Thread: Tama Superstar ID and opinion

User Info Menu

Default Tama Superstar ID and opinion

So I found this Tama set at a store I randomly decided to stop by over the weekend. It's for my son, who's 8 and pretty good
    He currently has a Percussion Plus set, Evans G2 heads (new) Pork Pie Li'l squealer snare and a about 2 "decent" cymbals, the others are ZBT and percussion plus junk. He also has a DW-5000 kick pedal (single chain)

I'm a guitar player and I"m looking to upgrade his kit but I don't know very much about the older drum world at all.

I've gathered that they are Tama Superstars from 79~86. Birch. Concert toms. (are those good or bad?)The floor tom they took the bottom ring off but they have those parts. There are some stands so some may be better than what he has.

Any thoughts on this kit if it would be a decent upgrade and what would you think is a good price for these?

thanks!
    here's a little sound clip of him and I jamming on some foo fighters.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-36429101/my-hero

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Superstar ID and opinion

A few more pictures

thanks!

User Info Menu

Good quality drums. However, my personal opinion; unless they're like $100, I'd hold out for a modern set with bottom heads. He needs to be able to learn how to tune a regular kit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would pass on that set - quite frankly the concert toms would put me off. Its very difficult to judge the dimensions of the drums, its probably camera lens effect - but those toms look pretty deep. I have an old Pearl Forum beater kit that has deep 'power toms' and although its a well made starter kit the deep toms mounted on top of the kit are a pain.

As your son is 8 years old I'd recommend looking for a 'fusion' sized set with a 20" bass drum and toms that are STANDARD DEPTHS - pass on anything with deep toms (or concert toms).

User Info Menu

thanks guys, I think I'll pass on this set. I asked him what set he wanted and he replied:

Ludwig Maple Classic 5 piece in natural finish with zildjian A and K cymbals. lol, guess I need to start saving.