Thread: Trick Floor tom to Bass Drum conversion Kit

User Info Menu

Default Trick Floor tom to Bass Drum conversion Kit

Has anyone one used this Trick conversion kit before?

With the adition of my timbales I want to convert my 16" floor tom into a bass drum so my left side of the kit is more higher pitch, funky sounding. This kit seems to look the my best bet. It is designed to go through the lugs for great stability and the add on legs are a 10.5mm which is what the PDP floor tom uses.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Or have you tried something else?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trick Floor tom to Bass Drum conversion Kit

Just speculating here but if I were to convert a 16" floor tom as a bass drum, I'd opt to have it tuned as low as I could without the batter flopping around. With that being said, it looks as though the adapter for the foot pedal would need to be torqued down pretty tight in order to absorb the impact of the beater and to keep the drum stable. As an unwanted consequence, the lugs that hold the foot plate to the hoop could create tuning issues if the plate were to loosen up during play. I had this issue to some degree with the Pearl I.S.S mounts which also uses the hoop as a mounting platform.

Pearl I.S.S. mount:

User Info Menu

I ordered an Evens EMAD for the head. Which should give it a nice thick tone.

Thinking maybe get some plastic spacers to fill in gap and space on the tension rod?
    Guess once I get it I will find out!
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 08-17-2017 at 11:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I ordered an Evens EMAD for the head. Which should give it a nice thick tone.

Thinking maybe get some plastic spacers to fill in gap and space on the tension rod?
    Guess once I get it I will find out!
    That will be the true test for sure. Bozzio say's he specifically uses the DW bass drum cradle even though he can use the bass drum spurs on his kicks. He found that the shell has more freedom to resonate if it sits on the cradle spurs.

Pearl has one that specific to a 16" bass drum conversion: Pearl JG16 16" Floor Tom to Bass Drum Conversion and it looks similar to the bass drum lift Bozzio's using on the far right bass drum in the above pic. The JG 16 can be used either with an I.S.S. mount or the Pearl Optimount. I know you hate everything Pearl but I'd thought I'd put it out there for you.

User Info Menu

funny thing I wanted to use the DW to keep the kit all PDP/DW but... I didn't feel it would "secure" the floor tom enough since it floats from the look of it. And I tend to be a heavier hitter and I bury the beater in style. So I feared the thing falling off lol

User Info Menu

I'm with Rich on this. I can highly recommend the Pearl JG16 conversion kit. I use that on my home made jungle kit, it's fantastic. I mounted a 7/8" Pearl tom bracket right on my shell, BUT, I'd recommend going with an optimount. It will afford you front-to-back adjustability and wound interfere with the hoop or tuning. The JG16 also provides some up-and-down adjustability. That is very important.....because not every pedal is the same dimension from floor to the clamp. Risers like the Dixon and the one you're looking at actually rest on the floor. The "lip" that your pedal clamps to is then at a fixed height, which probably won't be exactly right for your pedal. As a result, your pedal base won't rest flat on the floor. The JG16 allows the "lip" to be adjusted up and down on the riser tube to the proper height from the floor, AND, the end of the riser tube can rest on the floor for stability. When adjusted properly, its extremely stable and allows for perfect pedal and beater placement.

IMG_0182.jpg

Hope that makes sense? I've been down this road before, LOL. I'm actually considering installing a JG16 on my 18" Bop bass drum...just because it works way better than hooking the pedal directly to the hoop.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 08-17-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Here's the JG 16" floor tom conversion with the Pearl OptiMount system. It looks more stable than using the I.S.S mount in my opinion:

User Info Menu

My only complaint with the JG16 kit is there are no spikes on the ends of the spurs. It just has rubber tips like floor tom feet. If I have them adjusted too wide, they don't have a direct enough angle to the floor and the drum tends to slide forward as I play it. Once I figured out what was going on, I started adjusting them properly and the issue went away. I also put a strip of Velcro hooks on the bottom of my pedal as added insurance.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I used a similar mounting technique when I mounted a 22" kick to the rack:

User Info Menu

I bought one of those DW monstrosities a couple of years ago (second-hand, off Ebay --- paid about 1/2 the price of a new one).
    If there is such a thing as 'over-adjustability', this would be a prime candidate. I tinkered and tinkered with it... difficult enough just to get symmetry, yet alone a setting with which I was satisfied. Wound up never using it, and so it remains in the hardware boneyard that is my basement.

Then I found a woman who makes these wooden "kick stands" and sells them on Etsy. Ordered one, and it's been working out just fine with my LP Street Can.

kickstand1.JPG

kickstand.jpg
    Last edited by JoePasko; 09-10-2017 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I used a similar mounting technique when I mounted a 22" kick to the rack:

Wow... that's something I don't see every day. Cool idea.

User Info Menu

I've been very happy with the Trick mount setup.
    It's very sturdy... hasn't effected the sound in my opinion.
    Feet have spurs and it's very sturdy

User Info Menu

I've been very happy with the Trick mount setup.
    It's very sturdy... hasn't effected the sound in my opinion.
    Feet have spurs and it's very sturdy
    Pics?

User Info Menu

Problem is I was using photobucket and they no longer allow 3rd party..
    And for some reason my computer won't allow me to upload directly to forum.
    So what photo hosting is still sharing?

User Info Menu

Problem is I was using photobucket and they no longer allow 3rd party..
    And for some reason my computer won't allow me to upload directly to forum.
    So what photo hosting is still sharing?
    Flikr...I think Bish uses them to post pics here. I use Flikr but I only have the basic free option.