Thread: Gibraltar bass drum cymbal mount

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar bass drum cymbal mount

Got it mounted yesterday and used it for last nights gig.
    IMG_0197.JPG
    Since it an 18" BD, I had to mount it down on the very outside curve of the shell in order to have clearance between the edge of my 20" ride and 10" mounted tom. Pretty much the same place as this guy did (not a pic of my kit);
    IMG_0198.JPG

Over-all, it's a very solid piece that performs well. The arm does sway slightly from side to side, but not enough to be an issue. It would be more stable if mounted on a 20", 22" or larger BD....that way you could mount it higher up on the shell and the arm wouldn't need to be fully extended up for cymbal clearance over the tom mount post. Also, it's more stable with a lighter 18" ride or a small crash/splash.

Bottom line, it's a stretch for use on an 18" bass with a heavy 20" ride, BUT, it's not a problem. It works well and outside of a little sway, it's more than stable enough. It really doesn't move much at all when playing a normal ride. If it was a heavy Rock Ride or crash, it may be noticeable, but still not enough to be a real issue. The weight savings in my hardware bag by eliminating another cymbal stand is awesome.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar bass drum cymbal mount

How did you mount it. Did you have to drill holes on the side of the BD. Would that put some strain on the BD side. Just curious.

User Info Menu

Yep. Drilled two 5/16" holes. I suppose it does put some stress on it...especially being directly on the side. It it was more towards the top, the force would be more directly into the shell, as opposed to tangent to it. I might end up making a metal backing plate to go on the inside of the shell.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Also, this is Sound Percussion Bop kit...which I bought off CL for $100. I have no reservations about drilling holes in it. This was a kind of "test run" to see if I liked having the ride mounted off the BD (and I do). When I finally assemble my new Ludwig kit, I'll use the Atlas mount system;
    IMG_0199.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

yeah that Ludwig atlas setup is nifty.
    You just swap out the lugs to their lugs I assume?

As far as a plate you could also just go get some bigger washers which will help disperse the weight

User Info Menu

Man this would work for me! I looked at my 1 up 1 down set up and I found that I place my ride exactly where the old vintage kits had the ride cymbal holder bolted to the kick:

My '66 Ludwig kit had two holes that were drilled for the ride cymbal holder. I'm going to look into finding the vintage cymbal arm and holder once I get this kit back up and running.

User Info Menu

That would be awesome for you indeed Late
    Would really clean up the look so you could see the floor tom better too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That would be awesome for you indeed Late
    Would really clean up the look so you could see the floor tom better too.
    Good point Spaz, it will certainly open up the clutter around the floor tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Man this would work for me! I looked at my 1 up 1 down set up and I found that I place my ride exactly where the old vintage kits had the ride cymbal holder bolted to the kick:

My '66 Ludwig kit had two holes that were drilled for the ride cymbal holder. I'm going to look into finding the vintage cymbal arm and holder once I get this kit back up and running.

Yep, it would be excellent in your case. The 22" BD means the mount can be on the top half of the circumference and the arm would be short. With no center tom post mount, it's even better. I really love it; looks vintage, it's functional AND eliminates a cymbal stand.
    On your old Ludwigs, I'd probably go with the Atlas lug mount in stead of drilling holes. You don't really need two like the pic I posted. Just use one Atlas lug mount and then the L-rod and arm of your choice!

My 28" Luddy project drum is big enough that I'm going to just use an old receptical bracket from a telescoping spur and a typical 10.5mm cymbal boom arm. The arm will just slide down right into the drum; just like a car radio antenna. It should be super sturdy for use with my big 22" Z3 ride, and will only need to be extended about 6". For transport, it could be retracted down into the shell.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

My 28" Luddy project drum is big enough that I'm going to just use an old receptical bracket from a telescoping spur and a typical 10.5mm cymbal boom arm. The arm will just slide down right into the drum; just like a car radio antenna. It should be super sturdy for use with my big 22" Z3 ride, and will only need to be extended about 6". For transport, it could be retracted down into the shell.
    That's an ingenious idea Brian; 6" extension that telescopes into the shell!

User Info Menu

Finally got a pic of the mount in "gig form". The ride cymbal is a 20" medium ride. I took some time to play with everything and found the adjustments that appear to work best. I raised the 10" tom as high up on the ball-L rod as was safe, and then lowered the 1" tube mount as far down into the bass drum. This allowed me to drop the ride cymbal tube arm as far down on the L-rod as possible and give me as much clearance as possible around the edge of the ride cymbal. It worked pretty well. The ride was noticeably more stable at the lower setting. Plenty of room to allow for cymbal movement as well.
    IMG_0239.jpg

No issues with the setup at all. The ride will still sway back and forth if you move it with your hand, but it doesn't move while playing. Not sure I'd want to try a heavier ride or crash, but for what I do, it works excellent. If I use my 18" ride, it's even better.
    I will say this...it DOES work with an 18"BD and a 20" medium ride. If you use a larger (20"+ ) bass drum, it would be even better.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

That looks like a great fun kit!

User Info Menu

Nice mod! Is there a shot of the ride from the floor tom side?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice mod! Is there a shot of the ride from the floor tom side?
    Not yet. I keep forgetting. The only time the kit is out of the bag is for gigs, and my mind is usually preoccupied with our sound system, LOL.
    -Brian