Thread: Labor Day Weekend Gigs

User Info Menu

Default Labor Day Weekend Gigs

As of about 2 weeks ago, my band was booked for 3 gigs over the Labor Day weekend, Friday and Saturday Nights and Sunday afternoon. Friday was a private party, Saturday was a bar gig and Sunday as a street fair. The first 2 were paid and the street fair we agreed to do for free because it benefited a good cause and the promoter has connections we hope to exploit. Well the party, which was moved to Friday to accommodate us, was cancelled, and then we were informed by the bar owner he had double booked the night and had to cancel us. We quickly called the party hosts to see if Saturday would work better for them, and it looked good for a while, but then they just cancelled the party all together. So we were down to one outside gig, and the weather forecast was not good. Fortunately a PA and drum kit were provided and we were only scheduled to play an hour, so it was an easy gig.
    Then the promoter tells us one of the bands cancelled and asked if we could cover their slot as well. We agreed and arrived to play at 1 PM rather than 2:30. Turns out that we were the only band out of 3 who didn't cancel. It rained right up until we were supposed to go on, so we decided with the promoter to give it another 30 minutes to dry out and started about 1:30. After a few issues with GFCIs tripping, we started our set. The sound crew did a good job and I could hear everything pretty well in the hot spot monitor. As the sky cleared more people gathered in front of us and there were a few spirited (or full of spirits) dancers. After about a dozen songs the promoter told us to take a break and gave us each a $20 out of his own pocket to get a bite to eat! After the break we played the rest of the set and we had a decent crowd and went over well. The promoter thanked us profusely personally and over the PA.
    A few of us stayed and jammed on 5-6 more songs with the promoter who plays guitar and sings. He and the sound crew were very complimentary and he posted a nice comment on our Facebook page which we can refer to when pitching the band to new venues.
    All in all it turned out to be a great gig and hopefully will lead to many more now that we've made a good first impression, not only musically, but more importantly professionally and personally.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Labor Day Weekend Gigs

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    we were informed by the bar owner he had double booked the night and had to cancel us.
    On one occasion two years ago, we were told the same thing................I found out the club manager simply found a cheaper band; since then I'm always suspicious about double-booking.................in addition to realizing somebody doesn't know how to keep a calendar.

I'm glad to hear that your street fair gig went well.................sounds like it was a fun day.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Nice one

User Info Menu

Great read on the Labor Day gigs nub! Thanks for sharing. Lunch provided by the promoter was classy move.