Thread: Recording with Audacity, etc

User Info Menu

Default Recording with Audacity, etc

I've seen multiple posts and answers on this subject all over online but I just cannot seem to get a solution.

So my Roland TD11 kit came a couple days ago which coincided perfectly because I've had two days off. I've been playing like crazy and have been loving it since it's been three years since I've had drums. Also realizing how bad I've become at playing and I definitely need lots of practice LOL.

A few things to note so far, I definitely would like to have a second crash cymbal and at some point upgrade the other tom's to mesh. I'm sure that's a common goal people have when getting this kit but it'll work for now and get me started.

My main goal of this post is to figure out other options on recording myself playing along to music. I've seen numerous ideas online (including iRig which seems to be better for Apple but I cannot purchase something like that right now) and the way that people seem to have pretty good luck with is using the USB cord from the kit into the laptop and recording with Audacity. It's easy enough but for the life of me I cannot get the gain any higher. The microphone slider in Audacity is all the way up, the volume knob on the kit is all the way up. And to be honest the quality of the recording is not very good at all. At least when I listened back to it over decent headphones.

Anyone else have any other good ideas?

On a side note, there's a guy that I found online that actually created some very specific sounds from the height of the Def Leppard era for me. He is great and I would like to pass his name on if you are looking for certain sounds to be created. He was even able to recreate that handclap type of sound that is in the song "Animal." I did not get anything for free, I paid for my songs. Very reasonable though. I hope I'm not violating any standards here. His name is Piero Peluche. And is turn around is amazing!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording with Audacity, etc

I used to use Audacity with a Lame plug-in (which allowed for converting to MP3s.). I would use a line mixer and mix my guitar with the recordings I was playing to through the computer and into Audacity. Worked great. Save the recording and export to MP3. This is for strictly audio of course.

Anymore, and especially with drumming, I just use a Zoom Q8 or any other HD cam-corder and just record the ambient sounds with the video. It gets the job done. I've even been brave enough to post them on YouTube.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

A USB audio interface could work. Have a look at the Behringer U-phoria or Focusright scarlett. Shouldn't be too expensive because you only need one input.
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    A USB audio interface could work. Have a look at the Behringer U-phoria or Focusright scarlett. Shouldn't be too expensive because you only need one input.
    You know I have a turtle Beach USB soundcard that I used Forever with my laptop when DJing...could something like that help?