Thread: Djembe in music Class

User Info Menu

Wink Djembe in music Class

In my music class at school we are doing about calypso beats [123][123][12] and we are using Djembes, now ive never ever played one of these before can any of you give me any tips on how to play it better than everyone else in my class?

User Info Menu

Cool Djembe in music class

The way I would play the beat you've displayed would be to strike the djembe in the center of the head on the 1 (producing a deep "boom") and play the other note or notes on the rim (as you would play bongos). However, check this link at DrumBum to get other ideas!

http://drumbum.com/lessons/drum-less...nt/view/43/62/

Good luck, Andy!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks, just in time have a music lesson tommorro and I was wondering if any1 was going to reply, thanks for the tips.

oh BTW how do you pronounce Djembe could anyone give me a Phonetic (I think thats how you spell it) spelling???
    Last edited by Andy_TAMA; 12-11-2007 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

it's pronounced jem-bay. Don't know if my Aussie accent effects that though.

also if you push down on the skin with one hand and strike it on the rim with the other hand you will get a "pop" sound.

User Info Menu

Shouldn't affect it at all, mate! Welcome aboard--sounds like you're a hand drummer too, holycow77!

And since the djembe head is a bit looser overall than the heads on bongos and congas, the effect is going to be more dramatic!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

you could reverse that too, and "pop" the outside with a closed hand on one, and a dull boom in the center for 2 and 3... it would sound cool too... mix it up a bit and really impress them! and jem-bay it is... with my american accent as well...
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Hey bongo bro... I mainly play my kit, but I also have a pair of congas, a djembe and some other little bits and pieces for when I'm feeling a bit tribal.

I am yet to work out how to fit the drumkit and congas into my little car at the same time so I can do both which would be nice.

User Info Menu

easy... get a van
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    Hey bongo bro... I mainly play my kit, but I also have a pair of congas, a djembe and some other little bits and pieces for when I'm feeling a bit tribal.

I am yet to work out how to fit the drumkit and congas into my little car at the same time so I can do both which would be nice.
    If you have a hatchback (like a Ford Focus or a Holden...can't think of the model, but the model comparable to the Focus--Calibra, is it?), you should be able to do it...you can put the congas in the front seat and belt 'em in...I've done that myself, mate! Looks weird but it works...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, I just thought you would like to know I got my results today and a got an A* (which is an A+ in old language) =]

User Info Menu

Aw-RIGHT!!!

Glad we could help ya!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Default I want to learn the bass guitar.

I want to learn the bass guitar. Should I first get guitar lessons, or just get bass guitar lessons? Because my friend said she would learn it and she asked me if she should get guitar lessons first. She said that she should learn guitar and then bass guitar lessons.But I think she should just get bass guitar lessons instead of getting both. Please answer me. Thank you very much in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Djembe in music Class

The next beat after the tumbao I am going to learn is the Calypso but I am learning it on the Congas. I assume you can play the same beats on different hand drums, correct?
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want to learn the bass guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by sofia712 View Post
    I want to learn the bass guitar. Should I first get guitar lessons, or just get bass guitar lessons? Because my friend said she would learn it and she asked me if she should get guitar lessons first. She said that she should learn guitar and then bass guitar lessons.But I think she should just get bass guitar lessons instead of getting both. Please answer me. Thank you very much in advance.
    I would learn which ever one I wanted to learn most. Some people also may or may not be able to handle both as well. I would consider these before going any further.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

Default Re: Djembe in music Class

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    The next beat after the tumbao I am going to learn is the Calypso but I am learning it on the Congas. I assume you can play the same beats on different hand drums, correct?
    For the most part, the stuff you play on the congas can be played on the djembe, ashiko, etc. They will sound different and have different feels ofcourse, but I do it all the time. Whatever is handy or whatever drum I am in the mood for is the lucky one for the session

Tumbao is an awesome foundational rhythm. There are lots of variations within just that rhythm that can make it very interesting. For a challenge, try playing all the strokes with a single hand! It works wonders for speeding up transitions between strokes (especially going from toe to a slap).

Some variations I like to throw in to make it more interesting are:

Basic: HTSTHTOO
    Variation: HTSBBDOO (D - drop - kind of like a combined heel and toe)
    Variation: HTSTHToooo (turn the 2 8th notes into 4 16th notes)
    Variation: HTSTHTooooooTSTHTOO (turn 2 8th notes int 4 16th notes as before, but then replace the next measures first 8th note with 2 16ths)

It is also fun to tap out the clave rhythm with your foot:

Code:
    HTSTHTOOHTSTHTOO
    X--X--X---X-X---
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb