Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you add a spock to a quad set?

User Info Menu

Default can you add a spock to a quad set?

so im buying a quad set and not a quint set becaues my budget is limited.
    but in the future I know im going to want a spock on there. so my question is can you add a spock drum to a quad tenors set?

User Info Menu

im pretty sure you could(im not sure) but it looks like u can buy the spock and drill some holes to fit it in.are you in the video on youtube?alamitos high school?
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

Lol, yeah you can drop on in there.....literally we wanted a quint instead of a quad so we just dropped an extra tom in.....funny it just kinda sat there.

User Info Menu

depends on the model, most of them you can send them into yamaha, well our model at least, theirs a big open gap for the spock and the glock (6th drum) if you want to instal, but anyways, you send it in and they will install the spock shot, then send it back, or you can buy it and do it yourself, its not recommended though, because you have to measure and cut perfectly, then drill in and not kill the tone, but if your experienced you can

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Drummer, assuming you know what a set of quads are, the 4 drums, at an angle

A spock is the slang term for the 5th drum, to make them a set of quints, the bend of the other drums, (if you were to make an imaginary line, and connect the quads, youd get a bend around you)

Inside that bend, closest to you, their can be a 5th drum, called the spock, sometimes a 6th, sometimes called a glock, a gat, and "smallest"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by combatmed1 View Post
    Lol, yeah you can drop on in there.....literally we wanted a quint instead of a quad so we just dropped an extra tom in.....funny it just kinda sat there.
    We couldn't fold the toms for easy transport with the extra tom though... CM.. do you remember where we got the head for it? A practice pad... I'm suprised it sounded good at all!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I think they replaced that head......As for the folding.....ya'll were just to lazy to take it out and stick it in a box...lol...But it did sound good!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Drummer, assuming you know what a set of quads are, the 4 drums, at an angle

A spock is the slang term for the 5th drum, to make them a set of quints, the bend of the other drums, (if you were to make an imaginary line, and connect the quads, youd get a bend around you)

Inside that bend, closest to you, their can be a 5th drum, called the spock, sometimes a 6th, sometimes called a glock, a gat, and "smallest"
    Thanks Ch33zz, great explanation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    We couldn't fold the toms for easy transport with the extra tom though... CM.. do you remember where we got the head for it? A practice pad... I'm suprised it sounded good at all!
    All that just for a spock? You dont really even need it

But creative i guess

It just kinda sat in? like it wasnt held up by anything?

User Info Menu

lol, it was just an old like 6 or 8 inch tom that we found laying around the band room, and we notices that it was the same size as a remo practice pad, so we cannibalized the head just messing around, and it sounded sweet, so we kept it... and yeah, it just sat there, it rested on the mount where the quads fold up, so we couldn't fold it with the spock there.

User Info Menu

haha, nice

Ive never really found a use for the spock, i mean, i understand its good to have osmetimes, but at the highschool level, theirs not much hard things you have to do that needs a spock, if the piece calls for it, just play it on the 8 inch

User Info Menu

Most of the time, we were unsatisfied with the scores we got for our marching and stands tunes, so we wrote our own very often. It was nice to have the extra tom. Made things a bit more dynamic. Besides... more drums= more fun!

User Info Menu

haha, that works i guess =)

User Info Menu

It does indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Most of the time, we were unsatisfied with the scores we got for our marching and stands tunes, so we wrote our own very often. It was nice to have the extra tom. Made things a bit more dynamic. Besides... more drums= more fun!
    I would just like to say that I once took what my teacher called the 3 drum challenge at a gig. You set up your kit with 2 cymbals at the most, your hi-hat and a bass drum a snare and any tom I did my rack tom (but some people choose to do thiere floor tom.) That was one of the funniest and fun things I've ever done. I completley had to change one of the songs right at the last minute because the verse has a very sort of tom based beat. You should try it some time Kry.

Any way I think that should work

User Info Menu

Wink Re: can you add a spock to a quad set?

haha, nice

Ive never really found a use for the spock, i mean, i understand its good to have osmetimes, but at the highschool level, theirs not much hard things you have to do that needs a spock, if the piece calls for it, just play it on the 8 inch
    OMG our tenors have a spock and I'd be absolutely lost w/o it... it adds sooooo much to whatever you're playing. I honestly think that quads are pointless w/o the spock, no matter the level.

User Info Menu

Default Re: can you add a spock to a quad set?

Quote Originally Posted by quads4life View Post
    OMG our tenors have a spock and I'd be absolutely lost w/o it... it adds sooooo much to whatever you're playing. I honestly think that quads are pointless w/o the spock, no matter the level.
    Ive found it to be more of a pain, And i dont exactly understand

You barely play any notes on the spock, And all it really does is make a high clicking sound, Plus its usually never truley level with the 4 main drums, its usually always lower

Id imagine if your marching drumcorp or maybe a good college, but a usual highschool player dosnt even know what a scrape is, oir they wernt taught tenors the right way, they usually get tenors because their good at snare, and yea

User Info Menu

Ive found it to be more of a pain, And i dont exactly understand

You barely play any notes on the spock, And all it really does is make a high clicking sound, Plus its usually never truley level with the 4 main drums, its usually always lower

Id imagine if your marching drumcorp or maybe a good college, but a usual highschool player dosnt even know what a scrape is, oir they wernt taught tenors the right way, they usually get tenors because their good at snare, and yea
    honestly in our music we do play a fair amount on the spock...and ours actually have a nice timbre in accordance with the other drums...doesn't sound like a random click.

and also we had a guy specially set up our tenors, and the spock is level. Great for fluid motions around the drums. And i know you said usually, but I'm one of 2 tenor players at my HS and I went straight to tenors-not snare-when I joined the line.

User Info Menu

How did you do that?

Id imagine youd lose alot of your technique learning to break rudiments and learning one drum, before you learned it all on one snare

But hey, if ou have a good technique, and it worked out,. more power to ya

User Info Menu

Nah it wasn't too hard actually. We have a great set of tenors...

And for the technique, I had never drummed at all b4 I tried out for tenors, so they had a clean slate to work with as far as technique. Now whenever I play snare, I am realizing how nice it was to get down some fundamentals in a kinda roundabout way...

User Info Menu

If youve never played anything with percussion, putting you right away on multi's was a bad choice, You need to get everything down, and understand the fundamentals on ONE drum before you break it, You have to learn at your wrists, and learn your rudiments, before you introduce moving forarms, and breaking rudiments and other things, while keeping it in time

User Info Menu

I completely agree but they needed another tenor and we have really good instructors, so it didn't turn out as horribly as you might think...and good did come from it. I'm now studying for college entrance into a percussion program...turns out percussion is what I want to do with my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quads4life View Post
    i agree 100%, plus the spock has rebound like i don't know what =]

User Info Menu

So i just re-read the statement quads are pointless without a spock

And just thought to myself, quads wernt even designed with a spock, the spock is like adding a roto-tom to your set, its not needed, at all, quads started as a set of bongos and congas (throwback to people like BB) I dont even know why the spock was added