to chime in. Pain and discomfort while playing drums is a huge distraction when you're trying to concentrate on things like timing and dynamics and it could affect the outcome of whatever you're trying to play. Having said that, I've invested in a solid throne and I no longer have to suffer while I play.

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    Hi, Anyone have suggestions on a sturdy light weight throne that can support a 220lb. drummer? I'm replacing all hardware with lighter stands. The only thing I need now is a sturdy lighter throne. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don
    This is a SORE subject with me! 100% agree on needing a lightweight stand and the only offerings seem to be ridiculously heavy or absolute garbage. I have two stands, a DW9000, which is heavy as heck, and an old Dixon which is much lighter. I am really close to making a frankenstein seat, read on for a quick ramble.

    Alrighty, the seat I have is right here:
    http://intl.playdixon.com/hardware/D...ID=4&ID=122854

    Pro's: It's pretty light, its plenty sturdy. Sturdier than it has to be actually, I could even go with a lighter seat and be just fine. (I'm 220# and bounce around alot). I really like the height adjustment. The old school through bolt, never unwinds during a gig. It's always exactly where I set it.

    Con's: The seat cushion blows. My *** hurts after a 20 minute sesh. The through bolt adjustment would annoy people who must have infinitely adjustable height.(me I'd rather set it and forget it)

    I am really considering taking the soft seat from my DW9000 and swapping the base so it will fit on the Dixon seat. The DW9000 is too heavy, and the screw type height adjustment irritates me so bad I actually welded it in place.

    In summation, buy a cheap Dixon seat, and a nice cushion to sit on. In all seriousness the toy drum seat that came with my little boy's kit, it borderline on sturdiness. Anything above that is way fine.

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    You described the "Big Boy" Pork Pie throne to a tee. It's way too cushy for my tastes and has loosened up during playing.



    If I go down this path again, my next throne would be the Ahead throne:

    When you're ready to get rid of that Pork Pie keep me in mind then
    12pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (23pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 45 Snare drums and growing!

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    when it comes to a throne replacement it takes some time to make sure we get what we want and need. So many different kinds to choose from these days. The last one I bought to replace my old Tama Titan was the Sonor
    2000 round top. At first I didn't want the screw height adjuster but compromised. The base is a tank. Thick tubing. The tightening wing screws are smooth and hold right. No wobble with the screw type height adjuster and really nice rubber base feet. Folds up effortlessly. Very pleased.

    The top cushion was softer than I expected but it could be because of the rock I was use to sitting on before. I'm use to the feel of it now and couldn't be happier with this throne. Check one out if you get a chance. It's hard to make a decision from online photos without actually sitting on it but it can give you an idea about it.

    8669752_800.jpg
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    untitled.jpg

    Kohler offers some different style thrones. They all come with a backrest. The seat is a little hard but you can always flip it up and give yourself some breathing room.

    If you can get 1 with a bidet untitled.jpg you will have everything covered, be able to enjoy the gig, and never have to leave the stage.

    With this seat, G.A.S. is nonexistent.

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    ^^^^^ At least that would give me an excuse when people realize my drumming stinks. Plus, they look lighter weight than my Gibraltar 9600!
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Any suggestions on a lightweight throne?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    untitled.jpg

    Kohler offers some different style thrones. They all come with a backrest. The seat is a little hard but you can always flip it up and give yourself some breathing room.

    If you can get 1 with a bidet untitled.jpg you will have everything covered, be able to enjoy the gig, and never have to leave the stage.

    With this seat, G.A.S. is nonexistent.
    looks good... does it come with accesories? a weeks supply of tp maybe ?
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •