Thread: What five bands or artists influenced your playing style the most?

User Info Menu

Default What five bands or artists influenced your playing style the most?

For me it would have to be Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, The Band, Def Leppard, Third Day, and Prince. (Wide variety of music, but I've picked up something from all of them.)

Rick Allen from Def Leppard is the reason I play drums. I first saw a video of him when I was about six years old, and ran around the house with my left arm tucked inside of my shirt, hitting pots and pans with wooden spoons. It grew from there, and now I'm 37 and still playing, but play more blues and gospel than anything. That's where a lot of those other groups come into play.

As of now, Chris "Whipper" Layton is probably my favorite drummer, by far.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: What five bands or artists influenced your playing style the most?

Buddy Rich, 1st and foremost, then Louie, Max, Shawn, Morello. Once I "discovered" jazz, I realized that the drumming in the mid to late '50's on into the early '60's was simplistic stuff.

I have always considered myself a jazz drummer who played R&R for the money, but jazz was always where I wanted to be.

Right now, this young lady is my favorite drummer to watch:

Playing for just over 5 years, I find her amazing.

User Info Menu

I'd have to say;

Skynyrd
    Thorogood
    Zep
    Stones
    CCR
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

As i am just beginning my journey playing the Drums i can't name 5 bands at the moment lol
    But my style at the moment leans very much towards Simon Kirke of Free and Bad Co his playing is very influential at the moment plus i'm a huge fan of both bands...i would very much like to get into Ian Paice and Brian Downey aswell but would struggle....just learning some Free and Bad Co songs but heavily influenced by the classic 70's Rock scene and 60's Rhythm n Blues but enjoying the challenges immensely

User Info Menu

I grew up listening to (and playing along with) Beatles, Animals, Stones, Dave Clark 5 and Hermits (clearly, I enjoyed the British invasion).
    A few years later it changed to Purple, Zepp, Tull, Cream and Yes.................maturity set in a bit, but still very British.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Rolling Stones
    Motown
    Queen
    Prince
    Slayer

My parents loved music and we were raised in a very diverse family. As a kid my dad would play jazz and Motown. I remember being about 4-5 and my putting those big headphones on my head and I would listen to the drums. My mom played the Stones, Queen, Prince and other R&B bands. We had a real big stereo system with huge speakers my parents were always throwing parties. When I got to high school I discovered hard rock and heavy metal, then speed / thrash metal and finishing with punk. I bought my first drumset at 21 and not to long after that I was in my first band. We were a thrash/speed/death metal band with minor success. I was getting into a lot of trouble in so cal so I moved to Central California took a 2 year break from drumming and everything else. Moving there really changed my life and gave me a new appreciation for life and music. I lived in a Air Force town so there were people of all walks of life so I was introduced to country, classic rock, blues, and ska punk. I moved back home and started playing again this whole story shaped the way I play now. Trying to be as well rounded as possible.

User Info Menu

VH
    Priest
    AC/DC
    Zep
    Journey

User Info Menu

I have no idea.
    Mmm... Saturns.