Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earning a living

User Info Menu

Default Re: Earning a living

Heavy duty/tractor-trailer mechanic for over 25 years. I worked for ma/pop places to big companies like FedEx, BNSF, and DHL. In 2011 a friend and I decided to start our own business repairing big rigs. We have 4 service trucks now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    Heavy duty/tractor-trailer mechanic for over 25 years. I worked for ma/pop places to big companies like FedEx, BNSF, and DHL. In 2011 a friend and I decided to start our own business repairing big rigs. We have 4 service trucks now.
    One of my favorite sounds on earth is a winding up a 6-71 Detroit. Gives me goosebumps.

My dad operated a heavy equipment construction business (dozers, scrapers, graders, bucket loaders, dump trucks, etc). He was one of the best diesel mechanics around and a huge Detroit Diesel fan. In High School, I drove a '72 Ford F-350 that had a 4-53 Detroit swap. My dad used to drive an '81 F350 with a 3208 Cat swap as well. I still have an '79 F250 4x4 with a turbocharged OM352 Mercedes swap and an Electric shift Eaton 2-speed auxiliary.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yes! Yes! Yes! We called them "Screamers". The 6V71 was my engine for my final exam in college. Complete teardown and rebuild and had to run. My first tune up was on a 8V92 bus engine. My favorite engines to work on are Cummins any series. The manuals to the engine itself very simple, easy, and self explanatory. I wish they were all like that but technology is getting better in heavy duty.

User Info Menu

"It's hard work and very very hot"

To quote Johnny Carson's audience: ......................... HOW HARD IS IT?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Many thanks for your dedicated service. I, too, was a paper route rat.
    Thanks brother.................had a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Paper route from 10-16 years old. Bought my first car myself at 16 from all the collection money I had saved (and Christmas tips).

A paper route taught me a lot......................and allowed me to buy me fist Ludwig kit when I was 12.

It should be mandatory for young men!

User Info Menu

It should be mandatory for young men!
    I agree...except I think newspapers are going the way of the Dodo bird!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Machinist for 27 years and counting. I make extra money working on guitars and drums. My goal is to phase out my real job, and work on musical instruments for a living!

User Info Menu

I'm a buyer for a Grocery/Drugstore chain. Buying and selling is what I've done my entire career. Been with my current company for nine years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    Machinist for 27 years and counting. I make extra money working on guitars and drums. My goal is to phase out my real job, and work on musical instruments for a living!
    That's kinda my dream as well. About another 15yrs and I'd like to cut back to a part time job, play music on the side and build/repair drums and guitars when time allows.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham