Thread: Buying drums at guitar center a bad idea?

User Info Menu

Default Buying drums at guitar center a bad idea?

I went to guitar center to inquire about a drum kit. It seems they only have access to certian kits from each brand. Example, the ludwig classic was only available in a certian configuration such as a 22" bass drum and 12" rack. ( at least the 4 piece). If i wanted a 16x 24 bass drum and a 14" rack that would be ordered as custom from ludwig and the price would skyrocket.
    Ludwig offers all those respective sizes but guitar center offers certain sets only.
    Is every store like this???

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying drums at guitar center a bad idea?

Pretty much every store i've been to is like that. I go to long and mcquade here in canada. The amount of different configurations and finishes from just one line of drums could fill up their whole warehouse. They usually have the more "popular" kits in stock. I've never bought drums from a music store though. Only second hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I visited a lot of mom and pop music stores and they were very limited to what they sold and usually cheap brands. I bought my kit online through LA Music out of Toronto 12 years ago. Their inventory was huge and so was their selections. They sold me the kit at 40% off with free shipping. I buy music gear online.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    I went to guitar center to inquire about a drum kit. It seems they only have access to certian kits from each brand. Example, the ludwig classic was only available in a certian configuration such as a 22" bass drum and 12" rack. ( at least the 4 piece). If i wanted a 16x 24 bass drum and a 14" rack that would be ordered as custom from ludwig and the price would skyrocket.
    Ludwig offers all those respective sizes but guitar center offers certain sets only.
    Is every store like this???
    Every store in the UK is like this.. I think that the current fashion for small sized toms is the main reason, just about every store here has a great selection - but only if you want a set with a 22" bass and 10, 12, 16 toms or a 20" bass with 10, 12, 14. or a Jungle/Breakbeats/Martini set. Its just basic economics they will only stock sets they anticipate will sell quickly.

The closest set available that I can think of to your dimensions is the Ludwig Centennial which has a 24 x 16 bass, 13 x 10 and 16 and 18 Floor Toms. I think that if you want a new set with a 14" rack tom you're screwed and the only route is special order or custom build...

User Info Menu

Crispy critters, thnaks!!
    The fixation with the 14" is just me being over bonham. Lol
    I will take a 13x9.

User Info Menu

I'd look on-line. GC has more brands and models available on their website than they do at their stores. You can always order on their website and have it ship to their local store for pick-up. Might even be free shipping that way.
    The reason is; manufacturers are distributor/territory sensitive. A local store may be limited due other stores in their area. The website is nation wide sales based. It's all about distribution and marketing.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Not sure where you are but if you call the drum center of Portsmouth they will have every size offered of every major drum manufacturer and most smaller ones as well
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

FWIW I'm old enough to have done the go to the big city and find the dealers who always had a "deal" then go up and down the street checking the others. As in "Sam Goody is sell it for ,,," "we'll beat that by.." then the internet arrived. I used online and ebay to find some good outfits that offered me good deals. I've found lately that ebay has new AI crawlers on their site so people can't message about off-ebay selling without getting banned. But I just pick up the phone call the folks (like Forks Drum shop) and asked will you sell that Starclassic for $xxxx and got my Tama's a good bit cheaper. I just got a Roland SPD-SX and stand for decent price by calling the shop and we bargained over the phone. If a store has just what you want might get a deal but they have limited ability to drop pricing unless motivated (like car dealers).

User Info Menu

I paid a visit to my local GC to buy a drum head and found that the store had eliminated the drum department and used the space to create music rooms to teach. The drums are now lined up on shelves high above the main floor with no dedicated sales person near any drum gear. Drum heads that used to be behind the counter are in a wire rack and it's a "find it yourself" type of system. Gone are the floor demo models of acoustic kits and e-kits. The store was void of any drumming and it was eerily quite. There's only two GC stores in my area (Sacramento) and there's quite a distance between both. I'm wondering if the brick and mortar stores have less stock since their online business is where most do there shopping these days?
    Last edited by late8; 08-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.

User Info Menu

The GC in my town is also a poor choice for drummers..................appears to be OK for everyone else.
    I do almost all of my business through MF, which I like even though I realize it is in the GC family.
    If I shop local it is because I find myself over in Memphis for whatever reason and I make it a point to buy something when I go to the Memphis Drum Shop.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The GC in my town is also a poor choice for drummers..................appears to be OK for everyone else.
    I do almost all of my business through MF, which I like even though I realize it is in the GC family.
    If I shop local it is because I find myself over in Memphis for whatever reason and I make it a point to buy something when I go to the Memphis Drum Shop.
    I envy you guys that are close to those iconic drum shops. I guess Bentley's (sp?) Drum Shop in Fresno (and I know you've been there Ricky) is the biggest "drum only" shop in my neck of the woods but Fresno is over 1 1/2 hours away!

User Info Menu

If for any reason you ever find yourself in Memphis, don't miss it.
    Same is true for Fork's in Nashville.
    For some people it's hard to believe two of the coolest drum shops are in Tennessee.................but there is a ton of music history in that state.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

BackStreetDrums Guest

It's expensive for a retailer to stock everything. Even for a GC. Retailers have to purchase gear (from guitar picks to Neal Peart like size kits), just as any consumer. The only difference, they get a wholesalers discount either direct from the manufacturer or distributor. Usually, the retailers pay 40%...then markup according to each distributor's MSRP (Manufacture's Suggested Retailer Price)...so it could get very expensive filling the shelves with everything, and not really an assurance everything will sell

User Info Menu

The family owned music store where I shop has a 90 day "cash only" consignment deal with most major vendors. If they can sell merchandise before the 90 day deadline to pay, they've made some profit. If the item can't sell within 90 days, inventory stock piles and they start to loose money.

User Info Menu

pleasing the masses is impossible since we all have our own wants and needs.
    That's why with my Pork Pie I went to the owner directly and he custom made my kit.
    I had originally called Guitar Center about different sizes and variations and they couldn't do anything for me.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 08-24-2017 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

My wife went to GC to buy my DTX532 kit as a (big) surprise for me for Father's day. Those kits are never discounted, so she paid full price plus tax and they were going to charge her a $70 shipping fee to have the kit shipped TO THEIR STORE! I went back to them and questioned the shipping charge which they said they might be able to waive. I also asked if they can do better on price, since I can get that price anywhere and online I can save over $100 in sales tax. They said no, so I said exactly what do you offer here? You don't have the item on display where I can try it out, you don't offer a better price, you want to charge shipping to get the item to your store, you have to charge sales tax, why should anyone buy anything here? They had no answer for that. I promptly cancelled the order and bought it from a popular online music superstore - same price, no tax, free shipping to my house.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    My wife went to GC to buy my DTX532 kit as a (big) surprise for me for Father's day. Those kits are never discounted, so she paid full price plus tax and they were going to charge her a $70 shipping fee to have the kit shipped TO THEIR STORE! I went back to them and questioned the shipping charge which they said they might be able to waive. I also asked if they can do better on price, since I can get that price anywhere and online I can save over $100 in sales tax. They said no, so I said exactly what do you offer here? You don't have the item on display where I can try it out, you don't offer a better price, you want to charge shipping to get the item to your store, you have to charge sales tax, why should anyone buy anything here? They had no answer for that. I promptly cancelled the order and bought it from a popular online music superstore - same price, no tax, free shipping to my house.
    Good for you. Hope you like the Ekit. I've been looking at them as well.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I said exactly what do you offer here? You don't have the item on display where I can try it out, you don't offer a better price, you want to charge shipping to get the item to your store, you have to charge sales tax, why should anyone buy anything here? They had no answer for that. I promptly cancelled the order and bought it from a popular online music superstore - same price, no tax, free shipping to my house.
    HAHAHA !
    One would think that the first thing a floor sales clerk would be taught is the answer to that exact question................I'm sure it comes up often.
    Don't you love a story with a happy ending ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    If for any reason you ever find yourself in Memphis, don't miss it.
    Same is true for Fork's in Nashville.
    For some people it's hard to believe two of the coolest drum shops are in Tennessee.................but there is a ton of music history in that state.
    they did a cool deal for me on phone and a YouTube drummer I follow.. Dude Harry Miree loves them too but he's a pro based in Nashville.

User Info Menu

The sales tax thing is a state-by-state issue which the retailer really has no control over. If the have a store in your state, OR a tax collection agreement with your state, they are required to submit tax on the sale (whether they collect it or not). That's a huge price advantage (7%+) for out-of-state business that ship nationwide. Eventually, and I predict soon, most states will establish tax collection policies for out-of-state retailers. Until the age of internet, it wasn't really an issue. Most interstate sales were manufacturer-to-retailer and thus tax exempt.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham