Thread: I Would Like Some Help Choosing

User Info Menu

Default I Would Like Some Help Choosing

I need a little advice on what you think. I've found two cheap kits (Not cheap as in bad but cheap as in PDP kits...which may have turned out to be a little sub par.)

Anyway Billy Hyde released two kits earlier this year and here are the specs:

45th Anniversary Vintage Rock Kit:
    24x18 Bass
    14x6.5 Snare
    12x10 RT
    14x14 FT
    16x16 FT

45th Anniversary Fusion Plus Kit:
    22x16 Bass
    14x5.5 Snare
    8x8 RT
    10x9 RT
    12x10 RT
    16x16 FT

Both are made of Birch not sure how many plys I'll check and try them out at a later date.

The Rock one is $999AU, the other is $899AU.

I'm buying the kit to gig with later next year and hopefully record some stuff. We will be a kind of Led Zeppelin ish inspired band but I would also like to be able to normal stuff on the kit play play some Latin and jazz and of course metal (Death metal because we all know led Zepp were one of the greatest metal bands of all time. And a 26" Bass is not going to go so well with 16th notes at 250bpm) stuff.

Billy Hyde also had two Zep kits for sale, both with a 26x14 bass, 16x16 FT and 18x16 FT with a 14x6.5 Snare but the difference between the two was one had a 15x12 RT and the other had a 13x9 RT, the difference? The one with the 13x9 RT costed about $10,000AU less... And if I was really going to go with the authentic kit I would buy the 15x12 RT, for $13,000AU. Not to mention buying the REAL Bonham cymbals. That's probably another $3000-4000AU gone.

Also don't let the price fool you these are great kits and the amount they cost just makes them better. I tired the Rock one out today.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-04-2007 at 05:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Roger, if I understand where you're trying to go with your playing, I think you are answering your own question. The Zeppelin inspired kits sound pretty cool, but they will favor a certain style. If you are thinking about Latin and Jazz styles too, I think the fusion kit would be the better buy for your overall desires - unless you are thinking of buying 2; one for the current gig, and one for the future.

Enjoy the process of figuring it out, bro!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you are going for the Zepplin vibe, purchase the first kit that you have listed. But understand that it is a rock kit. the bass drum is huge and more difficult to control, but it has the look! I had a 26" bass drum years ago and it really only did one thing really well and that was "boom" The second kit will fit your needs for rock as well. The shells are the same size as mine and I play rock from the harder end of classic to pop. And they work for Jazz too. I have a young 13 year old daughter who sings really well, I find myself helping her school choir and other events often. Volume is important on those types of gigs so my kit works well in that application also. If you are only going to have one kit then try to think about all the applications that might present themselves and buy a good all around kit that would fit those needs. I am finding myself more and more playing all types of music. I used to be just a rock drummer and considered myself only able to play that type of music. But in the last number of years since I have been playing out regularly again, I have been asked to play a wide varity of music including country , rock, jazz and swing the latter two with a really talented piano and bass player here, and I am having a great time learning a whole new genre of music. I haven't noticed my kit not cutting it in any style I have played yet. I just tune it differantly and change heads etc. depending on the type of music I am asked to play.

I also play a PDP kit. I have had an LX kit for a number of years now. My kit has been incrediable in every way. What type of PDP kit do you have perhapes I can help you with the issues or questions that you might have?
    Last edited by backtodrum; 12-04-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Shazane Guest

The second one gets you more toms for less money, I do not, however, know of the quality of them.

User Info Menu

i like the rock one better
    more toms doesnt ever mean better

the dimensions of the rock kit will give you a deeper tone

so i say go with the rock
    but thats my personal opinion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I also play a PDP kit. I have had an LX kit for a number of years now. My kit has been incrediable in every way. What type of PDP kit do you have perhapes I can help you with the issues or questions that you might have?
    I played a PDP X7, it's been sold to a friend who apparently had his eye on them since the day I got them . T found that the tuning range was not as big as I liked and that the toms would not as low I needed (for lack of a better term).

User Info Menu

I understand, I am not that familiar with the X7s. If that is the case purchase the Rock kit. Larger sized toms and bass, it would probably have the tuning range that you are looking for.