Thread: Problem with an Alesis DM5 set

Gary Garland Guest

Default Problem with an Alesis DM5 set

Hi all. This is my first post and am really hoping someone can help out.
    I have had this set for about 8 years. I received them new as a gift and added two cymbals and one extra tom. They been used in church their entire life. Now to the problem.
    Recently right in the middle of a song three of the triggers changed sounds. I have reset them to the previous sound then stored the sound and the set. All is good until I power down the module. It then reverts back to the weird sounds.
    I have tried resetting to the original factory set but nothing happens. What is really strange is that all 21 sets have weird sounds on those three triggers.
    Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how to fix it?
    Last edited by Gary Garland; 05-25-2016 at 08:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problem with an Alesis DM5 set

1. Reinitialize by powering up while holding Voice and Output.
    2. Check the power supply. If you are using the wrong power supply, it may look like it's working but not have audio. The Alesis power supply is AC output, if you are using a DC output adapter it will not function correctly.

Gary Garland Guest

Late8,
    Thank you for your reply.
    1. I reinitialized. I actually did it more than once. There was no change.
    2. I am using the same power supply that I have used since receiving the set as a gift about 8 years ago. It is the factory supplied power supply plugged into a power conditioner.

The problem started mid-song. No changes in power supply. No changes in sets. Not even a change in drum sticks.

Gary Garland Guest

This is an update. A friend discovered that the internal button style battery was only 0.5 volts. It is a 3 volt battery so it has lost most of it's power. We are replacing the battery with a new one. I hope that doesn't cause the brain to loose all it's memory. According to the manual the original settings are all stored in ROM memory so that should be permanent storage. Once the battery is replaced and the brain reconnected to the triggers, I'll let you know if that fixed the problem or not.
    If any one has other comments or ideas, I am all ears .... or in this case - eyes - I guess ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Garland View Post
    Late8,
    Thank you for your reply.
    1. I reinitialized. I actually did it more than once. There was no change.
    2. I am using the same power supply that I have used since receiving the set as a gift about 8 years ago. It is the factory supplied power supply plugged into a power conditioner.

The problem started mid-song. No changes in power supply. No changes in sets. Not even a change in drum sticks.
    You're welcome Gary. Have you tried this?

Or look into this too. You may have a corrupt file or need an update?

Last edited by late8; 05-27-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Gary Garland Guest

Let me preface this post by saying that I don't advocate doing your own repair work in lieu of sending it to an authorized dealer repair shop. Now having said that, a friend and his wife who are very good with electronics looked at my DM5 module and determined (as I said above) that the internal battery was down to 0.5 volts as opposed to the 3 volts that it is rated for. So, they removed the battery (which is soldered in), installed a battery holder so it can be changed easier in the future, and replaced the battery. This seems to have fixed the problem. We will do some more testing but right now it is holding it's programming. If any thing changes, I'll post an update.
    I also have an Alesis SR-18 which has quit working that I am hoping will have the same solution. They are going to look at it next.

User Info Menu

Let me preface this post by saying that I don't advocate doing your own repair work in lieu of sending it to an authorized dealer repair shop. Now having said that, a friend and his wife who are very good with electronics looked at my DM5 module and determined (as I said above) that the internal battery was down to 0.5 volts as opposed to the 3 volts that it is rated for. So, they removed the battery (which is soldered in), installed a battery holder so it can be changed easier in the future, and replaced the battery. This seems to have fixed the problem. We will do some more testing but right now it is holding it's programming. If any thing changes, I'll post an update.
    I also have an Alesis SR-18 which has quit working that I am hoping will have the same solution. They are going to look at it next.
    Low voltage...

User Info Menu

It is me again .... My last post stated that replacing the battery appeared to have solved the problem. I was premature in this statement. The set is still having the same problem. late8 suggested, via the trouble shooting page from the manual, a few different possibilities. I have checked all of those except the program version. Can anyone tell me how to update the version if it does need updating? Does anyone have the contact information for an authorized repair company?
    BTW - changing the battery in the SR-18 did not fix it either. It does not respond at all to any of the inputs.

User Info Menu

It is me again .... My last post stated that replacing the battery appeared to have solved the problem. I was premature in this statement. The set is still having the same problem. late8 suggested, via the trouble shooting page from the manual, a few different possibilities. I have checked all of those except the program version. Can anyone tell me how to update the version if it does need updating? Does anyone have the contact information for an authorized repair company?
    BTW - changing the battery in the SR-18 did not fix it either. It does not respond at all to any of the inputs.
    Hi Gary! Welcome back. Sorry to read that the battery swap didn't work.

I found the following information that may help:

You can download and update your DM5 with the latest update by logging onto the Alesis home page. Click on the Docs & Downloads tab on the page to navigate to your update. Under Software & Drivers click on DM5 "Pro Kit - Updated Kit Presets for the DM5 Pro Kit" update. Load via MIDI using MIDIOX (PC) or SysEx Librarian (Mac.)

There isn't a firmware update available for your DM5 kit. Perform a test to see what's going on with it. The test initiates internal diagnostics routines. You can do this by powering up the module while holding the "MIDI" and "DRUMSET" buttons simultaneously. Use the "MIDI" button to advance to the next test or you can try to send it to one of the authorized non warranty repair facilities listed below.

Audio Design and Service
    10764 Van Owen St.
    North Hollywood, CA 91605
    Tel: 818-754-0467

Techniserve
    80 Greenwood Ave
    Midland Park, NJ 07432
    Tel: 201-670-1767

Bammel TV
    14530 Walters Road (@1960 W)
    Houston TX 77014
    Toll Free: 866-832-0287
    Last edited by late8; 10-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.