Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not mount Toms to bass drum?

User Info Menu

Default Why not mount Toms to bass drum?

I see a lot of guys using a stand for their rack tom. Why not just mount the tom to the bass drum? Just curious guys. Been out of the game for 30 years.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Why not mount Toms to bass drum?

For me, it doesn't get my tom where I want it. I want my high tom close and in front of me:

IMG_2350.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The "virgin" bass drum setup has become popular lately. Theory is that it allows the bass shell to be free and resonate more. Options on the subject vary, but that's the bottom line. It's really more of a personal preference.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I too like the ability to have the rack tom(s) closer and in front of the snare than having them mounted to the kick:

User Info Menu

As N2Bluz stated, because it's all about the virgin bass drum, no treble.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I like the ability to place my toms in places where when on the bass drum I couldn't.

This is so for 1 up 2 up or 3 up.

Also I really like the clean look of the virgin bass drum setups.

Function and Form

User Info Menu

Another vote here for positional. I play 1 up, 1 down, and mounting it on a stand gives me more options for positioning my rack tom where I want it. I use a Yamaha WS860A tom stand and can mount my rack tom and up to two cymbals on it.

User Info Menu

My kit came with tom mounted on the BD. Takes less room than all those extra stands that would be needed to mount the toms on. My toms are 12 x9 and 13 x 10 and have no problems whatsoever with positioning. So it mostly preference I guess but I am use to the top mount BD so why change unless I decide to get a new kit but that will never happen. I love my Pearl MCX too much to even think about buying another kit.

User Info Menu

Ergonomically, toms on the bass are far more superior.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Ergonomically, toms on the bass are far more superior.

all the best...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this!

User Info Menu

I've almost always had my toms on the kick. I have tried mounting them on stands a few times over the yrs. but it just seems right to have them on the kick. I recently got a new to me kit, and it didn't have a tom holder, but should have. So until I got a tom holder that would work on the kick, I mounted them on stands. It was ok. I use two rack toms, and have a cym. stand on ea. side of the kick anyway, so it was pretty normal. When I got the tom holder I liked that better. I've never heard any difference in the sound of my kick with out the toms on it. Others might be able to hear it.

User Info Menu

I tried mounting my 2 rack toms to cymbal stands - I could move them an inch or so closer to the hats, but I didn't like how much they moved. If I play 1 up, 1 down then clamping the rack tom directly in front of my snare is nice - but I'm fat and lazy and don't like the extra distance between the rack tom and FT. I find bass mounting is the best compromise for positioning and stability.

I like the look of virgin bass drums, but they're not for me.

User Info Menu

"I've never heard any difference in the sound of my kick with out the toms on it. Others might be able to hear it".

If you have 2 identical drum sets, 1 with the tom mounted on it and 1 without, if you can see them, you will swear there is a difference, if you can't see them, you can't tell.

User Info Menu

There may be a lot of truth in that statement Rick. I think our sense of sight can alter what our sense of hearing perceives. It would be cool to do a blind fold test. We could record the kick with the toms on and off. Not messing with the mic. Just loosen the the tom holder and pull the toms up and off of the kick. Set them aside and record again. The kick I have now is kind of virgin. The tom holder doesn't go into the shell. It goes into a bracket mounted on top. It's a Tama.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    There may be a lot of truth in that statement Rick. I think our sense of sight can alter what our sense of hearing perceives. It would be cool to do a blind fold test. We could record the kick with the toms on and off. Not messing with the mic. Just loosen the the tom holder and pull the toms up and off of the kick. Set them aside and record again. The kick I have now is kind of virgin. The tom holder doesn't go into the shell. It goes into a bracket mounted on top. It's a Tama.
    There was a similar test that I posted about several times.

BD with tom mount, BD with a isolation mount, and a BD with the tom in a stand next to the BD. Some "experts" said that they could tell which was which. A couple of guys called them on it. 3 identical sets of drums. Tuned by the same guy and played by the same guy. When the so called "experts" couldn't see the drums (your blind test) they couldn't tell 1 from the other.

So much for "expertise".
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 10-02-2018 at 05:02 AM. Reason: ====

User Info Menu

they only time i did not have them mounted to BD is when I played with Double bass...the rack for toms was in the middle. But every other set I had or have they are mounted and I think my base resonance is just fine.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    they only time i did not have them mounted to BD is when I played with Double bass...the rack for toms was in the middle. But every other set I had or have they are mounted and I think my base resonance is just fine.
    I went this way on my double bass set up too and I liked the way both bass drum sounded without the rack toms mounted on top of the shell. This was something I could only hear but I did notice less ringing from the rack toms when I went to play 16th notes on the bass pedals.

Last edited by late8; 11-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

My drums at home have virgin kicks and the drums where we practice have the toms mounted to the bass drum. I like both and really can't tell enough difference to argue either way.

User Info Menu

Because you want as many stands on the floor as possible, so that there is more for the other guys in your band to trip over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Because you want as many stands on the floor as possible, so that there is more for the other guys in your band to trip over.
    Got a laugh out of this!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

With a 22x18 bass drum, a tom mounted on the drum is usually too far away. So I mount the rack tom (one up, one down) on a stand so I can put it just where I want it. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Yeah I too have tried the rack toms off cymbal stands and hated it. Lugging all the extra stands around sucks plus I could never get the 2 up toms in a visually acceptable position. I much prefer the bass drum mounted rack toms even if I am only using 1 up. The only time I would use a cymbal/snare stand is if I had a 24" bass drum and a 9" deep rack tom.

Problem is it is so hard to find top of the line drums that come bass drum mounted. 90% of them you have to drill a hole and install it which I hate doing but needs to be done. I been so wanting a Sonor SQ1 but the idea of drilling into the bass drum is sickening, I will do it however once I get the money : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I sit farther away because I play the pedals with only the front half of my foot, so my bass drum is pushed forward. To compensate for that half a foot forward, I need stands. Kay Gee says ergonomically, toms over the kick are superior. Irrelevant as every drummer is different. The guys here who care about comfort and look might mount them off stands, or maybe not. Who is to say what looks better? Personal preference. Half the fun is setting it up how you like it. I use stands and guess what? My setup is comfortable. Shocking right?? I even installed a blanking plate. Look down upon me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    With a 22x18 bass drum, a tom mounted on the drum is usually too far away. So I mount the rack tom (one up, one down) on a stand so I can put it just where I want it. Peace and goodwill.
    I have nothing against toms being mounted on the bass drum, just going through the bass drum. That's why optional tom mounting is a good thing. I wish more drum companies would go that route without being so expensive! DW,Mapex,Taye,Sonor and probably some others have it right. I wish Pearl would make a Optimount for a base drum thats totally adjustable (depth size and lug space size and the tom mount reciever also slides fwd and backwards. That way it's universal.If they made one I'd buy it. . . . . .but they don't.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 06-19-2018 at 07:31 AM.

User Info Menu

There’s a few reasons why I’ve always liked it, and sound difference has nothing to do with it, at least from my perspective.

Out of my three kits, kick sizes are 22,23,24, the bigger you get, the harder it is for optimized tom placement. It’s just easier with a stand or rack.

I like offset toms because it’s more comfortable for me to play the ride over the kick when possible.

It looks better not having a pole or poles sticking out of the top of my kick drum.

And, the more stands you have, the bigger the foot print, the further away the guitarists have to be from you haha.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!