Thread: Kick Drum Head Cover/sticker

User Info Menu

Default Kick Drum Head Cover/sticker

Anyone have experience with full size sticker/covers for kick resos?

I just got 2 made as part of a big merchandise package that my band won at a showcase, last year. They basically come as a giant sticker/decal that you put on whatever head you choose.

I'm thinking I should buy a thinner, single ply, black head (Ifigure the sticker will act like a second ply and drastically deepen/darken the tone)... put it on the drum... tune it... and then apply the sticker, cut the KickPort hole, fine tune, set it and forget it.

Does the head stretch enough that the sticker would warp if I took the head off, again, for some reason?

Should I do it the other way? (put the sticker on the head first, and THEN install and tune the head)

I just have never used these before, and have zero knowledge as to what to expect and what could go wrong.
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick Drum Head Cover/sticker

I've installed plenty of them. The stickers will stretch with the head, that's no issue at all.

I've also always installed mine while the head was on because then it doesn't move on me!

User Info Menu

Me too. I have the local vinyl graphics/sign company print me off full size decals with my band's logo. I just install them with the head on the drum. Never had any issues with anything.

And Yes....the decal does add extra mass to the reso head. It will actually deaden it slightly and help control the overtones and ring. Pretty much like a felt strip would. I use single ply reso heads with edge control...like Evans EQ, Aquarian regulators or Remo Powerstroke Reso.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I've installed plenty of them. The stickers will stretch with the head, that's no issue at all.

I've also always installed mine while the head was on because then it doesn't move on me!
    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Me too. I have the local vinyl graphics/sign company print me off full size decals with my band's logo. I just install them with the head on the drum. Never had any issues with anything.

And Yes....the decal does add extra mass to the reso head. It will actually deaden it slightly and help control the overtones and ring. Pretty much like a felt strip would. I use single ply reso heads with edge control...like Evans EQ, Aquarian regulators or Remo Powerstroke Reso.
    Thanks, guys!
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Done!...

KickHead.jpg
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Nice! Is it removable or permanent?

User Info Menu

the artwork for the reso i'm using now was printed on the head and then sent to me.

You make a valid point about putting the vinyl film over the whole thing but if others have had sucess then i guess it's fine

looks great btw
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice! Is it removable or permanent?
    It's permanent. It's a pretty heavy duty sticker.
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    Done!...

KickHead.jpg
    Nice!!