Thread: Cymbol set up ? Opinions ???

User Info Menu

Default Cymbol set up ? Opinions ???

Hey guys, quick question although i know its preference. Looking for what is common.
    First off, i am right handed so i play conventional.
    I am using a 4 piece. Bass drum, rack tom, snare, and floor.
    I am thinking of getting a 20" ride, an 18" crash and a 16" crash. I play rock.
    The ride will go on my right ( just left of floor tom). My question is which crash would you place on left of rack tom( by hi hat) and which crash over floor?
    Is it more common to have the 18" crash by the hi hat or the 16"?

Or this : as if im sitting on my kit..
    16" crash to the left.
    18" crash to the right.
    20" ride to far right,,
    Last edited by Lexer; 08-12-2017 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbol set up ? Opinions ???

My cymbals get bigger from left to right---13" hats, 16", 18" crashes, 20" ride---if I use a china it goes above and to the left of the ride.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

I don't mean to keep posting my setup, but I have a 16" crash on the left, 18" on the right, and another 16" to the right of the 18" not shown in the pic. Ride is tucked in nicely in a comfortable spot. Don't forget about hihats!
    IMG_2350.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Flybynight
    I like your set up buddy. What size rack tom is that ( 13x9) ?
    I would love a 13x10 but ludwig doesnt offer that in any of ita sets.
    How do you like sabian cymbols?

User Info Menu

It really depends on your preference. Some drummers have all 18" cymbals, some have all 16" cymbals. I have mixed and tend to like the shorter-sustaining crashes on the left.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I don't mean to keep posting my setup, but I have a 16" crash on the left, 18" on the right, and another 16" to the right of the 18" not shown in the pic. Ride is tucked in nicely in a comfortable spot. Don't forget about hihats!
    IMG_2350.jpg
    That's the same arrangement I prefer as well. Sometimes I use a 14" & 16" crash, sometimes 16" & 18". Depends on the venue. I like your idea of having 2 crashes over the floor tom...I think I'll try having the 14" on the left and a 16" & 18" over the floor toms.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

mine left to right goes like this

14hats, 17crash, 22ride, 19crash, 18crash
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I change my set up often and typically a shorter sustaining cymbal is to my left but it depends on my mood of the day. I sometimes swap out the 16" and 18" positions just to give me variety.

User Info Menu

For me I always kinda go smallest to biggest left to right.

One kit is 16 on left 18 on right and 20" ride on right.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Must be an illusion flybynight but I do not see how that splash on the left is not in the way of the hats. J
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    Flybynight
    I like your set up buddy. What size rack tom is that ( 13x9) ?
    I would love a 13x10 but ludwig doesnt offer that in any of ita sets.
    How do you like sabian cymbols?
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. It's actually a 12x8. I've tried the 13" up there and it's just too big for me. I can't really get it to the height I want. The first floor tom is actually a 13" rack tom. But I have it tuned and muffled as a floor tom.

I started with pretty crappy planet z cymbals and a b8 crash. I bought the HH raw bell dry ride used. Excellent sounding bell and lots of stick definition. Super thick cymbal. I'm using 8 and 10" Wuhan splashes, and the Sabian crashes are a 16" AAX recording crash and an 18" AAX Xplosion crash, which is my favourite crash cymbal. The two sound beautiful together. The two pitches are perfect. Not too far apart, but not too close. Not pictured is the 16" AAX Xplosion crash. I now have it to the right of the 18". Higher in pitch than the others.
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 08-14-2017 at 07:32 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Must be an illusion flybynight but I do not see how that splash on the left is not in the way of the hats. J
    The pic is a little misleading. The mount is closer to the rack tom so I would have to go out of my way to hit it by accident. The hihats sit in between the cam and the splash. Lots of room. As for the crash, I positioned it so it misses the wingnut on the splash by a few centimetres.

-Mike

User Info Menu

mines like this ...i try to have the crashes parallel

User Info Menu

^Yeah I also like matching/parallel crashes.

User Info Menu

In my limited experience I agree with Drummer on shorter sustaining crashes to my left thats exactly what I did with mine
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post

mines like this ...i try to have the crashes parallel
    WOW thats a clean looking RC bud..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    In my limited experience I agree with Drummer on shorter sustaining crashes to my left thats exactly what I did with mine
    I just swapped out some heads and realized I defaulted back to having the shorter sustaining cymbal to the left. It must be by the force of habit.

User Info Menu

love those K's! ^^