Thread: dinner or a drink with a famous drummer

User Info Menu

Default dinner or a drink with a famous drummer

There's been all kinds of threads about meeting and /or taking lessons from celebrity drummers. Let's try something a little different. Tell us who you'd (if given the chance) take a drink or a meal with. This has nothing to do with perceptions of greatness in the drumming world.

I'll start. Definitely Charlie Watts. He just seems so non -starrish, considering his position. I could well imagine quaffing a few pints and a few laughs with old Charlie. Being in a world wide rock band for over 50 years, I can just imagine the stories he'd have to tell.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Default Re: dinner or a drink with a famous drummer

Dave Grohl.

User Info Menu

I'd like a drink with Matt Garstka

User Info Menu

everybody i want to meet stopped drinking dinner is too formal
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Jim Chapin. I could sit an listen to this guy talk all night.

User Info Menu

When I was a roadie, I had (backstage) dinners and drinks with many drummers................in fact one was a formal sit-down Thanksgiving dinner with Karen Carpenter (and the other 40 crew and band members -- including another drummer, Cubby O'Brian) in Macon, Georgia, 1973.
    Since, I never got to choose the drummer I ate with, I'd like a drink with Paice and/or Bruford.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Mike Portnoy. All the bands he has been in and people he has worked with, I would think he would have a ton of stories!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Me it would be Neil Peart but unfortunatly he does not drink so it would have to be green tea or decaf cofee. He is very health conscious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Mike Portnoy. All the bands he has been in and people he has worked with, I would think he would have a ton of stories!
    He's an awesome down to earth guy. Every time I've chatted with him he's very down to earth.
    I would have choose him also but I've met him and chatted with him so many times already he knew me by name which felt unbelievably nerdy awesome~!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    He's an awesome down to earth guy. Every time I've chatted with him he's very down to earth.
    I would have choose him also but I've met him and chatted with him so many times already he knew me by name which felt unbelievably nerdy awesome~!
    Holy cow, that's sweet! Great to know that he is a good guy.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I went to the "Zora" festival in Ft. Pierce, FL to see Joe Sample and Steve Gadd was playing drums. I used to be in a musical,duo with a guitar player named Pete Carr. Pete has played on many famous recordings and was in the band with Steve backing up Simon & Garfunkle on the 1980 Central Park concert . The festival was a outside even, so I went round to the side of the stage and Steve was just standing around there by himself and I went up and introduced myself and we chatted for awhile and talked about our mutual friend Pete, and about my recording studio, general stuff. I have to say he was a natural, friendly, down to earth guy. I got a pic made of us but my camera had run out of room and didn't come out . Darn !!!
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

None of the drummers playing today interest me in the slightest except for Ms Davikah. Dinner and drinks are out, but a couple of hours conversation would be fine. We have exchanged notes a couple of times on you tube. In this video, she matches Pridgen, just about note for note.

YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I'd like to smoke some reefers with Gene Krupa at the Savoy Ballroom.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes