Thread: Landed the opening act gig

User Info Menu

Default Landed the opening act gig

I finally got the confirmation last week. My band will be opening for Wayne "The Train" Hancock on his tour stop in Lincoln on September 29th. It took a long time to confirm. Apparently, his booking agent took some persuading to approve us, LOL. We'll be doing a 1hr set, and Charlie Burton (a local legend) will be performing a 1hr set as well.
    If you're into 50's Rockabilly and Juke Joint Country type music, you probably know who Wayne Hancock is. If you're not into that style, then you've probably never heard of him before. I think our band will be a good fit, and the people willing to pay the $20 cover charge to hear him will most likely appreciate my band's style. The best part is, we get in for free, play for an hour, then be able to enjoy the rest of the show. Hopefully he's an approachable guy and will hang out in the bar and not just hide out in his tour bus. Heck, maybe I'll be able to get his autograph.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Landed the opening act gig

Brian this is way too cool. Congrats on the great gig. Hopefully you'll end up with some pics to share. Good luck and don't screw it up hehe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Brian this is way too cool. Congrats on the great gig. Hopefully you'll end up with some pics to share. Good luck and don't screw it up hehe.
    Thanks!
    How much would you charge me to drive up here and play drums for the gig?

Honestly, I'm not that nervous. Mostly because I think our style is going to fit right in with the musical taste of the crowd. We always seem to play well when the crowd is into it. I do, however, wonder how the turnout will be. It's at 8pm on a Friday night, in downtown Lincoln, on "O" Street......about 10 blocks away from Memorial stadium. And that's the ONE Friday night HOME game that the Huskers play. And the game starts at 7pm. I'm afraid the place will be empty. Hopefully, with 96,000 fans in downtown Lincoln that night, SOMEONE will walk in the door....in spite of the $20 cover.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow. Just noticed this is a double posted thread. Not sure how that happened.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Congrats! You're going to have so much fun!

User Info Menu

That sounds like a great lineup. I know you're concerned about the football game, but I wouldn't sweat it. People are going to come to your show . No matter if it's 1 or 100,000 give them your best and have fun!!

User Info Menu

Way to go, N2B..................congratulations and have fun.
    We recently had to go through the same approval process from headliner's management......................don't sweat it..................it's routine.
    All that matters is you got the gig.
    During football season, I avoid Saturday gigs -- this just HAD to be that one Friday, huh ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Way to go Brian, congrats!!