Thread: Three racktoms double bass

User Info Menu

Default Three racktoms double bass

I'm looking to expand my kit from one tom to three toms.
    At the moment I've got a 13" tom (14" and 16" floors) and I'll replace the 13" with three toms 8", 10" and a 12".

My problem is that I'd like to get the 10" more or less centered. I don't want the 8" above the hihat or the 12" so I have to move my ridecymbal (currently over the right kick) way off to the right. I can move it a bit but not to far.

Now, if I had a rack, I'd have no issues but as for now, my wallet can't afford it. So I'll have to make do with conventional stands/holders.

Any tips/suggestions/pics of solutions?
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Default Re: Three racktoms double bass

It's gonna have to be a compromise. There's no way to fit three toms up without the ride moving right or at least up over the 12" and the 8" near the hats. I've struggled with this for a while as in my old age I like my ride in close and low. I eventually offset the three toms to the left, retaining the desired ride position and the 8" is angled a bit up and away to clear the hats. So the toms inscribe a zig-zag sort of. BTW, I don't believe a rack completely solves the issue either. these delightful items have a given size and require a given space...

User Info Menu

You could try sort of a Jeff porcaro thing where he has the smallest rack tom a little over the hihats.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

When I went back to playing a two up setup after years of playing a 4pc I moved the ride above the second tom and haven't looked back since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    When I went back to playing a two up setup after years of playing a 4pc I moved the ride above the second tom and haven't looked back since.
    I did the same thing. A little over the rack tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have mine setup 10,12,8 Which gave me the most room for my desired setup.
    Mostly because my 12 was also too deep to mount it how I wanted it on the far right.

User Info Menu

My first drum set (got it when I was a kid) was the classic 4 pc. kit.................I originally learned to play with the ride cymbal in the conventional position. After doing that for a few years, I played 4 toms for many years (either 3-up, 1-down or 2-up, 2-down) and the ride cymbal would be somewhere above the floor tom(s).

For the most recent 5 or 6 years, I have decided that the pocket is a higher priority and I prefer my ride cymbal back in the conventional position.
    I can use a configuration of 1-up, 2-down and still generate enough "fills" to make do............my current band plays covers in clubs and private parties and the pocket is most important. I agree with a previous post................to do anything else I would need to compromise.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Personally have never been shy of playing different setups. As far as "3 up" setups go i have a few photos of reference you can see

8" tom is attached to the left of a regular setup , this tends to push the hats over

this setup is a little crazy but it actually works, considering how little the 8" tom is usually played, only issue is the kick is a little off angle , playing straight into the second tom is now less efficient

this one the second tom is placed over the kick more, hihat can stay in original position but ride can be compromised, also looks crap

8" tom on the right side, looks odd but its still in a easy to reach spot ride needs to move to free up space

User Info Menu

Thanks, but I have to stress the fact that I play a double bass kit.
    I've seen some solutions involving all three toms mounted on one stand. But I don't know...gets really cluttered with all the clamps etc.
    Maybe I'll try to get me a rack bar mounted of my cymbal stands.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

i just wouldn't use the 8" tom unless its really important

User Info Menu

my new PDP setup puts the 8 down low by the snare. Super comfy actually.

User Info Menu

It takes a rack for me to pull this off. I know you can't afford one right now but I throw a cover over my kit when not in use and stands would flop around during the course of dragging the cover off/on the kit.

User Info Menu

I don't think my hair is big enough to play this one rich

User Info Menu

You got a point Paul. Here's something more for the follicley challenged.

User Info Menu

tasty

User Info Menu

what size bass drums? anything over 22's is going to be really high. if you like your toms somewhat flat you'll really gotta be on top of the set. But if you already sit high it might not be much of an issue.

sorry really didn't read the whole thread.
    Last edited by slinky; 08-16-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

who cares toms are just for looking at anyways

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    who cares toms are just for looking at anyways
    i actually agree with this