Thread: Tama Imperialstar or Yamaha Stage Custom

User Info Menu

Default Tama Imperialstar or Yamaha Stage Custom

New member so be gentle with me.

I'm after some advice.

I am looking at upgrading my drums. I currently have my son's old mapex tornado kit but have joined a and and am about to start a few gigs so need more sturdy stuff.

The problem, as ever, is budget.

I have narrowed my options down to two second hand kits that are in my price range:
    Tama imperialstar with HCS cymbals or a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau with Zildjian ZBTs.

I know I'll need to work on the cymbals (hence the tight budget for kit) but what are your thoughts on the kits?

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama Imperialstar or Yamaha Stage Custom

Welcome to Drum Chat.

To answer your question, a resounding YES!!

However, you must take into account the differences in wood material. I believe TAMAs are poplar and Yamaha is birch.

For my money I'd go Yamaha and get birch.

If I go TAMA and birch, the Silverstar line would be more of an equal comparison to the Yamaha and both are birch.

But me, I went another level up and went with TAMA Starclassic series and a birch/bubinga wood combination. A lot more money, however.

I also have a Yamaha Oak custom which is an entirely different wood altogether.

I love the way it sounds and am sort of preferring it over my TAMA kits, at the moment. (Wait until the rest of the forum reads that - coming from me) lol

So you need to take into account what you are getting for the money you are spending and is it a kit you will likely want to keep for an extended period of time.

In your situation I (In My Own Opinion) think you will like the Yamaha.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thank Bish, I'm definitely leaning towards the Yamaha but it's great to get another opinion.

User Info Menu

I'd also go with the Yamaha set. What finish is on them?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Hi Slinky,

It has a Matt black oak finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DerbyRog View Post
    Thank Bish, I'm definitely leaning towards the Yamaha but it's great to get another opinion.

You're welcome.

Plus, please note you won't find a more knowledgeable welcoming bunch than what you will find here. Feel free to continue to ask questions. They will get answered respectfully.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Just a quick additional question about cymbals.

I've been offered some 10ish year old Sabian Pro cymbals for well under £100. 14"hats 16" crash and 20" ride.

I've played B8 pros and liked the ride sound in particular but never played just Pro series. Are that basically the same ?
    Any comments on these cymbals?

User Info Menu

I believe the Pro range are slightly better than the B8 Pro range (I have a Pro 20" Ride and 14" Rock Hats) although there isn't much difference between the two.

If you decide to buy the Yamaha SCs, then the Sabian Pro ride and crash are definitely better than the ZBT versions. I'm not so sure about the hats - the Sabian Pro hats are rather heavy - I'd prefer ZBT hats over the Sabian Pro versions (I'm gonna get slated for that!)

Although Sabian Pro cymbals are entry level, they are good entry level cymbals - and as they are being sold so cheap I would snap them up, less than $100 for a set is a good deal.

User Info Menu

Just a quick additional question about cymbals.

I've been offered some 10ish year old Sabian Pro cymbals for well under £100. 14"hats 16" crash and 20" ride.

I've played B8 pros and liked the ride sound in particular but never played just Pro series. Are that basically the same ?
    Any comments on these cymbals?
    There are two criteria that I base a cymbal purchase on. Sound and durability and in that order. You should always hear a cymbal before you buy it. I haven't played either cymbal series you mentioned but still my ears will hear the slightly different than you. I may like them you may not. You need to be the judge.

As for durability, if you are a power basher (of some flavor) then expect to break a lot of cymbals. If you play for dynamics and feel, you should be able to have any cymbal serve you well for many years.

Bottom line is you need to hear them. That is the only true way to successfully purchase cymbals.

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I believe the Pro range are slightly better than the B8 Pro range (I have a Pro 20" Ride and 14" Rock Hats) although there isn't much difference between the two.

If you decide to buy the Yamaha SCs, then the Sabian Pro ride and crash are definitely better than the ZBT versions. I'm not so sure about the hats - the Sabian Pro hats are rather heavy - I'd prefer ZBT hats over the Sabian Pro versions (I'm gonna get slated for that!)

Although Sabian Pro cymbals are entry level, they are good entry level cymbals - and as they are being sold so cheap I would snap them up, less than $100 for a set is a good deal.
    Hey CC, if you notice his post and location, he's not talking USD. I think it's British pounds which would be roughly $130.00 USD, if my internet information is correct. Still by US standards that is a very reasonably priced set of cymbals. If they are used, I'd be checking for cracks (they can be difficult to detect) and massive wear and tear.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys.

I'm going to try out the cymbals next week to hear them. Just wanted to get opinion before I made any arrangement so I wasn't wasting my time.

Current dollar price would be $105 so still sounds like they would be good deal to start me off.

I have Paiste PST3s at the moment and they just sound awful to me so anything will be an improvement!

User Info Menu

Bish is right - you really need to hear the cymbals first before considering buying them. Although I like the Sabian Pro series - I also like ZBT hats (and the PST3 Ride!) so most people wouldn't share my opinion when it comes to cymbals.

I didn't notice you're from Derby - £100 is a realistic price for the Sabians

User Info Menu

Picked up the Yamaha kit today!
    Needs a bit of a clean up and new heads but otherwise it's fantastic!!

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Picked up the Yamaha kit today!
    Needs a bit of a clean up and new heads but otherwise it's fantastic!!

Thanks guys
    Congratulations! Enjoy.

Pictures or it didn't happen. lol
    Signature here