Thread: One year

User Info Menu

Default One year

I just realized that my son and my first lesson was a little over a year ago (August 14th), man has the time flown by. We have each gotten better (him a lot, me a little) and are both still loving this journey. We are both down on the kit almost every day, and while I know I have become better, I am still in awe of how far I have to go before I would actually consider myself a "drummer". I can play 3-4 songs fairly well and usually get the lesson down each week, but then I watch a "real" drummer on the kit and realize how far the gap is between what I am doing and what they are. I'm completely cool with it, I knew when I started that I would likely progress slowly as I am older than most beginners. I just hope someday to be able to get behind the kit and feel like I am in control of it, if you know what I mean. I know the only thing that will get me there is time and practice, I plan on putting in both.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: One year

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    I just hope someday to be able to get behind the kit and feel like I am in control of it, if you know what I mean. I know the only thing that will get me there is time and practice, I plan on putting in both.
    There is no substitute for putting I'm the time...................period.
    True for any instrument.
    With your acceptance of that fact and your positive attitude toward doing it, you will get there.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Congrats and glad you are keeping track of your progress.

Keep us updated!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I just realized that my son and my first lesson was a little over a year ago (August 14th), man has the time flown by. We have each gotten better (him a lot, me a little) and are both still loving this journey. We are both down on the kit almost every day, and while I know I have become better, I am still in awe of how far I have to go before I would actually consider myself a "drummer". I can play 3-4 songs fairly well and usually get the lesson down each week, but then I watch a "real" drummer on the kit and realize how far the gap is between what I am doing and what they are. I'm completely cool with it, I knew when I started that I would likely progress slowly as I am older than most beginners. I just hope someday to be able to get behind the kit and feel like I am in control of it, if you know what I mean. I know the only thing that will get me there is time and practice, I plan on putting in both.
    I've just turned 56 and have been playing about 6 weeks now...i should go for lessons but it's finding someone in my town....i also play Bass and Acoustic guitar and have been a Frontman/Vocalist for several local Bands...but fancied a change and the Drums seemed so appealing...i tend to just practice basic grooves trying to get some different Kick drum grooves going....don't think i'll ever be technically good but hoping to be a good tight Drummer....as personally i like a good groove and feel over technical style....i suppose my age i appreciate old school style to the more modern extreme techniques....good luck with your Drumming mate

User Info Menu

...I am still in awe of how far I have to go before I would actually consider myself a "drummer". I can play 3-4 songs fairly well and usually get the lesson down each week, but then I watch a "real" drummer on the kit and realize how far the gap is between what I am doing and what they are.
    Dude, you're a drummer! If you play the drums, you're a drummer! Don't be too hard on yourself. Give you're self some time to learn and just sit back and enjoy the journey.

I know the only thing that will get me there is time and practice, I plan on putting in both.
    There you go!

User Info Menu

Congrats on the one year milestone OldeEnglish! Consider yourself a drummer...No "if, ands or buts".

User Info Menu

Great work putting in the effort!

User Info Menu

That's awesome I'm also a newbie and I've been at it less that a year maybe 9 months worth of lessons. I am working on learning Hotel California right now (don't laugh) it's kicking my butt. I've gotten through about 70% of it playing it as transcribed. I expect to finish it off this week. The more experienced players would probably laugh at this but for a newbie like me this song has been a challenge. I love and appreciate the drums even more now it's been an interesting first year of drumming